Tivo Modem Sensitivity

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by daveshawuk, Aug 22, 2006.

1. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002

Advertisements

My Tivo is currently in Spain attempting to update itself via a wireless telephone link on a weekly basis. Unfortunately the line quality is so bad that it often takes up to 100 attempts before a successful download of the update completes - hence my astronomical phone bill. I do have reliable broadband so in the longer term I will install a cachecard and update over the Internet. In the meantime can anyone suggest whether :

1> I would be better attempting an update more regularly i.e. would the download be smaller and therefore statistically more likely to succeed ?

2> Is there any other way of getting access to the program guide data ? Can it be hacked off another Tivo as a single file for instance.

3> Can the Tivo modem be adjusted to cope better with poor quality telephone lines ?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Un Saludo

Dave

2. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    1. Try putting ,#155 in the dialing prefix.

2. Search the archived UK forum for "phonex" to find out what this does and why.

3. benallenuk

benallenuk New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Southampton
    I take it your using sky in spain, rather than the (dodgy) Microwave STB thingy.

Just a thought, worth a try.

If you select fewer channels in (Channels I recieve), the daily downloads may be smaller. It makes sence to me that why should tivo download epg data for channels you wouldnt recieve.

To be Truthful, I only watch about 20 channels maximum on sky as they are either repeats or rubbish!

I bet you dont get BBC-2 if ur on sky lol.

Cheers

Be3n

4. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Great. My dial prefix is currently set to "901988888,," ( without the quotes ). Presumably I just prefix the prefix with ",#155" ?

What exactly does this setting do ?

Cheers

Dave