Tivo on DirecTV without a DirecTV Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bjbyers, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bjbyers

bjbyers New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I have two DirecT Tv Tivo's (HR10-250 (still waiting for rebate mind you) and R10). I am thinking of getting Non-direcTv Tivos (series 2) so I can transfer between units, HMO, TIvo to Go, and other cool things I will probably never use but sound cool.

So, I know some of these are dumb but...

1) Does this mean I would have a regular DirecTv receiver and the Tivo would be between the DirecTv Receiver and the TV? If so, is the Tivo only going to be as fast (ie: Guide) as the Receiver? Meaning, so I need a fancy DTV receiver or can it just be a junk one on the backend?

2) If I get rid of my DTV Tivo's (here I come ebay) and get Regular Series 2 Tivos, I need to pay their monthly or lifetime fee I assume. Does this mean I won't have to pay the monthly DirecTV "Tivo Service" Fee on top of that? Or do they still get me? Any other fees/charges I should be aware of?

3) I have not seen any of the Series 2 Tivo's saying they are High Def. This is the one (and only, frankly) thing I like about the HR10-250. Are they?

Just trying to get out of the "Its a Direct Tv Tivo so no upgrade and no HMO features" Stranglehold without breaking the bank.

Brett

2. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    Search in these forums for the Zipper... and read this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=265929&page=1&pp=30
    and then decide if you still want to switch to a standalone to get that stuff you said.

The standalone will not be able to record two things at the same time, and for me that has always trumped anything that TiVo might provide easily to those units.

3. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Plus the added cost, and lower video quality. I would deffinately look at zipper or other modes of modification.

4. headytiger

headytiger New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    You can use a Series 2 with Direct TV. No fees from DTV. Your Series 2 controls your existing reciever by either a serial connection or ir blaster depending upon what model sattelite reciever you have. A sat reciever that accepts a serial connection is the way to go.

5. bjbyers

bjbyers New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will read this thread, but from the other one's I have seen there is no Tivotogo if you are on a DTV box. And, I am so fed up with my very costly HR10-250 which is just pure junk (beside the HD picture...)... I spent most of my day watching "please wait" on the screen I was hoping there would be another option where I could get tivo to go too. I'll read your link, thanks!