Tivo Network problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Tburk, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I can't seem to get my 2 HD Premiers on the same network to share content with each other & my computer (TiVo2Go). I'm computer/internet savvy enough to be dangerous. I set up my home network/wifi network etc, but not well enough. I have uverse modem that wireless transmits through house. I put one TiVo on the wireless network. The other I run CAT5 through attic/walls/outside/back-in to an Intellinet router so I can hard wire my TV, TiVo, & BluRay. Since we stream Netflix, etc, I figured a line would be much better than wireless. It is.

Anyway, I can't seem to configure my 2nd router correctly such that any device connected to it can be seen by anything on my wireless home network. I'm guessing the 2nd router is on a different IP address/network and therefore not talking. I'm looking for a reasonable cookbook for me to go into the router and reconfigure settings. I spend a miserable 2 hours last night unsuccessfully working on it.:mad::mad:

MT

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Why do you have two routers? In a basic setup with both routers set up as routers (not one as a bridge), each router is going to control one network. While a large scale enterprise setup may have more than one router on a subnet, a home setup normally does not. At a guess, the fact you have two routers is in and of itself the problem, but without more information about the topology uf your LAN, I can't really say. You need to provid a great deal more in the way of details concerning what you have and what you are trying to accomplish.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How do you physically have the Intellinet router connected to the uverse modem (which I suppose is a combination modem and router?)?

4. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have a CAT5 Cable from the Uverse Modem/router strung through the attic and plugged into the 1st LAN port of the intellinet device. The Tivo/TV/BluRay are connected to LAN ports 2-4. Nothing is plugged into the WAN.

On the first question, my jargon is bad. I don't want it to be a router. I want to use it as a bridge (I think? again I know enough to be dangerous).

I used the a webpage (www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Router_Router.html) to set up my system, but it didn't work & I ultimately took the 2nd router/bridge back to factory settings. with factory settings it works for the TiVo connecting to web but cannot connect to rest of network.:confused:

-TB

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    What brand/model is the second router? Does it even have the capability to be set for bridge mode (most don't)? One model I have that works well is the Zyxel WAP3205. It's hooked to one of my Tivos and I have had no network issues with it. My current preference is to use older Linksys WRT54Gs upgraded with DD-WRT firmware. Got another Tivo hooked to one of those.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, the uverse modem has a wireless router built in? Does it have more than 1 RJ45 jack?

7. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
  8. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Oh yeah, uverse has wireless modem and 4 LAN ports.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, I've got the Intellinet owner's manual downloaded, now I need a way to get the uverse modem's manual--link, model number, whatever.

10. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    will get it tonight