Tivo moving off the set-top and into the TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unitron, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 #1 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  2. Apr 9, 2011 #2 of 12
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  3. Apr 9, 2011 #3 of 12
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I haven't heard that before and it is surprising. I also hadn't seen this prediction written as if it is fact.

Digital music sales have been pathetic and growing at a snail's pace but CD is declining rather rapidly so maybe that happens but I sure wouldn't bet on it. It wasn't close the last time I checked and I guessed 2015 or later. Streaming video isn't exactly setting a record growth rate either.

4. Apr 9, 2011 #4 of 12
    JPS10

JPS10 New Member

Nov 26, 2010

5. Apr 9, 2011 #5 of 12
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    And tried again with Insignia, Best Buy's house brand:
    http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel...ersion=live&prid=624105&releasejsp=custom_150

I'm fairly certain that the Insigna TiVo TV never came to market, nor do I expect them to.

6. Apr 9, 2011 #6 of 12
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmm, I guess you must have far superior vision than I have, because the HD streaming that I see from Netflix and Amazon on my Roku box looks really good, far better than any DVD, upscaled or not. I remember doing an A/B comparison of the Avatar DVD with the Blu-Ray, and the difference in picture quality was astounding.

I've also done A/B comparisons with things like Breaking Bad as recorded in HD from cable and then the same show as watched on Amazon VOD in HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital. It looked and sounded nearly identical.

As broadband speeds increase, streaming quality will increase with it.

My HDTV is 60 inches and I care about quality.

7. Apr 9, 2011 #7 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    According to a recent study by Strategy Analytics, a market analysis firm that helps companies identify trends and market data, next year will be the first year that digital music sales will overtake CD music sales in the United States. If you're asking yourself "people still buy CDs?" you'd be surprised to know that traditional CD sales in the US brought in $3.8 billion in revenue last year, and is expected to drop to around $2.7 billion in 2012.

Clearly there are still people buying CDs, and lots of them: the market isn't going anywhere. At the same time, digital music sales are on the rise and have been for years, but the firm predicts that next year digital music sales - with Apple's iTunes Music Store leading the way - will top $2.8 billion.

8. Apr 9, 2011 #8 of 12
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    CD quality audio isn't that great, but it's still a good deal better than the best that iTunes can offer.

If you buy music from musicians who can make an entire decent album, the CD makes a lot more sense than buying each track through iTunes. If you just want one song from a pop music one hit wonder, you might do OK getting the song through iTunes.

9. Apr 9, 2011 #9 of 12
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I have heard that it is still in development and that it definately will not have DVR functionality. What I am hoping for is that it will be available with the S5 and include streaming capability from a TiVo.

10. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
  11. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    William McBrine has reported that TiVo devices that have no storage are being tested and have accessed his internet reversi game. Whether that device is the set-top box that will receive streams from a DVR for Suddenlink cable, or is the Insignia TV set with TiVo built-in for Best Buy is not really known yet.

Since Suddenlink is reported to be using the Premiere in their scheme, streaming may be coming to the S4s and a wait for S5 may not be necessary. But you never know.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Samsung is making a similar move sometime this summer when their new IPTV App will work with TW and Comcast to access all channels without the cablebox, as well as access to content on their DVRs in other rooms.

My local Comcast exec tells me that they are working with TiVo to provide VOD via IPTV with TiVo.