TiVo not getting all channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by VancTivo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1 of 14
    VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    I have now run guided setup 7 times and cannot get the TiVo series 2 (540) DVR to recognize all of my Comcast (Vancouver, WA) channels.
    I receive channels 1-99 with my digital cable package for the analog stations, however the TiVo only recognizes ch 1-32 and 72-74, 99.
    Channels 33-69 are missing and cannot be loaded.
    Please help! This is really frustrating.
    This is a year old enhanced box.
    Service release #: 7.2.1-oth-01-2-540
    I also have a second DVR that has no issues.
    This is not hooked to a cable box.
    TIA

2. Dec 3, 2005 #2 of 14
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What type of service do you actually have?

Analog, or digital?

If you have no digital cable box, then you don't have digital. You have analog.

This includes if you've split the cable and sent a "straight cable" signal into the TiVo with no box. The TiVo would be getting analog cable.

Are you using a cable box with the problem TiVo or not?

What type of service are you telling the TiVo you have when doing Guided Setup?

3. Dec 3, 2005 #3 of 14
    VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    I do have digital cable but am not hooked up to the tivo.
    I just want to get the analog channels.
    I say I have cable w/o a cable box.

4. Dec 3, 2005 #4 of 14
    gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Feed the cable directly into the TiVo.

When you're doing Guided Setup, tell the TiVo you have regular analog cable from your cable provider.

Consider what options there are for analog service with them, and try to determine which level of service gives you the channels you're missing. Tell the TiVo you have that level of service.

See if that does it for you.

You may have made a mistake in how you selected your service provider and service level.

5. Dec 3, 2005 #5 of 14
    VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    I do not have screens where I can select the level of service. As well the only questions that are asked about my cable lineup is if I receive premium channels.
    I have in the past set the tivo up with the cable box and was asked many more questions about "which channel do you receive on 121 or 4 or 66 etc.

I believe my software version is corrupt.

I also remember seeing a screen that showed which type of input is was using.
    The other issue is that TiVo customer care is not helping me because I have an "enhanced" box.

This thing worked great for about a year, and now it is almost worthless.

6. Dec 3, 2005 #6 of 14
    mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Dude, this is the third thread you have going on this. A number of people have answered your question but you seem to be fixated on your software version.

Re-do Guided Setup

If the channels in question are only availabe via your cable box you will not be able to get them without it, TiVo or no TiVo. It cannot give you channels you do not subscribe to. I am assuming this is the problem but you never give enough information to be sure.

7. Dec 3, 2005 #7 of 14
    gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    As said above, you're making some sort of mistake here. First you say there are no options displayed on what level of service you have, and then you say you're asked if you receive premium channels.

You also say you have an "enhanced" box.

WHAT does that even mean?

Finally, you say it worked for a year.

WHAT has changed?

Did you move (and now have a new cable system)?

Did you hack the box with software from an unreliable source?

Has your box updated its software from TiVo?

Finally, you say the TiVo asked you what channel you receive on 121...

TiVo tuners can't get channel 121, which means you must have been using it with a cable box.

I've told you before, if you used a cable box with this TiVo before, but aren't now, you can NOT tell the TiVo you currently have digital cable.

You HAVE TO tell it you have analog cable. Do NOT tell it you have your company's digital service.

I really feel you may not be paying attention to the things we're saying to help you.

Maybe you should write down, step by step, EVERYTHING you do when going thru setup, EVERYTHING that appears on the screen (leave out NOTHING), and then type your notes up and present them here.

Maybe then we can figure out how to help you and what's really going on.

8. Dec 3, 2005 #8 of 14
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Also, review the other threads for more info on your problem. But, I suspect they all will say the same thing. At least I did.

Re-run Guided Setup from the beginning.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, you probably lost where you asked the question before. To find other posts of your own, you can do a search on your username.

9. Dec 3, 2005 #9 of 14
    VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    For the record I have complete guided setup 4 times from start to finish.
    I am here trying to use the resources of this community to solve my issue.

I originally purchased this particular box from weaknees (187 hr capacity) in Nov. of 2004. At that time I only had Comcast extended basic cable (analog). At the same time I purchased an 80 unmodified box from Costco. That box still receives all correct analog channels from 1-99 with no issues.

I have recently moved and upgraded to digital cable from Comcast, it is the same area so the lineup did not change.
    I do not have the tivo unit operating, or running through the digital cable box at all. I am using a splitter so I can watch digital channels and record analog channels at the same time.
    Now here is where my problem occurs. In my software version I do not have any option during guided setup to select my type of cable lineup. I am only asked if I receive premium channels and if I am using a cable box.
    I am not asked any questions regarding which station is broadcast on which channel.
    I do not want to use the digital cable box with the Tivo, as I do not know if I will keep the digital part of my service. Does the tivo ask the "channel" questions if you answer "no" to using a cable box?
    Does anyone here know if version 7.2.1 took away some of the choices in guided setup that might make a difference with my problem?

The reason I have posted in a variety of threads is to get the most information about my problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some guidance on my issue.

10. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Does "enhanced" simply mean a larger hard drive? Or does it mean your unit has been hacked in some manner?

TiVo does not ask you which station or network is broadcast on which channel; the channels are mapped to your local cable system, the one you selected in guided setup.

11. VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    Mec
    I mean it has a larger hard drive, and because of that fact tivo customer care has said adios to me. No weird software tweaks or anything like that.
    This is literally an issue I have discovered since I moved 10 miles east of my last house. And with the upgrade to digital cable.
    Thanks for looking into the situation.
    I have read in a different post that Tivo gets the lineup info from zap2it, I checked there and the lineup is how it should be.

Someone please tell me what the first screen of GS should be on software ver 7.2.1.
    that way I will know I am starting from the beginning.

12. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    OK, I can't tell you everything, but I can tell you something...

I just had to rerun guided setup because of a larger disk. First time I've done that with 7.2.1. I was asked who my cable company was. However, after that, you used to be asked (I think) which of their lineups I was using.

Instead, the TiVo tuned to three different stations and asked me what I received on these stations. I think they are trying to make it easier for users to figure out their lineup without ever actually telling them that's what they are doing.

Of course, that does tend to confuse oldtime users who don't know the questions have changed. :rolleyes:

13. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Damn straight! :)

Guess that's what I get for still having a series 1... :eek:

14. VancTivo

VancTivo TiVo Noob

Jun 25, 2005
    Vancouver,...
    UPDATE!!
    TiVo is now fixed! I re-ran guided setup and hooked the HD digital cable box to the TiVo and the problem is solved.
    I think on the last software update the TiVo thought I should be operating with a cable box, because I did not have it hooked up there was an error.
    Any way problem is now solved.