Tivo Note Seeing iTunes Music

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by drummonds, Jul 21, 2007.

1. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007

Advertisements

Hi, all,

I recently completed setting up my Tivo Series 3. When I go to the "Music, Photos..." item in the menu it sees my MacPro notebook. When I browse its content, it sees all of my podcasts (primarily news) but none of my music. All of my music was ripped from CDs I own. So, there should be no DRM issue.

Any ideas why my Tivo can't see the rest of my iTunes collection?

Scott

2. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    Did you rip it as non-DRMed AAC or MP3?

3. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I ripped to AAC. I don't see any options for enabling DRM so I presume that it is the non-DRM variety.

Please don't tell me that Tivo doesn't play AAC files. I really don't want to rip my entire collection again.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The TiVo doesn't play AAC files. You really need to rip your entire collection again.

No foolin'.

5. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004

Advertisements

You should be able to play non-DRM AAC files on your Tivo if you use this plug-in http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=295778

6. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    A couple of comments:

First, ForrestB, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my iTunes collection is on my Mac. So, I don't think that the plugin (which is distributed in an MSDOS executable) will work.

Second, after Googling "tivo AAC" I found a good site. I can't include the URL do to my low number of posts, but Google the same and the first site returned provides instructions for transcoding AAC files for Tivo.

I've since tried installing lame, and that kind of improved things. Now my Tivo can see my entire AAC collection. However, attempts to play any of the songs generate only static. Any ideas how I can debug this?

Scott

7. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Ah, Google again to the rescue! I found out that my lame encoder is choking on the big endian/little endian switch that occured when Macs went to Intel. I was able to create a wrapper script that simply inserted -x in the lame command line. The was courtesy of a URL I found by search for "tivo acc lame static". Again, I can't post the URL itself until I've contributed a little more to this forum.

Thanks, all!

8. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Wow - great job.

I realized just after I posted that link that it was a PC plugin - but wasn't sure if you were running Windows on your Intel Mac. If so, the plugin should have worked fine.

One question - does fast LAME convert the AAC files on the fly while playing them, or does it convert your files to LAME (doubling your iTunes library size)?

9. drummonds

drummonds New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    ForrestB,

It appears that the conversion is done on-the-fly. The CPU load on my notebook is bound to whether or not I'm playing music. I can literally hit play/pause on the Tivo and watch my utilization go to 38% and back to 0% again.

Plus, I've got a library of many hundreds of CDs and there was no long pre-processing before I started listening to music.

Scott