Tivo not recording stereo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tmonte, Jan 18, 2006.

1. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I have two Model 1 (I think) Tivos - yes had them awhile.

Recently I noticed by playing with TV remotes that I am not recording stereo in the Tivo. I have a cable box and am using coax connections into and out of the Tivo to the TV, and to/from the cable box.

In order to record stereo, must I use the three wires (S-Video and RCA) to connect to Tivo and the cable box?

I actually tried doing this and I couldn't find a way to change the Tivo "setup" to recognize this. Whenever I go to the Setup screen, it just shows me current setup, but doesn't let me change it.

So,
    1. Am I doing the correct thing using these cables to get stereo recorded?
    2. Do I need to change the setup and how?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Use coax and you lose stereo. Yes, you must use the three-wire method. You will have to rerun Guided Setup to tell the TiVo the new connection.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    1. Yes (neither the average cable box nor the TiVo has a stereo modulator.)

2. You should be able to press the up and down arrows on the screen you're talking about.

4. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Do I need to dial-in if I re-run Guided Setup? I don't have the Tivo subscription service and only use Tivos as recorders - can do that with Model 1's. Since, I can't dial-in, I want to be sure that if I reset the outputs, I Idon't lose everything else in setup.

"Dgh" said to use the up/down arrows, but these don't seem to have any effect.

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The only way to change this on a S1 is to rerun Guided Setup. And that will mean a phone call. I don't think this will be a problem for you.

I'm not sure what dgh had in mind regarding the arrows.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    On the "Connection to Recorder" screen, it says to use the up/down arrows to set and test the connection. On my S1 you can do this without doing guided setup.

7. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I can't do a phone call since I have no subscription or monthly service - I only use Tivo as a recorder.

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That doesn't stop the TiVo from making the call, and it shouldn't affect your ability to record without a sub. The TiVo won't get new guide data and the call will be short.

9. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I was able to change the Tivo connection by using the up arrow. I connected it to my digital non-HD comcast box and still can't get it to work. Now I get no comcast connection at all?

The comcast box has a small loop or jumper between two rf inputs also in addition to the RF/input. Should I remove ths jumper?

Any ideas?

What else do I need to do?

What channel do I set to, etc.?

10. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You shouldn't be setting it to a channel at all if you're not using the RF in. That should only be an option if you select RF. I'm not sure what you're doing.

11. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    What I'm saying is what should I try next? When I connect the cables to the Tivo box and Comcast, I get "snow" on the screen.

I know when you go through RF, the TV channel is set to 3.

12. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I don't think that you ever get "snow" from a composite or s-video feed. (Unless the cable box is actually transmitting a signal that looks like snow.) A dead video feed is black.

13. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Oh you're talking about the TV! Yes the TV input needs to be set as well - however your TV does that.

14. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    What should I try next? TV input is set to TV or cable - I tried both.

15. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Set it to Video, Video 1 or whatever. It depends on the TV. The cable/ant selector isn't going to help at all. Maybe if you tell us what kind of TV or upload a picture of the remote, someone can give a better clue.

16. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Main ques is this. Comcast said connect 3-wire cable between TV and Tivo. Is this correct? Or should I use cable to connectbetween Tivo and comcast box?

17. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Use three wires for stereo. If you don't, you'll be recording stereo but it won't make it to your TV so what would be the point?

18. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Yes, I know I need to use 2-audio wires and 1-video. I'm asking between what 2 devices I need to connect them?

19. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Anywhere you want stereo.

20. tmonte

tmonte New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Coming to the conclusion that my problem may be that I need two separate 3-wire connectors, amd only Coax should be from outside to cablebox.

1. From Tivo to cablebox
    2. From Tivo to TV set

Do you agree?