TiVo+: My Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mbernste, Dec 11, 2019.

1. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    With the introduction of the TiVo Mini Vox into my house, I now have TiVo+ (I still don't have it on my Roamio Pro). I actually like TiVo+. My favorite content item in the list is the preview item that shows various movie trailers. Also with the Mini Vox, the content comes right up with essentially no noticeable buffering and the item helps me decide what movie I may want to someday record when it comes to one of the cable channels (or possible see in a theater). As a new service, I understand the content options are small and available elsewhere, but I am sure in time those options will increase.

Now, with regards to another hot topic, pre-roll ads. I haven't gotten those yet, so the jury is still out on that.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's a possibility you may like those, too?

-KP

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    There is zero possibility I will like those. If they are not too intrusive, I may decide to just live with them rather than call TiVo support, that is yet to be determined. to be honest, considering that I haven't gotten TiVo+ on my Roamio Pro, I may not get the pre-roll ads. I've heard some conflicting information about them and the Roamios. Regardless, I won't worry about it until it happens, though since I have TiVo+ on the Mini, I may start to see them there as well.

4. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I'm not sure how unpopular it is in reality. Even here a poll stated roughly 30% would use Plus+ if the content improved. If you apply that to their typical market (certainly not represented here) it's not hard to see half or more taking advantage of the feature at some point in time.

5. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    Yea that is unpopular.

6. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    You can watch movie trailers on YouTube. We don't need TiVo+ for that.

7. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Theres nothing wrong with the concept of tivo plus, the problem is that right now the hardware is too slow to handle it (seems like bloatware) and it needs to get off the guide (make it an option) and the content so far, imho is garbage like most free/ad supported streaming services.

kpeters59 and osu1991 like this.
  8. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Oooo, a TiVo+ thread. I've been waiting for one of those.

jrtroo and tenthplanet like this.
  9. Yudoka

Yudoka Member

Feb 12, 2015
    If the TiVo+ channels in the guide actually acted as the guide in showing what's currently on that channel, it's would be monumentally more valuable. Me having to click on it and wait 15+ seconds to load just to see what's on makes this next to useless for me. It's like going back in time 30+ years where you actually had to go to the channel to see what's on. I can't imagine making this change would even be difficult. My brother's Samsung smart TV has something very similar but it actually has a functioning guide for all the free channels.

ufo4sale, Mikeguy, osu1991 and 2 others like this.
  10. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    They also make a big deal of having Asylum movies in Tivo+. That alone should require a new name, Tivo MINUS. There are no movies more awful than theirs.

11. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I remember buying the TV Guide book at the supermarket and looking forward to thumbing through the pages to see what was going to be on that week. Sometimes we would cheap out and just get the Sunday Newspaper that had the weekly TV section. Now we complain about a stupid extra entry in an instant gratification on-screen TV guide. How times change.

mbernste, tenthplanet and kpeters59 like this.
  12. jcliff

jcliff Member TCF Club

May 23, 2017
    If you like TiVo+, there's nothing wrong with that.

But the way they've implemented it is pretty terrible. Especially because they make opting out so difficult.

Even if you successfully opt-out, you've permanently lost a menu item.

Compare it to Roku. Roku makes the bulk of their money off data and ads, but it's much less annoying and intrusive. You can opt-out from the device itself, no need to call Roku, login to roku.com, etc. So you can hide their built-in rental/purchase store from the menu, and their free movies channel. And limit ad tracking.

When that rolled out, it was also tested a lot more thoroughly. TiVo+ stuff was constantly crashing two of my TiVo bolts.

I actually like Pluto TV, which you'd think would be the type of service they'd aim for instead. If their service integrated streaming content with your live TV guide (which as someone else mentioned would be way more useful than a widescreen length banner ad) that'd be fantastic.

If the only way you can grow your product is to force it on folks, you've probably got a crap product. If TiVo+ had better content, if the pre-roll ads were used as an alternative to a lifetime sub/if it got you a cheaper sub, or if you could easily opt-out, it would be an entirely different story.

But treating your customers as beta testers when they didn't signup to be beta testers isn't a great experience.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    JKR123 likes this.
  13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    :D

14. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    No Sharknado for you..

mbernste and ufo4sale like this.
  15. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, but you have to know what trailer it is you want to see and then search for it. This channel just shows them and introduces you to movies you may not know about.

hapster85 likes this.
  16. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, I know there are about as many TiVo+ threads as there are threads about the pre-roll ads, but this one is a bit different. It's pro TiVo+.

17. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wow. A whole quarter-ish of a minute. <sarcasm>That's sooooo slow</sarcasm>. There's something to be said about having a little bit of patience. I hear it is a virtue. ;)
    Try loading a program from a C1530. That's the very epitome of having patience. :D

18. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I noticed the extra entry in the guide for my Mini. I fail to see what the big deal is. You're losing just one program entry. It's not like we have to pay a penny for every time we click on page down.

19. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I don't like the idea of TiVo+, but this is a valid argument for a movie trailer channel.

mbernste likes this.
  20. Yudoka

Yudoka Member

Feb 12, 2015
    You can just search for "2019 movie trailers" and get endless compilation lists.