Tivo on 2 levels of house help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by arich35, Mar 19, 2018.

1. arich35

arich35 New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Advertisements

So I have never had Tivo before but am interested in switching over. We currently have Charter TV on 1 TV of the house (split level) upstairs. Our internet and cable are ran off a splitter coming upstairs from outside. Our downstairs doesn't have a coax hookup and the modem/router are upstairs.

I would like to have a main Tivo upstairs then a mini VoX downstairs so we can actually get cable on two TV's. Is there a way to accomplish this rather easily?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Easily, no. Possible, yes. What's your budget?

My modem and router are on one floor. My Mini is next door. My Roamio is on a different floor. It can be done, but not on the cheap.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you do not have coax or ethernet connections, its harder to connect a Mini. Wireless is not an option.

4. slatimer72

slatimer72 Member

Jan 13, 2018
    drill a hole and run ethernet to the mini downstairs. I actually run my ethernet from my upstairs router down through the laundry shoot and then up under my downstairs tv. I know that probably isn't possible in your current setup.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

How hard would it be for the intended Mini VOX location *to* have a coax hookup that links back to the shared coax plant?

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Y'all forgot to take your happy pills today. ;) Yes, it can be done, and easily and less-expensively enough. But, YMMV.

1. Wireless: Connect your main TiVo box upstairs via Ethernet. Put the Mini downstairs, and attach it to a wireless bridge wirelessly connected to your network (thereby "getting around" the requirement that the Mini be connected to your network by Ethernet/MoCA). Note: this works for some people, for others, no, or sometimes fine at first and problematic later--it tends to depend on the robustness of your wireless network.

2. Powerline adapter: Same as above, but this time, connect the Mini to a Powerline adapter which plugs into and sends the signal over your regular wall electrical line. Another Powerline adapter at your router completes the circuit. Again, success varies, and some people have had no issue whatsoever with this, others, yes.

IMHO, if you experiment with these routes and need to buy the networking equipment (which easily could be under $100, for good stuff), best to do so from a source where you easily can return the equipment, if matters don't pan out.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. arich35

arich35 New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thank you guys.

I was more seeing if there was a simple solution to this. I don't think it is worth putting a lot of money into to save $5-10 bucks a month.

I would probably have to have a cable guy come out to set up a coax down stairs

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Powerline Ethernet has worked for plenty of people as well as the above WiFi workaround.

-KP

9. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    A lot of the answer depends on the physical construction of your house and how fussy you are with wire placement/visibility.

The very first thing I would suggest you try is the powerline Ethernet adapter. These usually work very well, and it is an extremely easy solution for you if it works - no drilling or new wires of any kind.

The next option would be running a new Cat6 Ethernet wire downstairs. This is where it all depends on the house design and construction, but it is usually very easy for a professional and difficult for the average homeowner. The most simple bit of luck is if your router or Ethernet switch is located above a downstairs closet, laundry room, or other such place where you would not mind an exposed wired running down the wall. If you have this luck, then you do not need to drill through the interior of the wall baseboards at all; instead, you can just drill a small hole next to the wall and drop a wire straight down. Of course, this would also require the location of that wires to be within easy access to where you want the new downstairs TV!

There are other options that we could talk about for routing wires or coax, but if you need to ask about them, then you really probably need to call either a cable guy or an electrician to evaluate your house and do the work. Good luck.

10. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    How good is your existing router? If you have a reasonably fast router you probably can pull it off by getting something like a Tenda AC1200 router for $40, setting it in bridge mode and connecting it to the Mini.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  12. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I have been watching this thread because I have a similar issue. Based on the prior post, I didn't realize that you can get a Mini to work with a Roamio OTA with just a Ethernet-2-WiFi Universal Wireless Adapter. Is it that simple, you just need a device that can get wireless internet and plug it into the mini's Ethernet connection? I thought you needed a wired connection? How does the Roamio communicate to the Mini without a wired connection?

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Let's be clear. In this environment (as opposed to MoCA) the Roamio and the Mini talk to the router. If a wireless bridge is used, it talks to the router and the Mini and/or Mini talk to it.

A Premiere has no wireless. TiVo makes a wireless N adapter that connects to the Premiere's Ethernet port. The Premiere thinks it is wired. A very old and not so good way to do it. But in a (almost) perfect world it can work.

Yes, a wireless bridge can be used. The two I use also can be managed from a PC. One has a signal % of 50. The other is -55dB. Both have are 99.9% reliable. Nothing is perfect. TiVo has improved their networking since 20.7.2 was released. Unless you have a bunch of devices you never notice.

Step one: get a really fast powerful router. After that it's all downhill.

14. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Not sure how powerful my router is. I know I have internet speeds of 100 mbps and it runs on the 2.4 GHz N band. Is that enough?

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    2.4GHz seems to tops at 50mbps and 5g can reach 100mbps.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Problem with wireless is no amount of calculation can substitute for observation. In other words: maybe, with a slight edge to maybe not. Also, your internet speed is not a factor. Your older 802.11N may not cut it. I'm using a Netgear R8000 and all devices (except a printer) are 802.11ac at 5GHz. There is an R9000, but what I have works. Sorry I can't help more. MoCA is better and much more reliable.

17. PSU77

PSU77 Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Ah, you are right. I meant the wired internet speed is 100 mbps. I just checked wireless speed and it is only 30 mbps. I guess there is no easy way to do it. I guess I will just wait for a Roamio to go on sale around Christmas. Thanks for all of the input.

18. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You seem to still be using the word "internet" where is does not belong - I think you are actually talking about your LAN speed (LOCAL AREA Network), limited just to your own house. Depending on where and how you are measuring it, this speed is generally determined by the max speed of your router.

And although 100 Mbps is blazingly fast for an Internet connection, it is actually quite slow for a modern LAN. 100 Mbps is fast enough for most things at home, but he standard for many years now has been 1,000 Mbps (1 Gbps). A 1 Gbps LAN will make a huge difference in how fast large video files can be transferred between devices, but that is still unrelated to any available wireless LAN speeds.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What happened to the original plans for OTA and a Mini as described in your November thread, here:

MoCA sounded doable, but you dropped-off.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What @V7Goose said, but with the caveat that the 4-tuner Roamio models and pre-VOX Minis all use FastEthernet (100 Mbps) interfaces -- although the Minis do also include MoCA 1.1 connectivity, which can exceed 100 Mbps (up to ~170 Mbps). But, again, any communication with a 4-tuner Roamio faces the 100 Mbps bottleneck of the only wired way in or out of the box, its FastE port.