TiVo Month-to-Month Pricing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by metaomni, Aug 15, 2007.

1. metaomni

metaomni New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I tried to read as much of the Fall 2006 thread as possible, but I can't seem to get it to mesh with what TiVo support is telling me on the phone.

I purchased a S2 box with 1-year prepaid service in August 2006 for a total of $299 (Box + Service, some special they were running). I was under the impression at the time, and from the FAQ in that Fall 2006 thread, that my service would now cost $12.95/mo as a service-only option. However, I'm being charged $16.95/mo, and was told by TiVo support that: "If your one-year prepay ENDED before 11/2006 you would qualify for 12.95/mo, not if you PURCHASED your prepay before 11/2006".

Does anyone know if I'm being jerked around by TiVo, or if this is how it actually is? I don't want to commit to a service agreement right now... and was planning on it being 12.95/mo without that commitment.

Thoughts?

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I think the way it works currently is when your prepay period ends you go on the monthly rate for a one-year contract. You can choose to commit to 2 or 3 years at this point and drop the rate by a few dollars per month, and then it will continue at that rate once your commitment ends.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You're not being jerked around. Regarding prepaid subscriptions, Tivo has always stated that when the prepay ends you'll pay the the current (at the time the prepay ends) monthly rate.

4. ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    I had a pre-pay box that just expired August 8th... I, too, carefully read the thread on the new pricing and read several posts that said we'd get the (rate at the time of purchase) $12.95/mo (minus MSD, if applicable). I was charged for the first month-to-month month (even though I'd already called to cancel) at $16.95-- they did not even do the MSD! Anyway, I got my $16.95 back and that old box will be a want-to-watch-it-live-but-might-have-to-use-the-restroom-and-can-still-pause-live-tv box. :D

So, either this was not true at the time, or they have (silently) exercised their right to change the rates we were promised.

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Thats got to be the most crock of s**t I have heard....

Now as ebf has pointed out, you purchased your Prepay before Nov 4 2006, so it should be $12.95 a Month.

unless of Course Tivo has decided to stick it to you, and used their Rights to charge whatever they want to.

But count yourself lucky. I am paying $19.95 a Month for Service. But after the rebate from Bellsouth it equals out to $12.95 a Month for a One Year term.

6. Ishma

Ishma New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Looks like they changed their policy in May 2007.

Per website... After the end of your monthly or prepaid commitment period, as applicable, your TiVo Package Payment Plan will continue on a monthly basis at the current rate that you are paying (excluding promotional rates), or at the then- applicable rate for a one (1), two (2), or three (3) year monthly TiVo Package based on whether your TiVo Package was for one (1), two (2), or three (3) years, whichever is the lower rate.

https://www3.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoservicepaymentplanstermsandconditions.html

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    So ebf is being stuck Twice by Tivo.

The BS Monthly price of the former Prepaid unit, after they had called to cancel. And then not even getting a MSD.

8. ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    To be fair, I did call to cancel on my cycle date-- the 8th. However, I asked the CSR if I'd been charged yet and she said no. During my follow up call to inquire about the charge I noticed a couple of days later I was told I would see a credit to my CC within two weeks-- it was there in two days. I did not bother asking why I was charged $16.95 and not $10.95 (MSD) as I had not plan to keep that box anyway.

9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The contracts are fairly easy to get out of. I got out of two. There seems to be an issue with the billing system. You can trick it!!!

10. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    You (and I) got jerked around last fall when they changed their pricing plans.

Before the new plans, buying the prepaid plan looked like a good idea. It was cheaper for a year, and then the same after that ($12.95).

But tivo jerked us because they changed the 1-year commitment price.

So if you had instead of doing prepaid simply bought the tivo and paid $12.95/month (the price then), you would still have that price.

11. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    ...and you can still have that price if you call accounting and agree to a 3 year monthly plan. also, if that box is a second box it'll get billed at $6.95 on the msd.
    --
    Alan :D

12. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I understand that. Point is, I could have that pricing without the three year commitment if I had not done prepaid for a year last fall.

13. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    so why is it that you feel jerked around, you made the decision to do a prepaid deal?
    --
    Alan :D

14. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Because at the time customers were led to believe that the prepaid deal would continue at the same rate. Tivo had not announced the "same rate at the time of renewal" policy. It was not a one-year contract; it was a contract to pay $12.95 monthly, with the first 12 months prepaid.

For comparison, at the time I obtained MSD pricing of $6.95/month. That continues today, and I have not been asked to renew or make any additional commitment. Had I not given tivo money upfront, then I would also have $12.95 pricing grandfathered in.

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    You mean YOU were led to believe. Those of us who are familiar with business knew then, as we know now, that anything important enough for you to base your purchasing decisions on is important enough to get in writing, and if you cannot get it in writing then you should make all your decisions based on the assumption that no such assurance is being offered to you.

This is a real critical point. Folks should always make decisions based on what they have explicit assurances of (whether written or otherwise). If you make your decisions based on anything else -- i.e., assumptions based on your own perceptions or the best guesses of others -- then YOU are personally accountable if those assumptions turn out not to be correct.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am with Bicker on this one. The terms of the 1 year prepay "deals" always indicated you would pay the current 1 year commitment monthly price at the end of your prepay period.

The only plan that locks in your costs for an extended period of time is the 3 year prepay. All the monthly plans (including MSD rates) can go up at any time and as many have found out a 1 year prepay plan goes fast and is a fairly poor deal.

We would all like lower costs and no or short commitments but TiVo isn't offering that option. I think people need to understand you can either pick between lower costs or shorter commitments and base their decision to buy or not buy a TiVo with that in mind.

Thanks,

17. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    There is a third option, that I'm actively pursuing at the moment. I fell in love with tivo when I got to play with my friend's box for a couple of days. But [This is solely my humble opinion] Tivo's prices are about 20% too high in my book.

So rather than let that kill the deal for me, I'm going to search until I find a good deal on a lifetime subscribed tivo on eBay. I've seen S1 boxes go for $150-$200 and S2 boxes as low as $250. With as easy as it is to upgrade the hard drives on them cheaply, I think the best option for me at the moment is to get a secondhand lifetime sub.

Maybe if Tivo sees their number of new activations stagnate, they'll adjust their prices a little. I strongly feel they are pricing themselves at slightly too high a premium with their current rate structure.

18. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Lets all hope Tivo does so bad that they would have to lower their prices, or just go out of business, which ever comes 1st. :(

19. matt314159

matt314159 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    That's not really what I meant. Tivo was a pioneer and I want to see them succeed. But I think there are a lot of people like me, who would become a new subscriber, if only the price were a little more reasonable.

For instance, why is it that when my friend, finishes out a 3 year contract, gets himself a new box, and wants to give his old box to me, Why is it necessary for me to enter another 3 year contract in order to get reasonable pricing? I understand the concept of the subsidized box, it's like a cell phone. You get the device for cheaper than cost, but then the 1, 2 , or 3 year contract makes up for the rest. But Why don't they have reasonable "bring your own box" pricing available?

I'm sure this discussion has taken place time and again through the years on this forum, I know im not bringing any new ideas to the table, like I said, it's all solely my personal opinion. And I'm sure that as a n00b, I'm only seeing a small patch of the big picture. But that's how I see it.

20. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Prices are either reasonable or not reasonable. What I think you meant to say is you want prices to be lower. As atmuscarella said, we would all like lower costs. That doesn't necessarily make lower costs more reasonable, though.

Most likely because market research indicates either that that is the pricing model that serves the best long-term interests of the enterprise, or because that is the minimal commitment necessary to ensure that supporting that box going forward will be minimally profitable. You'd have to ask TiVo to get a definitive answer, but understand that asking "Why?" with regard to pricing models is almost the same as asking for the "Secret Recipe" or some other highly-proprietary information -- they're under no obligation to, and well-adviced not to, share such information with the general public.

Keep in mind that there used to be pricing like you are discussion -- they deliberately change the pricing to remove that option. Deliberately.