Tivo newb with a problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gar187er, Jan 19, 2006.

1. gar187er

gar187er New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    West...

Advertisements

I got a series 2 for x-mas, and have it hooked with s-video and rca audio to my home theatre setup...receiever, powered sub, dvd, cable box, 31" widescreen TV...

My problem is daily freezing during recording...I need to unplug and hard reset the system..it happens at varying times, but I read about the TivO not being able to supply enough power to the HDD when recording if it is shared on a surge protector...

I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers, but as far as the TivO drive, its just a matter of popping the case open unplugging the drive and running diagnostics on it in my PC?

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    That works, but best to download drive fitness utility from hard drive manufacturer's web-site and run it from DOS floppy. If a Tivo disk is booted by XP you can make it unbootable in a TiVo. There is a utility somewhere to fix this but if you have a floppy drive why risk it?

Did you change any of the hookups after running the initial guided setup? If so, you might consider running a clear and delete everything which puts it back to out of box condition.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I'm not sure what you read about "not being able to supply enough power", but that isn't true. A surge protector would have no effect. (I do recommend putting TiVo on an uninterruptible power supply to protect against power dropouts.)

The daily freezing sounds like disk corruption. It is unlikely that any diagnostic you can run on a PC will tell you anything, but you can certainly try. Just be sure to use a diagnostic that boots from its own CD or floppy and that you do not boot Windows with the TiVo drive attached.

What I would recommend instead is to have the TiVo try to repair database corruption.

1. Unplug the TiVo for 30 seconds
    2. Plug it in and watch the LEDs on the front panel.
    3. When the left LED changes from green to yellow, press pause on the remote. If you did it right, the right LED should also turn yellow.
    4. Press 57 on the remote

If it works, it will put up a message saying that it is updating or repairing - this step may take a few hours, after which the TiVo will restart on its own. There is nothing that tells you what it found.

If this doesn't work, as the TiVo is still in warranty, you should return it for an exchange.

4. gar187er

gar187er New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    West...
    thanks for the replies....

as for the power theory, i read a thread or two on here, and it does make sense, as with PC's if the PSU cant put out adequate voltage then the computer will malfunction, HDD's, memory, vid card, etc....so it is very possible.... I just find it odd that after 3 weeks, and only half the drive currently used, that I would need to defrag/chkdsk it....

now for the UPS idea, well it is a good one, its not possible, both finacially, and space wise....im not concerned about losing a hard drive as I have about 4 extras laying around here that I can replace it with....

and thank you for posting the DB repair method, ill be trying that tomorrow...ill post up then and see how it goes...

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

There's no way that plugging a TiVo into a surge protector will reduce the output of the power supply. There have been some concerns about loading the PS by putting two disk drives in the box, but that's not your issue.

6. gar187er

gar187er New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    West...
    well after taking your advice stevel, the DB repair did not work...so im off to call support up and see about getting rid of this fubar tivo....

<update> they have the worst hold music!!!