TiVo, MOCA, and Comcast XB3 Modem

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PSU_Sudzi, Oct 24, 2015.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

I just picked up my new Comcast XB3 modem on Friday and set it up, really nice to have 180 MBpS download speeds and it has MOCA built in as an option. So I turned on the MOCA option in the modem and pulled the ethernet cable out of the Roamio I have in the living room. Once I setup the MOCA on the Roamio and rebooted it, all seems to work (I have an internet connection and was able to connect to Netflix and Amazon Video). But I've noticed that sometimes when I browse a show on the Roamio, it loses internet connectivity briefly and then it returns. And when I tried a video on Amazon, same thing, it lost connection a few times and paused. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this, not sure how many users here have an XB3, if that's relevant.

2. Sixmm

Sixmm New Member

Oct 2, 2015

I was told by comcast that they have turned off the Moca because it is glitchy. I went ahead and got a moca bridge for the gateway.

3. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Hmm that's odd, as I was on the phone with their tech last week and he didn't mention it.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I would do all of the normal MoCA troubleshooting, put 75Ohm F-type terminators on all open wall plates, any unused ports on splitters, check that your cabling is in good condition, all RG-6, and make sure that there is a POE/ Whole Home DVR filter either on your tap or on the input to the first splitter to enter your home. If none of this works consider replacing your main splitter with a MoCA rated one, possibly others if still no success.

5. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. I live in a condo where the splitters are up in the ceiling so no luck there. All of my coax outlets are plugged into something, either a modem or a TiVo device.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Have you ever noticed strange computers/ devices showing up on your home network? If no, there may already be a MoCA filter at the tap which is important for security and there is probably nothing more you can do. If you occasionally or continually see some unknown device(s) on your network, you most assuredly do not have a MoCA filter installed. If so, call Comcast and request that they install one ASAP because your network is open to anyone closeby with a MoCA adapter. Also, if you install a MoCA filter, you will give a boost or strengthen to MoCA signal.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So was your Roamio (Plus?) previously creating your MoCA network? And you weren't experiencing any of these issues?

8. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No, I can browse all of the devices connected on my MoCA network via the XB3 interface and all are devices are mine, nothing that appears to be unknown.

9. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes, previously on my Roamio Plus I had it create the MoCA network but it was connected to the internet via the ethernet port with a Netgear WNCE2001 wireless card. Its a nice card as it "tricks" devices into thinking its connected via ethernet even though its wifi. But its a bit dated and its speed is not the best so when I got the new modem with MoCA built in, I thought it a good idea to turn it on and then let my Roamio connect to the internet via MoCA for a faster internet connection. In addition, this would allow me to connect my Xbox One to the TiVo so that would be hard cabled as well.

I just disconnected the ethernet cable from the back of the TiVo and re-ran setup for the MoCA. I connected to Amazon to start a video to see how long it would run before it gave me a lost connection message (previously it would only connect for a few minutes and then time out) and it never happened, played through for 15 minutes before I stopped it.

Do you think there could be a problem in plugging the Xbox One into the TiVo that causes MoCA issues?

10. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I've confirmed that by plugging the ethernet cable from the Xbox One back into the TiVo, it causes the internet connection to drop. I did also note that when I go into the network settings, it now reads connected via Ethernet and MoCA. Should this be correct even if the ethernet connection is being used as a hub?

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know what it should say on the network status screen, but I *do* believe you should be configuring it only with the "Connect using MoCA" option -- and NOT the "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network" option. (Using the second option would tell the DVR to act as a MoCA controller, and the Xfinity XB3 router is already handling that responsibility.)

edit: If the only thing you did on the Plus was unplug the Ethernet cable, and didn't also go into the Plus' network settings to change it from "create MoCA" to "connect using MoCA" ... that is very likely the issue -- especially given the symptoms pop-up when connecting the Xbox One. (Without the Xbox One connected, the Plus probably disables its MoCA controller, since it doesn't see a live Ethernet connection to which it could bridge traffic.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm reading this as you having possibly reset the Plus' network config using the "Connect using MoCA" option.

Regardless, I'd also recommend putting the Plus into Standby, pulling its power, waiting a few minutes, and then powering it back on. I'm pretty sure I've read of instances where network configuration changes haven't necessarily been applied without a reboot of the Roamio.

edit: p.s. If you can temporarily string a long Ethernet cable to your router, you might try connecting the Roamio directly to your router via Ethernet, and reset its networking to Ethernet only. Once that's working and verified, shift back to coax only and see if you get different results with the "Connect using MoCA" option -- without and with the Xbox One hanging off the Plus' Ethernet port.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I can confirm that I set up the network settings to connecet using MoCA and not create a MoCA network. It seems if you plug anything into the ethernet port in the TiVo, it automatically changes your network settings to MoCA + Ethernet, even if the device connected to the ethernet port is being used to piggyback off the TiVo's internet and not being used for an internet connection.

14. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I tried the scenarios you suggested above, and everything works OK when I do this. The only thing that seems to make the MoCA internet connection break sometimes is connecting the Xbox One to the TiVo ethernet port. So after some testing, if I connect the Xbox One via my wifi, I still get 60+ MBpS download speeds which is more than enough for some gaming. Tethering it to the TiVo was giving me 90+ MBpS but that additional speed is not worth it for my Amazon to crap out q2min. Thanks for all your help and I guess I'll keep an eye out to see if anyone else posts an issue around using the TiVo as an internet hub.

15. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I can't imagine even thinking it would be a "reliable" hub and for only a single device? Why wouldn't you just do a MoCA to E-net at that location and then do E-net to both devices and likely have a couple more ports available on the hub/adapter. I've been using a Comcast Gateway and MoCA to my TiVo for many months now. Another TiVo is still on E-net at the other end of the house and I've absolutely no issues. I don't believe the "daisy chain" idea is a solution of any sort.

I actually have a switch in the network also and the E-net connected TiVo is from the switch and NOT using a port off of the Gateway.

16. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    From the thread below, see the "power tip" at the bottom of the first post, other users have done this before though I am not sure if its been done directly to an Xbox One. I don't have a ethernet hub lying around and really only care about the internet speed on the TiVo and Xbox, my Samsung TV and Bluray player can continue to connect to the internet when needed via wifi. But it looks like I should probably get one if I want to connect the Xbox to the MoCA, thanks for your advice.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501722&highlight=moca+power+user

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, it looks like you're already contemplating what I was going to suggest, as a test: hang an Ethernet switch* off the Ethernet port of your TiVo, and see if that causes the intermittent network glitches you were seeing with the Xbox One directly connected.

If the network switch alone doesn't create similar issues, then connect the Xbox One to an open port on the TiVo-connected switch and monitor for a return of symptoms.

If the switch workaround eliminates the issues, connect additional devices as desired.

* p.s. Now whether you go with a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) or Gigabit (1000Mbps) switch is up to you, noting that a Gigabit switch should theoretically net you a small speed improvement, eliminating the typical Fast Ethernet throttling of MoCA 1.1 traffic. (i.e. A Gigabit switch would match the Gigabit ports on the Roamio Plus and Xbox One, and you're fortunate enough to have your MoCA bridge embedded in your gateway, rather than the typical MoCA 1.1 adapter with a Fast Ethernet port acting as your MoCA bridge.)

19. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Hi Krkaufman, thanks for all of your help. I haven't yet done the ethernet hub check yet, trying to solve another MoCA mystery first--intermittent switching off of the MoCA setting in the XB3 modem. Everything works fine for a few days or so, then the TiVo loses internet connectivity. I log into the XB3 and see the MoCA has been switched off. Not sure what is causing it and a call to Comcast entry level support left me on the phone for 45 minutes this week with a bunch of "can you repeat the issue again?". Ugh...

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Urgh. Yeah, sounds like the Xbox One issue is the least of your concerns.

Good luck..!