TIVO ----> Motorola Xoom

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jmvision, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jmvision

jmvision New Member

Jun 10, 2004

Advertisements

Anyone know if you can download TIVO shows to the new Motorola Zoom. Company gave me one, shows up today and just thought hey may work with my Tivo HD. The Zoom I believe is Mpeg3 and the the TivoHD is Mpeg 4, any idea if tivotogo will work with it, I have the full Tivo deskop plus.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Your TiVo recordings will all be MPEG-2 wrapped in an encrypted .tivo file format. Your Xoom requires H.264 video and AAC audio in an MP4 container.

TiVo Desktop Plus might be able to create a file compatible with the XOOM. There are also some freeware apps you can cobble together to do it. (i.e. tivodecode to decrypt the file, ffmpeg to encode it)

Another option is to use VideoReDo TVSuite v4 w/H.264. With it you can open the .tivo files directly, edit out the commercials and then save the file directly to a XOOM compatible format. There is a 15 day free trial so you can test it out and make sure it works. Also if you need any help creating a profile that will work with the XOOM just let me know and I can send you something that should work. (although you can probably start with the Droid profile since it is also an Android device and should have similar requirements)

Dan

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can try Kmttg, it has various converters.

4. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I use KMTTG along with Video Redo (For the QS fix) to format Tivo recorded content for the iPad. Works great.

5. John9Tim

John9Tim New Member

Dec 19, 2010

Advertisements

With the Motorola Xoom's 1280x800 screen resolution, you may think it will be amazing to get full-screen video on the 10.1-inch Android tablet. However, after playing videos with the Xoom, you will find that the button menu bar stays active all the time. So, if you transfer videos or movies with the 1280x800 resolution, the playing videos or movies on the Xoom will be adjusted to fit in the remaining space, leaving you with black borders on the sides.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    1280x800 is non-standard anyway. Most videos will have a 16:9 aspect ration which means they will be 1280x720.

Dan

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 19
    John9Tim

John9Tim New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    You're right, but i heard others convert TiVo shows to H.264 MP4 chose 1280x754 in full screen playback on Xoom

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 19
    solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Lots of folks want to do this... and it is one of tivo's most compelling features (one of the ONLY ones) their competition does not have. So it amazes me that tivo sees fit to force their users to a bunch of third party products (some good, some not so good - some documented well, others not at all) and let them figure it all out for themselves.

It is a relative no brainer for a company of tivos size to create and SUPPORT a single solution for all of this yet they choose not to. Instead they choose to distinguish themselves from the competition by... ummm... uhhh... hmmm... how are they doing that now?

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 19
    Krandor

Krandor Active Member

Jun 9, 2004
    With the growth of the mobile marketplace with phones, tablets, etc. TiVo should be trying to set themselves up in that space. Whatever company can provide the best content-on-the-go is going to be in a great position and TiVo could be that company.

10. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  11. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Too many HW requirements for poor TiVo, plus I am not sure I see the point when you can stream/control direct from the TiVo with a Sling/Vulkano box.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo has been lacking in the engineering department for a while, so it may just be they haven't improved TTG for this reason. However I think another reason is due to pressure from their investors. NBC is a major shareholder in TiVo and they really don't like TiVoToGo. They would much rather you pay $2 for a show through iTunes then transfer it from your TiVo and put it on your iPod yourself. Now that they have deals with almost every major cable provider as well, they're probably getting pressure from them too.

Dan

13. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    Yes, there are probably a bunch of licensing issues as well as the recording changes formats and moves from the TV to a tablet.

14. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I think they actually would prefer you to buy a $20-$60 Blu-Ray disc before a measly $2 iTunes rental (or both better yet)! Follow the money and you will usually arrive at the answer to your question.

15. Mikef5

Mikef5 Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Milpitas,...
    Wasn't NBC just bought by Comcast ??? Does that now make Comcast a major shareholder of Tivo ?:eek::eek:

Laters,
    Mikef5

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I guess it does. Although Comcast already had a stake in TiVo. They paid them $10M a few years ago to develop the TiVo software to run on the Motorola DVRs so Comcast could offer it as a premium service.

Dan

17. Giddion

Giddion New Member

May 29, 2002
    If you have a PC handy PlayOn does a nice job picking up files from your network and streaming them out to the Xoom. If you have your firewall set right you can get the files from anywhere.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    dvd catalyst 4 comes recommended by some of the other forums specific to xoom. It's 10- bucks and has a free streaming server you can download. So you would use it to convert all your stuff to streaming MP4 and then you can copy or stream it to the xoom.

I DONT KNOW if it can natively take the tivo files or if they need to be converted first. But it takes dvd's and lets you rip those so it wouldn't surprise me if it also excepted tivo files.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ