TiVo Not Responding After Fall Update

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivouser8786, Oct 14, 2007.

1. tivouser8786

tivouser8786 New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    I have a TiVo Series2 DVR hooked up to DIRECTV. Ever since the Fall software update a week-and-a-half ago, my TiVo DVR kept on rebooting whenever I'd try to watch Live TV. Occasionally, it would reboot when I tried to watch something that I already had saved on the DVR. I called technical support, and they told me to unplug the DVR (which I did) to do a complete reboot. I did this, but when I plugged it back in it didn't work at all. No video came from the DVR, but it let the audio from my DIRECTV receiver come through. All the lights on the DVR are on, but it doesn't respond to anything. A blank screen with the DIRECTV audio signal is all I get.

Technical support explained about the different partitions and how I'll probably need to get a new DVR. I'm okay with this, but is there any way I could possibly first get the shows off of my current DVR and not lose them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check the upgrade and underground forums for some info.

3. tivouser8786

tivouser8786 New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Thanks for the advice. I looked around and found several things about inserting the hard drive into a computer, but I'd really rather not do that at this time. Is there any way I could possibly just get the TiVo to startup for a short time, just long enough to see some of the shows that are stored?

If I open up my TiVo box, what should I look for? I remember reading something about a switch that starts the hard drives. Could that possibly be the problem? Is there anything else I should look for once I have the TiVo open?

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated. :)