TiVo N Adpater switching from 5ghz to 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CynPiz, Dec 23, 2012.

1. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

Hello - I am using a TiVo Premiere Elite with a TiVo N adapter. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme basestation and an Apple Airport Express extender for my network. I did program my brand new adapter to use the 5Ghz signal on the express. It worked great with 3 full-strength blue bars for about 5 days and then one day I noticed it changed back to green for the 2.4 Ghz setting. How can I keep it from changing? The streaming works like crap on 2.4Ghz.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You could turn off 2.4ghz on your AirPort, unless you need it for something else.

3. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I believe I need the 2.4ghz for my kindle and for my old netbook.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Is your extender capable of 5ghz? Maybe the TiVo adapter was connecting to the main AirPort and now it is connected to the extender?

5. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

No - They both are capable and I specifically linked it to the extender when I configured it. All four SSIDs were available to choose from.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'm not sure what the problem is then. I did have all kinds of trouble with the 5ghz part of my AirPort Extreme/AirPort Express network until I finally gave up and hung a Belkin 802.11n router off the MoCA portion of my network in the living room, just to keep things working smoothly. The Macs had no trouble on connecting to 5ghz, but the network speed was about 20 times slower than what I am getting from the cheap $25 Belkin. I left the AirPort hardware connected for things that can only do 2.4ghz, like my iPhone 4 and a couple older laptops.