TiVo Mini & wireless adapter with Roamio on wi-fi

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mbernste, Dec 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

1. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was wondering if anyone has tried using the TiVo Mini Vox with the new USB wireless adapter where the "host" TiVo (in my case it would be a Roamio) is also on wi-fi. I know it is recommended that the host TiVo be on a wired network, but would this work? My wireless router is literally in a room adjacent to both the Roamio and where I would be using the Mini Vox & wireless adapter. Both devices would be on a 5 GHz network. Right now my router is configured to use a self organizing network, but if need be, I can turn that off.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It might work, but the basic Roamio has pretty poor wireless. Not so much the range but the speed. You should only need about 20Mbps, but I'll try it when I get my adapter. It's in the mail. Just to be accurate, they recommend Ethernet. I have three Roamio boxes that use Ethernet to wireless bridges. Their slave Mini (also on bridges) have no problems.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't know if, tech-wise, streaming to a Mini from a TiVo box is different from streaming to a TiVo box from another TiVo box, but I was doing the latter the other day, from a Bolt box to a Roamio box, both connected to my pretty pedestrian (or even blah) wireless network via wireless, and it was working out pretty well. I did note that there was a millisecond longer lag when I would use the 8-second replay or 30-second skip buttons, and there may have been a slight lag at one or 2 points which then corrected themselves, but surprisingly (for my wireless network) pretty decent enough.*

* I should note that the Roamio box to which I was streaming always has had intermittent WiFi connection issues, which TiVo once explained to me was a known issue with my standard, AT&T-supplied router. Earlier this year, I tried setting the Roamio box to an Ethernet connection and connecting it to a pretty basic WiFi bridge, thereby bypassing the box's own WiFi adapter--my connection and connection speed seemed to improve.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There has been some improvement in TiVo's networking since the Bolt was released. A change that can be observed is that a TE4 Mini VOX will display as a disconnected TiVo when you also have a TE3 host and you unplug the Mini VOX. Also, a Mini VOX appears with TiVo Online, but grayed out.

Also, the stress test for a Roamio is using its internal wireless to a router that has a Mini connected. That used to be a total fail, but seems to pass anymore. Something changed. Basic Roamio to Basic Roamio would transfer files, but the rate was only 45Mbps. Roamio (bridge) to Roamio (bridge) gets me 93Mbps any day.

5. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is all great information. I'm seriously considering getting the TiVo Mini Vox and the wireless adapter. Short of drilling holes through walls or fishing wire (neither of which I would say I am skilled at doing), I don't see where running a wired connection to the Roamio would be a feasible long term solution.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just to be clear: the Mini VOX bridge/wireless talks to your router. There was some earlier rumors that it would go directly to its host. That didn't happen. So your network will be as good as your router. General rule: the more antenna the better. Good router, but ugly: Netgear R8000.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    In my case I have no choice but use the FiOS G1100 since it has the built in MoCA bridge for my TVs.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey, the TiVo box-to-TiVo box streaming was working pretty well for me a couple of days ago, over an outdated Netgear N-speed/2.4 GHz router provided by AT&T. And so, anything above that should be pure gravy. :)

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hey, I said it worked. But what was your transfer speed? :):)

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, I was streaming, not transferring. ;) And I didn't check--I was just happy that it worked, and pretty well--my home network is pretty, er, challenged, and being able to stream anything HD was a shock. :cool:

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Could you network your Roamio from the MoCA bridge?

12. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's just asking for all kinds of trouble. I would be introducing additional splitters that reduce signal quality and potentially could play havoc with my existing video setup.

13. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Concur.

14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    You can probably get two wireless AC bridges for less than the cost of the Tivo adapter.

You could also give powerline a try-people's mileage varies, though you'd need to buy three adapters.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 9:50 AM
  15. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    First of all, powerline can be very slow (much slower than wi-fi). Secondly, multiple bridges can lead to a double NAT situation which can cause all kinds of issues with port forwarding and connectivity to both inbound and outbound resources (especially with the delta NAS backups between two NASes, my VPN server and Plex server). Also if I want to avoid the double NAT situation, I would have to set up a separate subnet and that can be a mess as well.

16. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Just so I understand, the bandwidth improvement below is a case of the Roamio's software/CPU no longer acting as a bottleneck for your external wireless adapters, not the Roamio's wireless adapter being sufficient for streaming, right?

17. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    There is tons of experience of people successfully using bridges easily and transparently to network their Tivos. I've never heard of anyone successfully streaming from their Roamio's internal wireless.

18. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Then you need to read the first several posts in this thread.

19. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Both of these people specifically said that their Roamios were connected by bridges.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I know there have been changes (improvements?) in TiVo's wireless from series 5 up. I never felt the bottleneck was the processing power. I felt it was a poor interface from the wired ethernet to the wireless. Streaming, as in internet, has never been an issue for me. My problem has always been the Mini. I would get failure to find, disconnects and stuttering. Many things in my system have changed over the years so I can't point to a part or unit that I would say was the fault. But with the Bolt release, and the close (in time) Roamio update, software changed. All this was just before Rovi came along. The significant reduction of dead time when entering and leaving TiVo Central was about the same time, along with the odd audio dropouts (different story).

Since I still use TE3, the speed with pyTiVo Desktop measured by my PC on the same network comes really close to 100Mbps. I would get better speed with a Bolt, with some members reporting over 300Mbps in a wired environment. Since my wifi 5 is coming from CA, I won't get to play with it until next week. That sucks.