TiVo, mpg2 and mpg4

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvmaster2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    we have two TiVo HD's and a Premiere. All have cable cards from Cox Communications.
    Cox is beginning to implement MPG4 cable STB's.
    Will we need new cable cards? Will we need new Tivo's?
    Can Tivos do mpg 4

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was wondering the same, if the Premiere tuners were capable of decoding MPEG-4 video. After reading the following article:
    Cox To Add Up To 30 HD MPEG-4 Channels To 'Advanced TV Plus' Tier
    http://www.multichannel.com/article..._MPEG_4_Channels_To_Advanced_TV_Plus_Tier.php

But Cox has been talking about deploying MPEG-4 since 2007:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=374635

According to the specs of the Broadcom BCM7413 chipset used in the Premiere:
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/IPTV/IPTV-Solutions/BCM7413
    Advanced multi-format decoder supporting the following:
    - HD/SD H.264/AVC Main and High Profile to Level 4.1 (HD), Level 3.1 (SD)
    - HD/SD AVS Jizhun Profile Levels 2.0, 4.0, and 6.0 (720p and 1080i for HDTV)
    - VC-1 Advanced Profile @ Level 3, Simple and Main Profile
    - HD/SD MPEG-2 Main Profile at Main and High levels
    - SD MPEG-4 P2 SP/ASP
    - HD DivX® 3.11/4/5/6

These MPEG-4 HD channels would be the "Plus Package" channels and are also allocated to the frequency spectrum between 860MHz-1GHz. The "Plus Package" channels are currently only available with the Cox Trio Whole Home DVR Cisco equipment. I believe the "Plus Package" channels are currently MPEG-2.

So far Cox has not allowed the "Plus Package" channels on a CableCARD UDCP or even Cox's own Motorola capable receivers, with the exception of a few reports out of Orange County, CA. Member moyekj is one such report.

Currently the Plus Package channels are: HUB HD, DIY HD, Outdoor Channel HD, Cooking Channel HD, SWRV HD Addt'l HBOs HD, Addt'l SHOs HD, Addt'l Starz HD, and Addt'l Cinemax HD.

Plus Package Channels by market and launch date

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    All the Series 3+ TiVos can theoretically handle MPEG4. However, they may need a software update. And I'm somewhat skeptical that TiVo will do any more updates for the Series 3. :(

In Australia and New Zealand, they have TiVos with the same hardware as a TiVo HD, but different software (11.3), and those TiVos actually do handle MPEG4. AFAIK no U.S. cable provider is using it yet.

You shouldn't need new CableCards.

4. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    The OP asked a really interesting question. If the S3 can handle MPEG4, I'm curious why there has been a three-year process to get an MPEG4-compatible HDDirecTiVo to market. I assumed that it was more than just software issues. (But I'm not an engineer or a programmer, just a TiVo user.)

If this move to MPEG4 is the shape of things to come, though, TiVo is going to have to come up with a good solution.

Bob