Tivo Monthly Pricing - Bye Bye...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spectecjr, May 20, 2011.

1. spectecjr

spectecjr Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

In an era when I'd expect the monthly fee for the Tivo service to be dropping (after all, it's now more than a rented cable DVR box, and doesn't give me any services that my Xbox and WDTV Live box don't already do), all of a sudden, they're increasing the price?

I mean seriously?

It's guide data. I don't care about the other stuff. What I get out of Tivo is basically everything I've gotten since the beginning - programs recorded, plus suggestions. I don't use any other features.

Well, Tivo... its been nice. But enough is enough. Subscription is cancelled as of June 8th. Everything else I can get on my computer, or my Xbox, or my phone, or on Netflix. For the little I want to record, I'll keep using my Tivo box in doorstop mode, and stick an antenna on it. And cancel my cable TV service while I'm at it.

It was great while it lasted. But I'm pretty much done.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I checked online it showed $14.95 a month for the new price. Comcast and FiOS here is a few dollars more. But once you add on the cable card, it brings the price to a point slighly below or slightly above what the Comcast and FiOS are charging. Of course teh TiVo is still many times betetr than what Comcast and FiOS offers in this area and certainly much more reliable at recording.

Either way $14.95 is a huge increase from the current $6.95 I'm paying for the one box I have on monthly.

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    take care.

4. Tanner

Tanner New Member

May 27, 2003
    same here.
    I'm done.

did you also see the lifetime price increase? LOL! $499!!! SUCKERS!

5. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW

Advertisements

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    The $14.95 is ridiculous, but I think it is designed to push you to lifetime. I think Tivo knows that lifetime subscribers don't have much churn. This moves the lifetime breakeven to about 27 months if you are making that decision.

The big unknown is what happens after that first year at $14.95 (MSD).

7. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Ok, so, some finance info follows... but bare with me.

Existing subscribers adding another box pay 399.99 for lifetime, right? New ones pay 499.99. The hardware (lower end) is $99.

Actual break even, assuming interest rates of 6% (might be a bit high in the current economy, but historically that is pretty conservative) and a payment of 14.95 a month, is:

25 (and a tiny decimal) months for 399.99 or

For a new subscriber, at 499.99 and 20 dollars a month, it's:

23.6 (figure the .6 is irrelevant, so 27). So it's actually a faster break-even for a new subscriber.

So, assuming you want to keep your TiVo that long and assuming technology changes do not make the TiVo useless, the Lifetime is virtually always the better choice. 25 months is barely 2 years. The hardware itself should have lifetimes of well over 5 years (I've had 2 boxes, one lasted 9 the other is on year 5).

My cable company charges 16.99 for a DVR box. TiVo is going to charge me 14.99 + I pay 2.00 for a cable card = 16.99. So the net monthly payment is the same and I am just out the hardware costs of the TiVo ($99). Obv, if it's your first box, it's worse, at -3 dollars a month and -99 upfront.

But if I buy a lifetime on the TiVo and pay $6 a month worth of cable cards and fees (like I said, my price is $2 per card, but I've heard prices as high as $6), then after 42 months I have paid a total of 676 + hardware ($99 = 775sh) vs the cable company box I have paid 791.85 and every month thereafter is "profit." If your CC price is $2 like mine, that calculation comes down to closer to 32 months, or less than 3 years. At less than 3 years the TiVo box with lifetime is literally saving me money over a Cable Company box.

Your calculations may vary, of course.

And all of this depends on you being able to use the box for that time period.

TiVo is asking for more upfront dollars than your cable company, but they are offering a superior product for most of us. Your cable company box costs more in the long term but less in the short term. Your cable company box is "insured for life" whereas your TiVo box is only insured for 1 year.

I don't use my TiVo for media... I find the PS3 to be superior for Netflix and other media streaming options... but it's a superior DVR and I can cost justify it as such.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Lifetime is now slightly cheaper with the box cost going down.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe it says in the fine print it goes to month to month.

The cost of $14.95 with a $99 TiVo lowers the cost compared to a TiVo at $299 and $9.95. Only in the third year does the price exceed what it used to cost. The first two years are cheaper by around $80.

Now if TiVo can get new hardware options every 18 months to 2 years, this would make sense since you could update every two years.

10. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I guess I meant, how log will it last? I could see Tivo sending a message after the first year and offering lifetime for an additional $75 off and maybe another $50 off after three years and so on.

Again, lifetime users churn much less than non-lifetime. It took Tivo a long time to recognize it, but I think they got it now. After all, lifetime is not really lifetime with upgrades, failures, etc. figured in.

11. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    The services industry makes the money and keeps in business not by offering lifetime service for a fee, but by having a amount coming in month after month on a regular basis. They get the one time fee, but if some people keep the box forever then the services company (Tivo included) is providing something with out getting anything. The only exception to this rule would be if someone has a lifetimed Tivo and then they have other monthly boxes that they pay for. Because they have a lifetime box they are more likely to keep their monthly boxes. Or that is my logic. When Tivo sells a lifetime box they are betting that box will fail and be trashed, or because they have such great reliability on their Tivos, that the person will move on to another DVR and throw the Tivo in the trash.
    I only have lifetimed boxes and haven't paid Tivo for any of them. They were all bought used.

(On another note, I love Tivo but now I am playing 'fourth fiddle' to my 'significant others' cat, and best friend, and Tivo that I gave her years ago. She loves that Tivo and won't even let me replace it with a full lifetime box! (it only has tivo basic.) I will probably have to sneak over there and replace it when she isn't looking. I need to find a Toshiba full lifetimed box to replace it with so she won't notice any difference until I show her the other features )

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If your in line behind the cat, the friend, and the TiVo (sounds like a book or song title:)), maybe you should replace the SO?:)

13. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    All they did was shave the price of the box and increase the subscription fees. Looks like a wash to me.

14. jtl63

jtl63 New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Canton, MI
    I feel your pain. I currently have a lifetime and a $6.95 subscription and when I looked into upgrading the new prices are just too high. Right now our cable company is going all digital so I guess its time to try their DVR.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unless you're picking up a used unit, in which case it costs more to subscribe than before if I understand correctly.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    At this point unless you are buying one with lifetime, buying used makes little sense.

17. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Am I correct in my understanding that if you are on a month to month like I am for $6.95, buying used makes sense since you can swap your TSN and continue to leverage the reduced rate. Unless they removed this option, but last time I logged onto my account this week I could still swap the TSN for that unit.

18. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ....I hope the door smashes his a$$ on the way out....

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    What are we "baring"....everything?

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Just curious, are the old rates "grandfathered" for current subscribers?
    IOW, do people that have the $6.95 rate get to keep it?
    What's going to happen if a subscriber attempts a 'change service number' on their account?

No dog in the fight for me (lifetime on all my Tivos), but I wonder what the impact will be.
    If the $6.95 rate is disappearing, I could envision a mass exodus happening.