TiVo needs my refund for the float? Sad, so sad.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bodosom, Oct 29, 2019.

1. bodosom

bodosom Just another tivotee

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...

Advertisements

I ordered a TiVo on 4-Oct. On 5-Oct the order was mysteriously cancelled (TiVo said there was a "problem" in the order system. The order mysteriously uncancelled but I was assured that was a error on my account page. I waited a couple of days and made a new order. Naturally both devices were charged and shipped on 10-Oct, TX to NY. TiVo said they would "intercept" the original which they did. The order was turned back to TiVo in Ohio and delivered to them on 16-Oct. Apparently even though the order was intercepted they can't start the refund until they get the device back. I called on the 18th and they admitted that the "warehouse" had received the unit on the 16th and that I should get a refund in 7-10 days.

Yesterday (28-Oct) I got an e-mail from TiVo that said the warehouse received the unit on 28-Oct and I would get a refund in 7-10 days. :mad:

The only way this could be worse is if the unit had been lost in transit. Then I would have to wait until TiVo sorted things out with the carrier before they would start the refund clock.

Does TiVo have an ombudsman for making things right with customers?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    All of which illustrates that TiVo is no Amazon. This kind of story isn't new or unique on this forum. Their procedures are designed to provide maximum protection for TiVo and none for customers. Maybe they were inspired by cable companies? Might be different if there were any competition for TiVo devices.

3. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but TiVo, even in its heyday operated this way. I remember there was an issue with my TiVO HD or Series 3 back in 2005. I had to send the old unit in as it was under warranty and they shipped a new one the same day. They explained that they will charge me for the new unit, but will credit the money back once they got my unit delivered. While I wasn't exactly thrilled by this, I accepted it. While everything worked out as smoothly as can be expected, they did have some additional money from me for a few days as a result of this exchange.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I wouldn't buy anything directly from Tivo unless there is a deep discount that can't be had by any other means.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Unfortunately there are even worse war stories about TiVo boxes sold through Amazon.
    This is a perfectly reasonable policy and is how Amazon handles its returns. But Amazon is efficient, diligent and quick in how it implements it.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I would, and do.

jrtroo likes this.
  7. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Do you mean the ones where Tivo listed all-in Roamio OTAs on Amazon, but initially would not activate them or do you mean all-in Tivos that were purchased with a stolen credit card from Tivo and then sold on Amazon?

8. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    My last 3 Tivos were purchased directly from Tivo.

jrtroo and tenthplanet like this.
  9. Craigm

Craigm Member

Nov 20, 2015
    I only buy on Amazon Prime for all the above reasons and the ease and safety of returns. Once a package is dropped off at a UPS drop-off with a receipt I am issued a refund within 2 to 3 hours.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Maybe the difference is Prime,* but I never have received an Amazon return credit until the item physically has been received back at its returns warehouse (and then I usually get the return credit either that day or within a day or 2). Using UPS and the Amazon-generated returns mailing label.

* Non-Prime here.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I have prime and returns are about the same, certainly prompt enough to suit me. But they keep improving their system so maybe the instant credit is in the works.

12. bodosom

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...
    Yes, Amazon "instant" refunds are common for Prime members. Particularly if you'll take Amazon dollars instead of a credit back to your card.

However the point of my story isn't that TiVo could conceivably be doing something reasonable in handling returns or warranty exchanges. It's that not only are they being somewhat unreasonable (the box was never in my possession or even in my state) but that the unit was returned on Wednesday 10/16/2019 at 11:08 am and Signed for by: JHELLUMS. Even after a rep allowed as the warehouse received the device on the 16th TiVo *lied* to me and said the item was returned on the 28th and they were going to wait 7-10 days to return my money.

I've been using TiVo boxes since 2002 and I've never had an experience like this (I'm leaving out the time wasted on the phone over this issue).

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry, I hadn't meant to sidetrack matters. As stated above, unfortunately, this seems to be standard TiVo accounting procedure (at least, I continually read about it here).

dlfl likes this.
  14. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    With a deep discount you couldn't get otherwise?

15. bodosom

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...
    In a remarkable coincidence I got my TiVo refund today.

NorthAlabama, Rey and Mikeguy like this.
  16. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Yes. Two lifetime transfers and one cyber Monday purchase.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Then why even bother saying it when you've already stated that you'd only buy from tivo when they offers a big discounted. It's pointless.

18. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    To show I actually buy directly from Tivo.

19. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    In defense of cable companies and Comcast in particular, they take a box back almost no questions asked and give you a new one on the spot. No charge to you for the swap.