Tivo Not Refunding Money

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by seaninde, Oct 31, 2019.

1. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I returned a Tivo edge and they accepted and signed for it on Oct 17th. Called them twice about it and they keep giving me run around saying it will be refunded next day. Next day goes by and no refund. First they say they received it on oct 22nd and they say it takes 10 days. Then I say no I have a fedex tracking that shows you got it on the 17th. Then they say oh yes I stand corrected it was 17th and will be refunded tomorrow. Its like they just make stuff up as they are going along. It is ridiculous. I won't ever buy from Tivo directly again.
    Customer Service is useless. Is this how you run a company in 2019?
    Anyone else having trouble getting refunds?

CopRock likes this.
  2. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Call your Credit Card company and dispute/reverse the charges, that usually makes them get their shaite together

3. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I've seen this on a number of threads that TiVo is always slow with refunds and I've experience it myself. It's just how they process things and possibly so they can check over the unit to make sure everything is there.

4. Nov 1, 2019 #4 of 42
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Breathe -- deeply. And give it a few more days . . . .

Sparky1234 likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2019 #5 of 42
    gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    "Empty box"(*) scams (by both sellers and buyers) are common enough that one needs to have someone other than receiving (which just accepts the packages at large companies) check that what has been returned is what was expected, and only reasonable use has occurred(**). And while many would claim *they* would never do such a thing (and they likely would not), it happens often enough that it costs some companies millions and millions of dollars, so they do have to check what was returned was what was sent before they refund the purchase. The reality is that the miscreants have made life more difficult for those that would never consider trying such things.

(*) And while completely empty boxes are the most clear cut example, returning electronics without the guts (order with 512GB of memory and an RTX 2080 GPU, and return with only 16GB and a GTX 1050 , or order an iPhone 11, and return with the internals gone), or returning something completely different (order a iPad Pro, return an original iPad Air) are also well known scams.

(**) such as not using a baseball bat on the device, or accidentally flushing a device down the toilet, and than trying to return it as "lightly used"/"unwanted".

Willy92, kettledrum and randyb359 like this.
  6. Nov 1, 2019 #6 of 42
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Refunds / credits always take longer than charges. Companies are fast to take your money and very slow to return it.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Nov 1, 2019 #7 of 42
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The way the OP is being lied to is insultingly unethical. The individual agents may not deliberately be lying, but their incorrect statements amount to TiVo lies. Unfortunately there is no practical way to hold them accountable. Oh I forgot -- we now have Elizabeth Warren's federal consumer protection bureau. I'm sure they can help. :rolleyes: (Well at least they provide some additional well paying jobs.)

PSU_Sudzi and kpeters59 like this.
  8. Nov 1, 2019 #8 of 42
    randyb359

randyb359 Active Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I use to work for hhgregg. One women bought a $1100 laptop and returned it a few hours later saying she changed her mind. The box appeared to be sealed so the guy doing returns didn't check it. Right after the customer left the manager asked if he had checked it and he no because it was still sealed. She told him every return need to be opened and checked. So he opened it and there was a 5 yo laptop in the box. The customer had given real information when she returned it so the manager called the police and told them what happened and said she wouldn't press charges if she bought the actual laptop back. The police called her and told her bring back the laptop and hhgregg wouldn't press charges. She came back and said she didn't have the laptop anymore. The manager eventually got her to let her rerun the charge on the card. The officer asked if he could search her purse and she agreed. There were a half dozen receipts from other stores where she did the same thing.
    unfortunately people like this make life more difficult for the rest of us.

9. Nov 2, 2019 #9 of 42
    seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    All good points. However remember I was one of first ones to get this brand new device. It did not exist before so there is no way they can receive an old used one. It takes 10 min to open a box, check its serial number, checks for all pieces or plug it in.
    Customer support promised refund would be on 10-31. It is now 11-2 and no refund. They have had this unit in their possession 17 days. They are holding my money earning interest on it when I should be. If I got this from Best Buy or Amazon I would have had refund in 2 days.

10. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Amazon yes. Not Best Buy unless you return to the store. You have to wait for the return to process through the warehouse which can take 7-10 days

11. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    7-10 days I can understand but 17 and growing?

TiVoEvan74 likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    every company is different. Clearly Tivo doesn’t have the return manpower to process quickly. Wouldn’t be surprised if it is one guy or they contract it out

randyb359 likes this.
  13. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    So you're saying they have a lot of returns to handle? :D

compnurd likes this.
  14. randyb359

randyb359 Active Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Or so few that they don't have anyone assigned and someone has to find the time while still doing their regular job. Low volume items are actually the most difficult to handle since a small change makes a relative big difference.

15. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Yeah but how many returns could they possibly be getting, not like Amazon where they sell millions of products. Seems more like a financial situation where they try to hold peoples money to make interest. Are they in that bad financial straits, between these, and now the forced ads in the guide and recordings? As of today still no refund. They promised it would be the 31st. Every time I call they give me a new promise date and they basically lie right to you and don't care. I'm about done with this company.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    TiVo may want the float but they can get away with this because there is little to no competition for their products and they don't see a big incentive reputation-wise from a few people complaining on this forum. The OP has already stated they will never buy from TiVo again, so they don't risk losing that particular customer by not pleasing them.

It's similar to the situation for Cable TV. In many of their service areas they are local monopolies so they can get away with shabby treatment of customers. There are thousands of horrible war stories about cable TV billing practices.

mschnebly and dianebrat like this.
  17. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Once 48hours have past after you have confirmation a return was delivered, simply call your issuing card customer service number and dispute the charge. That’s it, your done.

Now you get to move on with your life, unless of course you enjoy personal drama.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I used to work for a business that did things like this--not a financial distress matter, but a way to make extra money in the theory of, every penny counts (even if that means that you delay your payments to vendors).

compnurd likes this.
  19. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    No refund as of today. 19 days since they signed for the return so far.

20. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    They said nothing they can do as it is not a fraudulent charge.