Tivo not outputting signal through HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rellog321, Jan 13, 2019.

1. rellog321

rellog321 New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    I had a busy week, so when I finally had a chance to sit down and watch a show yesterday, I was surprised to see nothing showing for the input the Tivo is on. I tried to unplug and re-plug the HDMI, with no joy. I then rebooted. I get a signal, until boot finishes, and then back to "no signal."

So far I tried it on 3 separate TVs, and with 2 different HDMI cables and the result is the same- no input after boot up.

I did some research, but I was unable to find much info about my current situation. I understand the HDMI might be going, but I would expect it to not work at all then. I tried to use the kickstart 59, but after the initial start, tv loses signal as well.

Any insight/suggestions for getting this thing back up and running? I looked into HDMI repair, but it seems Tivo and Weaknees don't do that. Any idea why? I have a Roamio OTA that I could scavenge parts from, and I'm okay with a soldering iron....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Try the 'Up Arrow' to see if you can change the Output Resolution?

-KP

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Before condemning the HDMI connector, you might try the TiVo composite or component connection. Composite is always 480i. If you have multiple resolutions checked, you can hit the UP button like KP suggested. If you only have one resolution checked, Up does nothing.

gigaquad likes this.
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If the only problem is the video output, you can still use the box by just hooking up your OTA box and streaming from the bad one.

5. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004

Joe's right. The HDMI on Tivos goes out ALL-THE-TIME. I assume someone tried to save a buck when they made them and ended up making crap products. At any rate, the composite out adapter will work and Tivo ships them out ultra fast. We had to do this one one of our Tivos after a storm. Still working fine on composite after 2 years.

lman likes this.
  6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I third they are very sensitive. Every time I get my house cleaned I turn on the TV and get no signal and need to jiggle the HDMI cable to get it to return, it seems when the cleaning girls move the TiVo to dust, it moves the cable enough to cause the picture to go out.

7. rellog321

rellog321 New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys. I will try the up arrow and moving the connector on the back.

From other threads, I had been teetering on whether to buy a new system or pick up a Bolt. My original plan was to upgrade the Roamio to All In, and give it to my Mom, and pick up a Bolt OTA for myself, as I don't use cable.

I guess I'll call today and ask for the upgrade again, and see what they say. The sale on Bolts ends today, so I guess either way, after today, I will have my answer....

Thanks again all.

8. rellog321

rellog321 New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    I tried jiggling the cable, and kickstart 58. Neither worked. I was able to get a $99 lifetime on it though. I did try the composite, and that works. Using that, I was able to get the HDMI working, but only in 480p. Anyone ever hear of that?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean component? Composite has three cables, yellow, red and white, and it only supports SD at 480i. Component has five cables, and will support HD signals, usually up to 1080i. If you are indeed using composite cables, it is not surprising that 480 is all you see, since that is the only thing that works on that kind of cable.

(I'm just going to ignore "HDMI" in that last sentence.)

10. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes. Your box thinks you are trying to steal HD content by connecting it to a non copy protected device. The HORRIBLE HDMI technology was invented for one purpose only - to STOP you from ever recording the output of an HD device. So they have effectively stolen your entire device from you by assuming that you are a crook.

It works at 480p output because that is not HD and they are not trying to protect it.

There HAVE been software problems in TiVo boxes that made the HDMI signal handshake unreliable, but I believe all of those have been fixed at this time. The problem is often just a bad HDMI cable, but it can just as easily be caused by a defective HDMI connector on either the TiVo or the TV. You might try spraying some electronic contact cleaner into the connectors on both boxes and the cable - it is a long shot, but that can sometimes fix it.

fcfc2 likes this.
  11. rellog321

rellog321 New Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give the cleaner a try. I have a HDMI splitter, that I'll give a shot too.

Ej42137- I hooked up composite to set the HDMI resolution at 480p. I have the 4 tuner cable/ota, it doesn't have component.

12. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    So you connected the composite cable to one TV and the HDMI cable to another?

Or you connected the composite cable to a TV, set 480p resolution, then connected the HDMI cable and saw a picture? And then you were unable to set any other resolution?

13. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    I am going to say all these issues with folks and the HDCP are tivo hardware.

Ive done everything possible to fix and have been using component last 2 years. Today i had some other issues and no matter what tv i hooked up the tivo to same thing. All devices hooked up to the main TV no hdcp problems.

Like i said ive been getting by , and this happened a few years ago after a simple disconnect.

Main downside is if i get a new tv, most dont have component. Also netflix for this whole duration when using component does not give you HD on the tivo.

I too may give a call, appreciate your post.

14. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If it's an HDCP issue, you can probably getting around it by using a splitter, such as this, to strip HDCP. However, do not use this to connect an HDMI recording device!

15. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Just tried this week, $60 switch 3 way with optical from amazon. It did not fix the issue. Its all good, been running 2 years like this. I am going to call and see i can swap the lifetime for a fee.

I had a strong feeling this was the Tivo going crazy and today moving it around , and adding other devices with no issues over hdmi to the tv only confirmed it.

Yay for component though.

16. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    A switch wouldn't be considered to accomplish the same thing as a splitter. Some splitters (apparently) can strip HDCP. I haven't heard that about any switches.

-KP

17. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    In fact, the HDMI switches I have tried all replicated the HDCP protection whereas the splitters do not. I'm guessing that it's a harder problem to authorize two devices at the same time than to just authorize the splitter itself, so the splitter people took the easy way out. Or perhaps the HDCP spec doesn't allow for two display devices at one time.

18. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Buyer Beware. Unfortunately, there are numerous current reviews on Amazon that indicate the most current version of this splitter no longer strips HDCP. GAWD I HATE THE TOADS IN THIS INDUSTRY THAT DO THIS TO US!!!!

19. okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    This is the problem I just encountered today during the middle of a program. All of a sudden, the sound went out. I tested the TVs speakers with an antenna connected to coaxial and the speakers are fine. I decided to try swapping the HDMI cable, and one cable gave me a message about a non-compliant HDCP device. Other cables will give me 480i and no sound! This is on a A95 newly bought VOX mini with the plastic still on it! I think the problem is the HDMI connector on either the Tivo or the TV, but from what I'm reading here it sounds like the VOX mini is the problem. This is such a headache!

20. okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    After troubleshooting, it looks like the HDMI port on the television is the culprit. VOX mini works as expected on another TV.