Tivo mislead me re: Comcast mpeg4 and Tivo HD :-(

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Michael123xyz, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Michael123xyz

Michael123xyz New Member

Apr 16, 2017

Advertisements

On March 14th, I got an email from Tivo saying my beloved Tivo HD would stop working mid march because of a comcast mpeg4 rollout.

I scrambled to research all my tivo options, briefly considered going with a comcast dvr, but ultimately decided to buy a 1TB bolt with lifetime.

Here was are one month later and my other Tivo HD is working perfectly fine.

I called comcast to see if their mpeg4 rollout was complete in my area and they said yes. The comcast tech said he read on a tivo forum that tivo ultimately pushed a firmware update which enabled the tivo HD to continue working.

Either way, I'm not happy that I had to part with $800 last month when my TIVOs were capable of handling the mpeg4 from comcast.

:-(

Sad in Philly,
    Mike

2. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    This is somewhat bizarre. Tivo had turned the mpeg4 channel recording capability back on for the Tivo HD long before March 14 of this year. Why they would still be telling you this at that late date is puzzling. Are you sure your "other" HD was not in fact an original series 3 (these had never had the software capability in the first place so it couldn't simply be turned back on)?

3. Michael123xyz

Michael123xyz New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Why is it working?

From that once in a lifetime offer thread, was I eligible for this:
    "Just wanted to give you the heads up that because volumes have been higher than forecast we're going to end the $99 transfer promo for S2/S3 sooner than planned, perhaps as early as Friday (4/14). As I'd previously commented on the end date, I wanted to make sure I gave you advanced notice."

From the screen shot above, do I have an eligible "S3"???

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I've got people about here and my attention span is never great anyway, but here's a quick try:

Your Tivo Model HD is working fine with mpeg4 channels and should be. If you had an original series 3 it never has worked, and almost certainly never will work, with mpeg4 channels.

The $99 lifetime transfer promotion for the series 3 and Model HD (and others) is over.

Read what I have written, think it over and I believe your questions are answered. That's the best I can do today.

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

The letter/screen shot you posted states that TiVoHDs will work.

TiVoHDs are a later model Series 3 TiVo. Early model Series 3 were not able to get a software update to enable mpeg4 recording. So I think that's where some of the confusion lies.

The screen shot doesn't show the TSN. It shows the software version. Big difference.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Your TivoHD is part of the "Series 3 family" and as your 1st post showed it is not affected.
    The "Series3" DVR is considered the original model with an OLED display which you do not have and shown as needing replacement.
    Since these are commonly confused and you haven't posted the letter from Tivo, there's the chance you might have been confused there also

[ETA]And the System Info screen shows nothing as waynomo said since the TivoHD and S3 top section of the screen would show the same, the TSN number is the key and you're not showing it.[/ETA] Yeah.. not enough attention on my side.. OP did have the TSN there, I was just blind to it

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think TiVo misled you:

email:
    your TSN starts with 652. (System Information Screen Shot, 4th line, TiVo Service Number).

Ergo, your TiVo is compatible and continues to function.

PS: Looks like you were eligible for the $99 Lifetime offer.

8. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    Can you post the actual model numbers of both your S3 units? That would be a big help.

It seems you have an original S3 (model # TCD648250B with the OLED front panel and a TSN # starting with 648-0001... the model that reportedly won't work with mpeg4) as well the later Tivo HD (which is still an S3 series).

9. Michael123xyz

Michael123xyz New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    The Tivo Service number is in the 4th line of the system info screen shot and as GBL says, it's prefixed with 652 so it does indeed work.

I must say this is insanely confusing branding and identification of models.

Here's the letter I received:

"

Dear Michael,
    You may have received notification from Comcast regarding an upgrade to their HD channel platform on their XFINITY TV service. Some digital converters (cable boxes) will not support this new platform and must be upgraded before the change occurs in mid-March. If you do not have an HD programming package with XFINITY, you will not be affected. If you do, you will need to upgrade your digital converter to prevent service interruption.
    Change can be tough, so we're giving you an exclusive, limited-time upgrade offer. Get a TiVo-renewed Premiere XL DVR for FREE with either an all-in-plan or monthly plan! You choose. With TiVo Premiere XL you won't need an HD converter from XFINITY. You'll continue to get all your HD channels and so much more, like access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus1. Offer ends March 31, 2017, so act now2.

FREE TiVo-renewed Premiere XL
    with Service $34998 one-time payment2
    -OR-
    with $14.99/month service subscription2
    (1-year commitment)
    • Record 2 shows at once
    • Record up to 1,350 hours
    • Works with digital cable or HD antenna
    EXCLUSIVE CALL CENTER OFFER:
    CALL 877-289-8486 while supplies last.

If you want to upgrade or have questions about your current TiVo DVR, call us at 877-289-8486.
    Thank you,

Nicola Mattis
    Customer Marketing Manager
    "

10. Quaro

Quaro Member

Sep 14, 2004
    You are eligible RIGHT NOW for the 99$ lifetime upgrade but the deal could end at any moment. You could always upgrade your old Bolt for 99$ and then sell it to make back some of the money you lost in the other upgrade, if you don't need two in the house.

11. Michael123xyz

Michael123xyz New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    I'm mad when I called in to buy the lifetime they didn't alert me to the special.

It was less than 30 days ago so I'm going to cancel the $550 lifetime and hope to get the $99 one.

How /where are these specials advertised ??

Thx
    Mike

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    At TiVo's website; via email; here; in blogs devoted to finding deals.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That ended on the 14th (as posted here in the thread on it) and you had to buy the Bolt from TiVo with the $99 lifetime upgrade/move. :(

Update: Someone posted that the Bolt+ (6 tuners/3TB) was still available today for this promotion.

Scott

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Isn't it the case that originally, at first, TiVo was NOT going to push any updates to have the HD/HDXL's compatable with MPEG4? I seem to remember that, but I could be wrong. It was later, and not too much later, that word spread that TiVo would provide a firmware upgrade after all for the HD/HDXL that would allow compatablity with MPEG4? Perhaps that was why the OP was sent the letter in the first place.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Yes, that is correct. TiVo broadcast early that all S3 models would not get mpg4 functionality - then backtracked and provided an update to the HD models. The OLED models "could not / would not" get the update.

It was actually a nice, unexpected and smart move by TiVo.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Even if the TSN wasn't listed on the info screen pic the OP posted, the software version is and it shows that it is a 652 model Tivo - the last 3 digits of the version #.