TiVo networking - does it actually work reliably for anyone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by austinpike, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1 of 13
    austinpike

austinpike Member

Oct 25, 2008

Advertisements

Getting to my wits end here.

I have 4 lifetime'd tivos - S3, HD and two Premieres. I had them all networked with a variety of Tivo G and N adapters. I could rarely transfer shows between any of them - sometimes the other units would show up, sometimes they wouldn't. Once in a great while they would complain about running out of data, but forcing a connection or a reboot would fix the problem.

Decided I would like to transfer shows more reliably. Got a bunch of cheap MoCA hardware off eBay - Actiontec MI424R routers. Optimized some splitters and connections where I could. Connection strength/speed is awesome, transfers work great - for a few hours, or maybe a day. Then the Actiontecs start dropping off the network, rebooting generally brings them back, but obviously that's a pain.

I decided to try wireless again. Swapped my Netgear WNR1000 to a Netgear WNDR3400. Hardwired the HD to the router, the other three got Wireless N adapters isolated on the 5ghz band. Tivos and adapters have dedicated IP's assigned through the router. Again, everything works freaking awesome when I first set it up. Then a few hours later, things start dropping off. Rebooting the Tivo brings the connection back up.

Never have any problems with the other half dozen iThings, laptops etc being used.

I have Googled all over, plenty of complaints, seemingly never with any resolution - conclusion either being TiVos (especially Premieres) just have networking problems or some routers just work better than others. I got the first Netgear originally because it was supposed to work well with Tivo (and it did do much better than the one it replaced.) But spending weeks and $ trying random routers just isn't appealing, unless someone could say definitively "model X works great."

Many of the threads I see are about getting stuff set up in the first place - with both my setups, everything works great - when it works - then it all just goes to hell. It's almost like the hardware goes to sleep and forgets its settings.

If the wireless just isn't going to work, I would go back to MoCa, but my next step there I think would be to spend $50 each on the units TiVo sells and see if that makes a difference. I know there are a couple splitters in my walls I can't get to, so if those are causing the problem, obviously new hardware won't help. But when they are working, all the MoCa adapters report at ~235-240 Mbps, so it seems like the signal strength is good.

So kind of a rant, kind of a plea - is there anyone who can say "I have multiple TiVos connected via N wireless and they all work perfectly all the time?"

2. Apr 6, 2013 #2 of 13
    Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    Today there is so much wireless that interference is inevitable. If you want stability and speed, wired is the way to go. Ethernet if possible, but MoCA should work fine. Actiontec MI424R are not MoCA adapters. If you can't run ethernet cables, get some MoCA adapters, Action ECB2500C, available from TiVo (https://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=251#.UWCJo6U3cxA) for $50. If your Premieres are 4 tuner units, they have MoCA built in, and don't need the adapters.

P.S. Being a HT and TiVo installer, if a customer insists on wireless, I make them sign a waiver, otherwise I will not do the job.

3. Apr 6, 2013 #3 of 13
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I've ran Ethernet since nearly the beginning, no problems. I tried wireless but it couldn't keep up with HD streams. For the price of 2 50' cables from Amazon that I run from a switch connected to my router I have no complaints about Tivo networking.

4. Apr 7, 2013 #4 of 13
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "TiVo networking - does it actually work reliably for anyone?"

Mostly reliably most of the time.

That's with some Windows XP computers in the mix, 2 of the TiVos (but not always the same 2) on TiVo Wireless G adapters, the rest wired (which includes 1 or 2 Netgear FA120 USB to Ethernet adapters for units without RJ-45 jacks), a WRT54G running DD-WRT so it can do wireless bridge, another 54G further up the food chain, and 2 BEFSR41s and a 3rd 54g with wireless turned off, and of course fixed IP addresses all around.

But I suspect the real reason for my success is that there isn't a Series 4 anywhere on the property.

If I were the suspicious sort, I'd suspect a memory leak in the S4 software.

But that would be a wild guess out on the fringes of the limits of my tech knowledge.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #5 of 13
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002

Advertisements

Four networked Tivos (2 HDs and 2 Premieres) works just fine for me, but I use wired ethernet connections. Long ago, I tried wireless & powerline and realized it was more trouble than it was worth. I spent the time pulling cabling and it's been great ever since.

6. Apr 7, 2013 #6 of 13
    muerte33

muerte33 Member

Jul 4, 2008
    I use all Motorola NIM100 units (4 of them).
    Works great.
    They are getting harder to find on Ebay though.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #7 of 13
    genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I use linksys WET610n wireless bridges and netgear 3700 router with two tivohds. I dont think it has ever had any issue at all. Some wireless things will got to sleep or/and drop a connection. So I have a cheap 5 port switch inbetween the tivo and wireless bridge.

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8 of 13
    austinpike

austinpike Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Right, but they can be configured to essentially function as MOCA adapters... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1145636/actiontec-mi424wr-a-cheap-moca-bridge-for-all

Anyway, I know wired is the way to go but it would be too big of a pain. I saw a post about using the N adapter as a bridge, so I gave that a shot - the two premieres are connected with N adapters, the third N adapter is plugged into the router in bridge mode. So the router sees the Premieres as wired connections, and that has been completely solid.

One annoying thing is that the N bridge broadcasts its network name with the MAC address right in it "tivowirelessXX:XX:XX..." or something. And there is no way to configure the Tivo bridge to change the name or not broadcast. Maybe it isn't that big a deal but I don't love the MAC being visible to anyone who drives by.

9. Apr 9, 2013 #9 of 13
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I never have any trouble with networking, TiVo or otherwise, unless one counts a couple of failed routers and a failed switch over the last 13 years, or a couple of failures of the mind servers, plus the expired cookie bug. Nothing intermittent, though.

I've got an S4, two S3s and a THD, plus 14 other hosts. Everything is wired, however. No wireless, no MoCA. Total network throughput is often in excess of 2500 Mbps.

Anyone who runs wireless networks should expect recurring intermittent issues, especially with video. Anyone who runs MoCA should not be surprised if there are issues, especially if the MoCA network has not been hardened.

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I have 5 mi424wr with 1 as a router, 1 for a networked printer, and 3 at tivos. All three tivos have been assigned fixed ip adresses outside of the routers dhcp range. Occasionally I need to reboot the router, but the connections at the tivos have been rock solid. The only issue I have had was that i needed to make sure that the mi424wr had sufficient air flow to avoid overheating. Each of the actiontecs in bridge mode has at least 3 devices connecting through the ports on back.

I'd be glad to offer any information on my own configuration to help get your MOCA network running smoothly.

11. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm currently running 1 premiere and 2 premiere XL using MOCA by way of repurposed actiontec mi424wr routers and the networking is rock solid with nothing but 2 tuner series 4.

12. steve101

steve101 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Two wired Series2 (USB network dongle), 1 Series3 OLED Moca(NIM100), 1 Premier (2 tuner) Moca(NIM100) with an actiontec MI424WR router on FIOS. No network problems at all and respectably fast. I had wifi set up for two of these before and was very unhappy with it (TIVO G wireless adapters).

13. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Can you expand on what you mean by "hardened"? Beyond just installing a POE filter, are there steps you would recommend?