Tivo+Netflix = Hard reset

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Lykaon, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1 of 74
    Lykaon

Lykaon New Member

Dec 8, 2008

Advertisements

So I just started playing with the new Netflix streaming today and it has been a nightmare. I'm able to get the code and view my queue quite easily, but no matter what movie I choose, the following happens:

* It says I have high quality and begins the bar at the bottom
    * I get some audio that sounds like its from the middle of the movie (clearly not the beginning)
    * The unit hard resets and goes through its extremely painful reboot process after less than 2 minutes of videoless playback (somtimes with odd 'beeping' throughout the audio).

I've done this 6 times now, all with the same result. Reading the other threads on the Netflix feature here, it sounds like most people are getting flawless results.

I don't have problems with anything else. I can stream YouTube, watch Amazon Unbox movies, and pretty much everything else I've tried with absolutely no issues.

I have Verizon FIOS, with 2 cable cards. I've had it running for almost a year now flawlessly. It is a TiVo Series 3.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 8, 2008 #2 of 74
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Is your Tivo running software version 11.0.x? If not then that may explain the problem. It sounds to me like your Tivo doesn't know how to decode the Netflix stream properly which is something that was added in 11.0 software.

3. Dec 8, 2008 #3 of 74
    Lykaon

Lykaon New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Yes it is. I don't think it would give me the Netflix option if it wasn't anyway.

But it is. I got the update, and the message about it and everything.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #4 of 74
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Strange one. If you have a PC it may be worth while trying Netflix streaming on it just to confirm that you can play streams that way. At least that would confirm that internet service is not the source of the problem if it works.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #5 of 74
    Lykaon

Lykaon New Member

Dec 8, 2008

Advertisements

That's a good idea. I have done that before as recently as yesterday. It works fine on my PC. And either way, it seems like pretty poor programming on TiVo's part to let whatever error is occurring to cause a hard reset. That basically should almost never happen, especially reliably.

I can reproduce the error every single time. Netflix streaming is 100% unusable for me.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #6 of 74
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just to rule out possibility that certain videos are causing this issue (highly unlikely given that you have chosen several already), try one that I know works for me:
    Heroes Season 3, any of the episodes 1-7.

As a counter test, list one of the movies with which you have an issue and I can give it a shot on my S3.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #7 of 74
    dotorg

dotorg New Member

Jul 3, 2000
    I'm having similar issues -- I was able to get it to start playing, but while watching an episode of SD TV, I had it literally crash three times.

The quality is pretty awful -- I have a 360, and the same show playing on the 360 is dramatically better. (I get half bars on the Tivo, versus full bars on the 360, both plugged into the same switch)

Unfortunately on the last crash, it seems to have hung something up on my account so I can't finish the show on the 360.

It might be usable in a pinch in my bedroom, but in my living room I think I'll be sticking to the 360's Netflix support. Now if only Netflix would realize the Tivo *isn't* playing right now ...

8. Dec 8, 2008 #8 of 74
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    No ideas, just to comment that mine rebooted on me too.

I was going through testing which things were in HD and chose Heroes Season 3 - Episode 1. This worked fine. I clicked Left arrow out of the episode and went down to Episode 4.

This time, the time bar on the bottom appeared in a "paused" state, but the rest of the screen was black. The "testing" window never came up, and then the ORANGE light on the Series 3 unit's lower-right display (below the blue light that indicates network download activity) came on, and then in about another minute, the Series 3 crashed and rebooted.

Not good. Hope this does not keep up.

Dennis

9. Dec 8, 2008 #9 of 74
    jfischetti

jfischetti New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Manhattan, NY
    I'm having a similar issue.

I chose a movie to play, and I got it to start, but within 5 seconds of play,
    it crashed and went back to the TiVo Central Menu.

Now, whenever i choose "Video on Demand" menu, it says 'Please Wait', then reverts back to TiVo Central.

I rebooted the unit, and it doesn't help reset the ability to view the 'Video on Demand' menu.

Oh well.

10. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My unit has locked up 2x now while playing with it requiring a hard reboot (once with a black screen and once on 'Please Wait'). Didn't reboot itself, but nothing going so I had to.

Buggy.

Edit: make that 3x. I'm done with it for now.

Double Edit: make that 4x. Fool me once....

11. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Same problem here - mine just doesn't reboot. I hit the TivoGuy on the remote and I go back to the main DVR screen. I think it's just a problem with our download. I'm calling Tivo tonight.

Bonanza

12. lacsap

lacsap New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Also, if you have a 4:3 display and you have HD content the playback squishes the picture rather than letterbox it... ick.

13. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Not always. Happened to me first time with 30 rock, but next time it was fine.

Thing is definitely quirky.

14. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Can anyone get in now? I got a service unavailable screen and now I'm sitting at my 2nd 'Please Wait' with no response on the Video On Demand screen...

15. Lykaon

Lykaon New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Service unavailable screen for me too. I can only hope that means they're fixing something.

I'll try watching Heroes Season 3 when I get a chance to make sure I'm not just picking bad videos. That probably won't be tonight, though, because I don't want my TiVo restarting when it's supposed to be recording Chuck & Heroes.

With others having similar problems, perhaps a fix is imminent.

Also, do all of you who have it working have a Series 3 (versus HD or HD XL)? I was wondering if that might be related.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Last night it was working fine on 2 S3s and an HDXL for me (I activated all 3 with Netflix and tested out a few streams with each).

17. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Works for me.

BUT

My problem is audio related. If I watch with the audio going to tv via hdmi it sounds very bad. Kinda like its dragging. Like playing a record at the wrong speed. But if I use my stereo via optical it sounds fine.

18. bfdhe

bfdhe TiVo Junkie

Dec 31, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Was watching the first episode of the first Season of Star Trek. TiVo froze about 2 minutes into it. Had to Hard Reboot.....

19. jfischetti

jfischetti New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Manhattan, NY
    Following up on an earlier post....

I finally got in and played a few movies/TVshows

Overall, things looked good

1. The Office S4 HD looked great
    2. 30 Rock S2 (says it was HD, but) didn't look HD
    3. Pan's Labyrinth looked amazing in HD
    4. Settled on Ratatouille and watched 15 mins before it stopped and got a Service Unavailable screen.

Hope they are load balancing the system.....

20. shelleye

shelleye New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Same problems here: start playing a movie and after about 4 minutes I get bumped back to "Please Wait" screen, then to Tivo central. Choose Netflix again, choose same movie, choose "resume" and get another 4 minutes, then bumped. I'm using Tivo HD with Tivo wireless G adapter with Good reception. Netflix streams beautifully to Roku box in another room, also using wireless G. Oh well. It will be great when it works.