Tivo Mini w/ Wifi Adapter vs MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Belacyrf, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Belacyrf

Belacyrf New Member

Sep 4, 2019

Advertisements

Hopefully an easy question... I've been running the mini on MOCA for a bit now and we have problems all the time with it losing connection with the Tivo Bolt. When running connection diagnostics everything passes but then either we can't get the guide or TV Channels, or some weird thing happens. Usually takes a complete reset of both units.

Will the moving the Mini to a wireless adapter instead of MOCA be more reliable? Is it as sensitive to network changes as MOCA is?

Last question, is the video quality of the mini on wifi as good as MOCA? My wifi network is fairly robust supporting MU-MIMO and on AC we're seeing speeds of nearly 400Mbps.

thanks

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It normally depends on the router and what adapter you choose for the Mini. This is not an easy question. Wifi is not easy. I have two Mini A93 with wireless bridges and a Mini VOX using TiVo's adapter. It's an old house and not wireless friendly. While MoCA is usually the physical medium of choice it might be less expensive to troubleshoot further. It can be a bad connector, splitter or other wiring problem. Others can help with that. My one A93 is a floor and two rooms from the router. It runs 10 hours daily and doesn't have any issues. Its host is a basic Roamio.

Why are you changing your network? The picture quality does not depend on the connection methods. One HD channel may use (at most) 20MHz. Most use much less. The speed of your internet is not a factor no matter what the Mini connection method.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Belacyrf

Belacyrf New Member

Sep 4, 2019
    The network changes were necessary. Moving from Cable to Fiber... All I did was change the primary WAN, internal LAN didn't change YET for some reason My Tivo setup went crazy and I had to reset everything. Recently I added a firewall b/w the network switch and the router. This one DID change the internal network changing the IP network for connected devices. Once again, my mini will not connect to the bridge, though it will connect to Tivo and it says it has network access.

My wifi setup is fairly robust. I have 3 ceiling-mounted Ruckus r510 AP's central to every floor of the house. Basically, you can get full 5ghz signal from almost much every corner of the house. 2.4 is solid everywhere. My concern over quality was b/c I had read sometime in the past that wifi connectivity didn't support certain functionality (I forget which kind) so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the input, it sounds the $60 for the adapter might be a worthwhile test.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    (20 Mbps)

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Fixing the MoCA issue would be my suggestion.

edit: Tap if interested and would like any troubleshooting assistance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    JoeKustra likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ai least I got the caps right. :)

krkaufman likes this.
  7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    MoCA is usually rock solid. Are you using a MoCA PoE filter? If not, adding one might make a huge difference.