Tivo Now Playing RSS Feed

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by BOfH, Nov 16, 2005.

1. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003

Advertisements

I wanted an RSS feed for my Now Playing list that would load correctly inside the Safari RSS reader (and other aggregators). I couldn't find anything that did exactly what I wanted in this space, so I rolled my own...

[​IMG]

It's a TivoWeb module that produces a valid XML/RSS feed for your Now Playing list. It includes the title, episode title, summary and correctly formats the date so your aggregator can sort by recording time.

More info and download here: Now Playing RSS

My TivoStatus Wordpress pluging here: TivoStatus

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    VERY Cool
    downloading now.
    I wonder if there's a way to turn them into links that VLC will play.

3. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Oooh.
    I get to ASK a tech support question for a change.
    When clicking on either a show title or more info I get the following:

Code:
    INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
    --cut here--
    action_showing '/805894/11' ''
    invalid attribute: Date
        while executing
    "dbobj $showing get Date"
        ("uplevel" body line 8)
        invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
        invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
        (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
        invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
        if { [regexp {([0-9]*)/(.*)} $objectid junk fsid subobjid] } {
          set showing [db $db openidconstruction $fsid $subobjid]
      ..."
        (procedure "::action_showing" line 24)
        invoked from within
    "::action_$action $chan $part $env"
        ("eval" body line 1)
        invoked from within
    "eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
    --cut here--
    I'm running the latest TWP and have done a FULL restart.

4. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Two things...

First: links to start VLC - good idea; I'll add a config option to allow it to do that.

Second: I don't use TivoWebPlus, just the stock 1.9.4 TivoWeb. When I click on an episode title from my nowshowing list (http://my.tivo/nowshowing/) I am taken to a URL of the form:

http://my.tivo/showing/$fsid/11

Where $fsid is, obviously, the ID of the show in question.

If someone can tell me the right URL for TivoWebPlus, I'll code it so it works for TWP too.

Is it possible to run TivoWeb and TivoWebPlus on the same box (on different ports)? It'd make debugging stuff like this easier.

Update: New Version (0.2) with tivo:// video streaming links. No fix for the other issue yet though.

Cheers,
    Howard

5. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

BofH,
    you sure can run both tw and twp on a S1. Series 2 Dtivos are better running tivowebplus because it handles 2 tuners.
    twp can be found at http://tivowebplus.sourceforge.net/
    This project is awesome by the way.

6. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone else would even want such a thing, but as I'd written it I thought I may as well share!

I've checked the TivoWebPlus code, and it points to the same URL for show info (tivo/showing/fsid/11) so you shouldn't see any errors. Do you get that message for every show in the RSS feed?

Howard
    (BOfH)

7. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    yes I picked 10-15 links randomly they all did it.
    is the format of the url correct? http://192.168.1.106/showing/801235/11
    just noticed if I use the ui section in twp I get a url with a /12
    edited the script replacing the /11 with /12 and all is well :D

8. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    ok got new version
    added my /12
    turned on vserver links.
    what am I missing for those to work? I click on show title and get the infopage (aren't I a PAIN) :D
    oops spoke too soon
    clicking on a show generates this error:
    Safari can’t open “tivo://192.168.1.106/801232” because Mac OS X doesn’t recognize Internet addresses starting with “tivo:”.

9. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Yup, OS X will do that. I have exactly the same issue on OS X. On Windows however I know how to configure IE/Firefox to launch VLC when you click a tivo:// link. Take a look at this guide here.

I've been unable to find a way to configure Safari (or Firefox on OS X for that matter) to behave the same way. If you work it out please let me know!

Those links will work on a Windows aggregator to launch VLC with the correct stream, it's just OS X that it breaks in for now. :(

I'll update the code to use the /12 for TivoWebPlus - thanks for that pointer.

Howard

10. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Now that you've opened this can of worms :D
    there's a video enabled aggregator called DTV that is very very new. I've been unable to get my now playing list to show up there though.
    check out http://dtvmac.com

11. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    yet another post from me
    I can only get this to work in safari for some reason.
    Other aggregators I've tried have said not a valid feed

12. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
  13. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Safari is Mac only right?

14. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Yep. But if you want vserver links working in Internet Explorer or Firefox on Windows, use the registry hack at the bottom of this guide.

I'm going to have to take a look at the feed my RSS module generates, as while it is valid for Safari, it does break other readers. :( Time to dig out the official RSS 2.0 spec!

H

15. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
  16. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Any thing for the ba$tard operator from Hell :D

17. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I installed this last night and it works like a charm. (Thanks for the inspiration, Gunny. And thanks for creating and sharing a wonderful module, BOfH!) I can view the RSS just wonderfully in Safari. And I was happily surprised to see that it even works when I connect from outside my home network, through a Orenosp Proxy I'd set up for security. :up:

I do notice however that the Series Name as well as the episode description shows... but not the episode title.

For example, last night's Family Guy says:

"Family Guy
    Fofer's Tivo
    Yesterday, 09:00 PM
    Lois learns she has a brother she has never met (Robert Downey Jr.), so she brings him home from a mental institution to live with her family. Read more…"

...but nowhere does it say "Fat Guy Strangler."

And when I click "Read more" it actually starts playing the video via VLC. Which is nice, of course. (Any way to get that link to read "Stream Video" instead? Or is that built in to Safari's RSS rendering engine?)

18. BOfH

BOfH New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Hi Fofer - glad you like the module!

I'll take the last question first - the "Read More" is part of the Safari RSS renderer, so we can't change it unfortunately. I could alter the RSS to output a "view video" link at the end of the description, and leave the "read more" to be the link to the info page. What do you think?

As to missing episode titles... when you look at the info page for that Family Guy episode, does it show "Fat Guy Strangler" in the Episode Title row? If my code can't see a valid episode title it doesn't display anything - if it can, it places it in quotes at the front of the description. So you'd have seen:

Family Guy
    "Fat Guy Strangler" blah blah description here blah blah _Read More_

If it finds nothing, or "No Episode Title" or "Not an Episode" it doesn't include the quotes.

If your Tivo *does* have an episode title for the show, then we have a problem, which I'm sure we can work out. Which Tivoweb are you using?

Cheers,
    Howard
    (BOfH)

19. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I would love an added video link myself. It would be nice to be able to "see more info" OR "play now"
    Great project. I use it daily.

20. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    That would be great. Right now, clicking the Series name, "Fofer's TiVo," the date of the recording, or "Read More" on any of the entries all do the same thing - they open VLC and allow me to stream the video by clicking the play button. Which works great, BTW.

Not one of the links goes to an "info" page. It would probably make more sense if those thinks all went to an "Info" page... with a new link specifically titled "View Video" taking me to VLC.

Yes, my TiVo does have episode titles for many (if not most) of my shows... but none appear in this RSS page. I am running TivoWebPlus Project - v1.2.1.

Gunny, do you get individual episode titles on your RSS feed?