Tivo network adapter burning or what?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by prikindel, Aug 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. prikindel

prikindel New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I have a rack with four TiVo Series2 boxes. They are really old, two of them are like 11 years old, the other two are about 8 years old. I've just seen that looks like a sign of burn, or a short circuit, or I don't know what. It seems that the network adapters are melting, three of them. Maybe it's a high temperature? Am I at risk? Please help!:confused:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Bwana

Bwana Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I've had the same happen to my USB adapters. It's simply the foot pad material melting on the outside of the adapter. It shouldn't affect it's performance.

If these are sitting on top of your Tivo units, you should be certain you have proper ventilation in your rack and monitor their internal temp. Probably a good idea to move the adapters either way.

Cleaning that stuff is really no fun. Pretty sure I wound up using some pretty powerful solvent to remove it. Good luck and keep it away from your clothes :)

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Had it happen to me, though not quite that bad.

It's the anti-slip rubber stuff on the bottom of the adapter melting.

Clean it up best you can with de-natured alcohol or lacquer thinner or enamel thinner (or maybe even baby oil or WD-40).

Don't try to remove the part that's still intact and attached to the adapter where it's supposed to be attached.

You'll need to cover it with something to keep it from coming off on stuff.

You could glue some sandpaper to it, with the grit side away from the adapter so that you've still got a surface with some "anti-slip".

Or you could put a thin layer on top of it of some Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) silicone sealant (the stuff that smells like vinegar while it "cures"). Let it sit for 24 hours before touching it.

Here's one example of that

http://ean.host/upc/079340308084

And you can get some stick-on rubber feet to put on the bottom of the adapter so that when you put it back down on top of that hot TiVo or A/V receiver or whatever it has some airspace underneath it.

The reason those adapters are better than most others is they have a little processor chip of their own inside which offloads some of the work the TiVo's CPU would have to do otherwise.

Which is why they get a lot warmer than the generic USB Wi-Fi adapters.

So that rubbery stuff had heat above as well as heat below, and no airflow.

4. sfora2260

sfora2260 New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    I just had the same thing happen to me. The customer service supervisor claimed this has never happened before and that I must've caused the rubber on the bottom of the adapter to melt.

Attached Files:

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You caused it to melt by plugging it in and using it as intended.

Those things get hot in use.

6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    0219181328.jpg I placed two round sticky felt pads, for table feet, under each of mine. It's just age and heat. Nothing really to worry about. All of my wireless adapters on the S2s had this condition.