(TIVO Noobie)SIR S4120R Harddrive Failed, What now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Geeks4Rent, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Geeks4Rent

Geeks4Rent New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    My Samsung SIR S4120R started to do the pause, skip, reboot, thing I've read about; so I tryed the clear and Delete. After 30+ hours called Direct TV and was told to unplug it and leave it off 45 minutes. boots up to "clearing and deleting..." again. Tryed removing the CMOS battery, and Unplugging it overnight, same thing.
    It's a Harddrive and Motherboard, therefore it's fixable, But I'm a windows geek, don't know linux. I've read through lots of the forum and not finding the basic parameters that TIVO is using. so I'm hopping some of the TIVO Geeks and Gurus can give me some basic answers;

What's the Drive Partition set in?
    What's the Drive Format that the DVR uses?
    Is there anyplace to get an Original Image (unhacked, unaltered)?
    What is the OS that TIVO uses?
    Are there any Windows based Utilities to access the Data(I've currently stuck with only a windows XP laptop and USB drive adapter)?

Now that I've delved into Opening the darn thing , I'll look into modifying it, but my immediate concern is getting it running again. and It appears that I need a basic Image for the Machine to put a new Drive in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Geeks4Rent

Geeks4Rent New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I see that it's Ok to request PM links to Image files:
    :) if anyone knows a place to get an factory default Image file for a Samsung SIR S4120R Please PM me.

Ok after some more searching and reading, It appears that it's "wrong" to allow a standard restore disk Image to be linked. but it's Ok to sell hacked images?!? In essence making a standard repair back to factory default, resulting from replacement of failed equipment Impossible. But it's Ok to buy a copy that's clearly changing the Basic functionality.

Is anyone else confused? Being a Noob in the TIVO area I geuss I need some more experience.

Umm how is a return to Original Equipment, in a proprietary piece of hardware copy write infringement? If there's a legal basis here wouldn't "trade secrets" be a more correct term?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    All you want to know is in the upgrade forum.

The drive is partitioned in an Apple partition system (not compatible directly with PCs, a special Linux kernel is needed to mount them). System partitions are direct binary images, or ext2 file partitions. Settings and recordings are stored in proprietary MFS database partitions.

What is illegal (as in a copyright violation), is to publically provide tivo images, and some hacks, if you are not the author or a licensee.

Only one party is licensed to provide images and the core hacked kernels, and that is DVRUpgrade, with their InstantCake (TiVo image), and Enhancement CD (Hacked kernels), both with a Linux bootable OS and tools, which you can get alone for free (without the image and/or hacks).

You can also get pre-imaged drives from a number of vendors, such as DVRUpgrade and Weaknees.

4. Geeks4Rent

Geeks4Rent New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    thanks I broke down and bought the ptvnet and Instantcake, all better now. I guess I'm off to get a wireless adapter for it. I just hate buying something to execute a simple fix, but since I've crossed the line I'm sure I'll end up obsessed with this thing as well as PCs...
    DirecTV is actually sending me a new recorder as well, so I'll have a backup unit to mess with. thanks again for the Information.