Tivo not doing too good

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mrice0107, Oct 27, 2005.

1. mrice0107

mrice0107 New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Bradford
    hi can any one help please, i have a uk seres 1 uk 10 and recently up graded my tivo.
    With a 200 gig hd with the updated software to 2.5.5.a so it will read the recording lenth, can anyone let me know why when i put the old hd's yes there are 2 of then back in my Tivo 15 gig and 40 gig it just says starting up how long do i let this do it as my upgrade seems not to be working to well, every time it makes its daily call the program data does not change the date to lets say it says 8 oct, when it does its daily call the Unable guide changes date but the 8oct den not, so when the date draws closer my Tivo tells me there is only 6 days left of data and to make daily call now, when i do it does not change so i have to go through to whole set up process every time, i got the up date and drive whit the kernel on from a guy from ebay and what a supprise not i carn't get in toutch with him seams he has left the planet. Thanks i'm not very good with letter writing so i'm sorry about this please don't respond to this if you don't have anything to help me with my problem i'm sure you can work out what i'm trying to say here thanks

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Could you try asking again, this time in English, using complete sentences and punctuation, so that people might actually be able to read your question?

3. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    And then post it in the UK section where you might get more answers to whatever it is you are asking. :)

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Hey guys, that's a bit harsh!

I understand the question perfectly, so here's a translation for the grammar and punctuation pedants out there:- ;) :D:D

The unfortunate OP has purchased a 200gb upgrade drive for his Series 1 UK (although this is not only applicable to UK machines) TiVo. When he bought the drive he mistakenly asked for it to be supplied with software version 2.5.5a rather than the more usual version 2.5.5 in the misguided belief that this would enable his TiVo to 'see' the full capacity of the drive - for which, of course, all he needs is the LBA48 kernel, not software version 2.5.5a which was issued to a few UK machines to circumvent problems with the way some TVs can't handle the TiVo's teletext output.

As a result of this mistake, when his TiVo made a daily call, the fact that the software version on the drive was different to that assigned to it in TiVo's database triggered the automatic software update process to "upgrade" his TiVo to version 2.5.5. However, because version 2.5.5a has a higher software ID than version 2.5.5, once the "upgrade" had downloaded and been installed on the spare system partition, the process that should run to apply it after the end of a daily call (but before the new guide data is applied to the database) failed with an error and aborted the daily call process too. This has been happening every night since the "upgrade" was downloaded, and the only way he has been able to get any guide data has been to repeatedly re-run Guided Setup, which downloads guide data and applies it without checking for the presence of a pending software update.

The OP also made the mistake of purchasing his drive from a cheap 'n' cheerful eBay seller who probably doesn't understand the problem or know how to fix it, and who is consequently keeping his head down in the hope that somebody else will help his unfortunate customer out.

5. Apr 1, 2006 #5 of 10
    mrice0107

mrice0107 New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Bradford
    thanks for that Blindlemon my Tivo is now sorted and a happy Tivo it was the letter a after 2.5.5 that was causing the problam i thought as much but was not completly sure thanks again
    :up: :D

6. Apr 1, 2006 #6 of 10
    ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks blindlemon! I aways cringe when folks are unhelpful, or sometimes down right rude, to posters in need. A big :up: to you!

7. mrice0107

mrice0107 New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Bradford
    arse

8. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    It took you almost 11 months for that snappy comeback? :)

Seriously, it really does help to be able to easily read a person's questions.

9. mrice0107

mrice0107 New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Bradford
    i know it does but the problam i have is carnt spell too good never have, but i try and usualy people get what im trying to say, better late than never i say .
    Im dam good with computers and mind things like setting up audio divices ect just a crant spell thats my down fall
    like your coment by the way thanks

10. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    :up: :)