Tivo Mini will not connect to Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by JerryAC, Jan 22, 2021.

1. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Mini which was paired with a Roamio OTA. Back in March of 2020, I deactivated my Roamio because I subscribed to Dish. I have Premiere which has a lifetime. Last week I decided to cancel the Dish and connect the Premiere to the Mini. The Mini cannot detect the Premiere, even though they are on the same network, connected via network cable.

I have worked with Tivo tech support, which walked me through the shutdown, rebooting, etc. Unfortunately the tech rep told me she guaranteed me that they would now connect so she disconnect the call. Well her guarantee was wrong.

Is it the Premiere's fault? Is the Roamio reactivation the only solution? I bought a Tablo Quad to replace the Tivo because Tivo wouldn't reactivate my Roamio at the $6.95 rate I had. I am not unhappy with the Tablo, but I dislike not being able to use the Tivo to stream recorded content to the Mini. By the way, I have a Tivo Stream that works perfectly with the Premiere.

I would sell the Mini on ebay, but I am unsure if it defective.
    Thanks

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How many tuners does your Premiere have, 2 or 4?

Only the 4-tuner Premieres can be configured as host DVR for a Mini. (Mini requirements)

(Yes, the 2-tuner EDGE for Antenna DVR can serve as the host DVR for a Mini, but TiVo never relaxed the limitation for 2-tuner Premieres once they updated the whole home setup to use dynamic tuner allocation, rather than dedicating tuners for Mini's.)

3. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    You are correct. I have a 2 tuner Premiere according to the model number. I always thought it had 4. Thanks for the help. I guess now I can sell the Mini with a good conscience that it was working with the Roamio when the Roamio was deactivated.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep, that'd do it. Disappointing but not altogether surprising that TiVo Support didn't get you sorted within a couple minutes.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Only reason to keep the Mini might be if you could be tempted, at some future point, to go for one of the "Lifetime transfer" promos, sacrificing the Premiere for a new All-In EDGE (for Antenna or for Cable, w/ the EDGE series lacking not just the simultaneous cable or OTA capability of the 2-tuner Premieres, but lacking any crossover tuning capability).

If selling the Mini, noting its OS version (20.* or 21.*) will be useful to the recipient, at least until TiVo gets the Mini downgrade issue sorted.