1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Minis Won’t Stream Prime Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Springfield, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 19
    Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Hey all, lurked around here for a bit but now I need some help. I’ve contacted Tivo support and while they’ve been helpful my problem is still unsolved so I’m hoping the seasoned vets here can help me.

My setup: Bolt and 2 1st gen Minis all running the most recent version of Tivo software. Verizon Fios is the service provider so this is networked through Moca.

My problem: Neither of the Minis can stream Prime Video. I can login to my prime account, then I can navigate the UI and look for movies/shows to watch, then select the episode and... nothing. I get a spinning wheel and it freezes. Sometimes if I’m lucky, I will get laggy and jittery video with skipping sound before it locks up. I disconnect power to the Mini, let it reload and voila, Prime works fine! Watch Prime for a couple days, then it happens again. Disconnect power and I’m back in business. It affects both of my Minis and not my Bolt.

What Tivo support has had me do:
    1. Install a POE filter before my first (and only, I’ll get to that later) splitter.
    2. Perform a hard reset on all boxes.
    3. Swap locations of the boxes.
    None of the above solved my problems.

What I’ve also done:
    I’ve repaired some connections on my home coax wiring ends that I thought could be troublesome.
    My splitter is a BAMF 8 way splitter (https://www.amazon.com/BAMF-8-Way-S...y+splitter&dpPl=1&dpID=41XgxS1L6zL&ref=plSrch) so I took that out of the picture and just used multiple splitters instead.
    Hard reset on my Fios gateway router.

My opinion is the new update to Tivo UI tanked the streaming part of the Minis. I can be watching cable just fine (so I know signal is there) and then go to Amazon and get the spinning wheel of death when trying to stream and episode of Seinfeld. I suspect that two new Tivo Mini Vox Will solves what ails, but that’s another $350 investment and the reason most of us switched to Tivo was to free ourselves from unnecessary cable costs... right?

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 19
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    A few things, your problem may be an iffy MoCA setup which you seem to be focused on, but it is also a good possibility that it is software related and I am not sure a new VOX mini will guaranty a fix.
    To continue with the MoCA trouble shooting, the most reliable/successful splitters are either the Holland or Verizon brands. On Fios, there is no necessity to use a MoCA filter for security purposes alone, but you do benefit from the reflective quality of the MoCA filter, so it's not a bad idea even on Fios.
    It's not really clear how your coax is networked, i.e., a nice home run setup or the more typical cascade of splitters, but generally it is a good idea to minimize the number of unnecessary coax ports and if you have any spare or open ports pick up a 10 pack of F-type 75 Ohm terminators and use one on any open coax ports.
    If on the off chance that you actually have a home run coax setup, there is on other splitter which may be beneficial for MoCA setups with home run wiring, https://www.amazon.com/AMPHENOL-IPG...=1532005123&sr=8-2&keywords=AMPHENOL+SPLITTER
    That splitter has a builtin MoCA filter, and if you can isolate your minis or other MoCA only devices to use one of the 4 MoCA only ports, it could be beneficial. The downside is that it has only 3 ports which can carry both MoCA and CATV frequencies, which could be problematic depending on the type and location of your devices are situated. There is a similar device also manufactured by Extreme Engineering which looks almost identical, but that one differs in that it only has 2 ports capable of carrying MoCA and CATV signals.

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 19
    Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018

So Moca setup, short of a picture is:

ONT -> POE filter -> 8 Way splitter -> (Devices)
    (Devices) -> Verizon Gateway
    Tivo Bolt
    Tivo Mini 1
    Tivo Mini 2
    Open Coax jack (to be used with a Moca to Ethernet adapter later for PC)

I was trying to use the 8 way splitter to simplify the setup because all of the coax wiring terminates right near my ONT box. So perhaps I'll get some splitters and cascade it as the next step.

4. Oct 6, 2018 #4 of 19
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah, that is exactly opposite of my recommendation, please re-read. If you have what you describe, a home run coax setup, you might consider the amphenol splitter which I linked to but....read and understand it's limitations.

5. Oct 6, 2018 #5 of 19
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Nowadays, there are two release branches for the TiVo software, so the above is ambiguous. Are your boxes running 20.* (traditional UI, Encore) or 21.* (new experience UI, Hydra/Mira)?

Given your symptoms, I’ma guess 21.8.*.

See: NETWORK DROPS: Netflix and Amazon frequently looses network on BOLTS.

6. Oct 6, 2018 #6 of 19
    Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Got it, I was just posting my current routing, not saying that it was correct.

7. Oct 6, 2018 #7 of 19
    Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    It is 21.8.2

I’ll read that link now.

8. Oct 6, 2018 #8 of 19
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. If you’re not having ANY issues when viewing live or recorded tuned content on a Mini then I’d think your network setup isn’t at fault for this particular issue. TiVo-to-TiVo streaming requires much more bandwidth and is much less resilient
    than streaming from Internet services. Network issues usually exhibit, first, as streaming issues between TiVos.

9. Oct 6, 2018 #9 of 19
    Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    I have not had problems watching any tuned content, either live or recorded, on any of the Minis. It’s only Prime (that I’m aware of). I only use Netflix and YouTube sparingly on the Minis.

Also, the problem is only with my Minis, my Bolt has been uneffected plays tuned content and recorded content fine, as well as any streaming content. Nobody in the thread that you mentioned posted about having issues with Minis, just the Bolt (which I don’t have any issues with).

Is there a way to roll back the software on Minis?

If changing around the Moca network doesn’t solve the issues then I’d think my next step is to go back to the old UI.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As for stress testing the Mini, go to YouTube and start streaming one of those kids programs. It ran for two hours on my Mini units without an issue. The format was 1080p24. But as has been posted, streaming services are a very light load compared to video from the host.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes. Just be aware that it requires rolling back the software on the host DVR, and that doing so erases all recordings and settings.

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  12. Springfield

Springfield New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Well that’s not ideal. Haha!

I think I’ll try the networking aspect first before losing all of my recorded stuff.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't blame you. I would like to point out that recordings and live TV come from the host. Streaming services do not.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that — given the time, gear and copy-freely content — you can use KMTTG to save critical settings (OnePasses, channel list) and recordings prior to the rollback; and then use KMTTG to restore settings, and PyTivo Desktop to restore recordings, after the rollback is completed.

But, yeah, the consequence of the rollback does sorta make it a fix of last resort.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that you could also use the information from the other thread and contact TiVo to press them on the issue, determine if your symptoms are related, and see if there’s an estimated timeline for the fix.

It *does* seem severe to snuff all your recordings to resolve an Amazon and/or Netflix issue. (I’d briefly forgotten the actual symptoms.) One alternative would be to buy a cheap Roku Express to ride-out the glitch.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just started Streaming "Forever" on my A95 Mini running TE4. It's 1080P24, DD+.

Update: streamed for first 6 episodes. Amazon wanted me to tell them I was still alive, but I wasn't watching.

17. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    That’s not necessarily true. My experience (albeit with powerline adapters, not MOCA) was that TiVo to Mini streaming if live TV or recorded content was perfectly fine, but Netflix was problematic and wouldn’t start up, even after a fresh reboot.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As stated ...
    ... it is entirely true, given the “usually” qualifier.

Out of curiosity, how was this issue resolved?

19. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I switched to a WiFi mesh network.