TIVO mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by caupton50, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM.

Tags:
  1. caupton50

caupton50 New Member

Apr 17, 2017

Advertisements

I have a TIVO TCD75825 in my living room. I have a coax coming out of the wall in the bedroom. What kind of Tivo mini with lifetime subscription should I get for the bedroom? And does the mini require a cable card like the TCD75825 uses? Do I just hook it up to the coax and that's it? Thanks for any help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The question is where does that coax lead back to? If it leads just to the cable inlet, you need a MoCa adapter to the first splitter and the router. Otherwise, it can connect by ethernet.

All Minis are almost the same and they don't have a cable card slot or any tuners, all have lifetime.

Next, how is the Premiere connected for network/internet? If just coax, then it means you also have MoCa. Ethernet is best. Recommend not use Wireless.

3. caupton50

caupton50 New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    The Tivo is connected to Comcast via coax and modem. There is no ethernet in the bedroom. I have a wireless router, a TP Link AC 1750. I live in an apartment so I'm guessing the coax is connected to a splitter SOMEWHERE. I have another TIVO TCD74800 with lifetime. It needs a cable card which means Comcast will charge me $10 a month. I'm just looking for an easy install to watch tv in the bedroom.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the Premiere 4 (758) is connected just by coax, then its using MoCa, which is networking over coax.

A mini can use the coax in bedroom, if it will connect to the router over the coax.

5. caupton50

caupton50 New Member

Apr 17, 2017

Advertisements

Which mini do you recommend? Will I be able to watch what is recorded on the 758 and live tv that is on the 758. Thanks.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any or all models work.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A Premiere XL4/Elite ... compatible as a host DVR for any Mini version, and has built-in MoCA.

Any Mini version will offer a comparable experience to your Premiere, but you might want an original v1/A92 Mini if looking for the same user experience (same IR-only remote control with same button layout). (see here for addl v1/v2 comparison info; TL/DR: the v1/v2 Mini's are basically the same aside from remote control functionality; see here for Mini VOX comparison to earlier v1/v2 Mini's)

edit: p.s. Note that you won't be able to take advantage of some features of the Mini VOX/LUX models, as they require the TE4/Hydra interface ... which isn't supported for Premiere DVRs, and Mini software version is linked to the selected host DVR.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 2:13 PM