TiVo Mini vs. TiVo Stream vs. 4-tuner Roamio vs. Pro & Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mchips, May 26, 2015.

1. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    I've looked over the forums, and tivo.com, regarding the TiVo Mini and TiVo Stream, which only left me with more questions, so I'm hoping someone can help me piece all this together.

What would be the best solution to get my 4-tuner Roamio to have the same capabilities as my Roamio Pro & Plus, in streaming programs between them all via "Play" rather than the old multi-room transfer/delete, as well as outside the home via Tablet/Smartphone?

The easiest solution would be to just just replace the 4-tuner Roamio with another Pro or Plus, as it's all built-in to these, but I want to keep the 4-tuner Roamio for its OTA ability as backup for when cable is down, and still be able to stream programs between them all; that is, start in one room and finish in another, via "Play" rather than transfer/delete.

Currently, I can stream programs between my Roamio Pro and Plus, as well as stream from my 4-tuner Roamio to my Pro and Plus, but I cannot stream in the reverse, that is, from the Pro or Plus to the 4-tuner Roamio, I have to transfer/delete to the 4-tuner Roamio; i.e., I can stream from the 4-tuner Roamio to the others, just not to it.

Thus, would just getting one TiVo Mini allow me to stream from the Pro/Plus to the 4-tuner Roamio as well? And from looking at the install directions, would I just install it to any TV by itself, or does it have to be tied to the 4-tuner Roamio somehow, physically or through settings?

Plus, I am able to stream between the Pro and Plus without MoCa, via WiFi; my Pro is on Ethernet, the Plus and 4-tuner Roamio on WiFi. But I'm reading the Mini needs MoCa or Ethernet, no WiFi, so if I connect the Mini to an open HDMI on my TV in the living room and an Ethernet port on my router, while my 4-tuner is connected to a TV in my bedroom via WiFi, will this allow for program streaming in all directions between all three of my TiVo's? Or would I still have to create a MoCa network, I'm presuming thru the Pro? Or does the Mini somehow have to be physically connected to the 4-tuner Roamio? Would all TiVo's then have to either be MoCa or Ethernet? Currently I am able to stream between the Pro and Plus via WiFi.

Then, after all that is achieved... would I need to get a TiVo Stream in addition to the Mini in order to stream programs from my 4-tuner Roamio outside the home, as I can currently do with the Pro and Plus?

Thank you!

2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Simple answer is not to put shows on the 4 tuner Roamio that need to be streamed out. Let the others take that job and only watch on this Roamio. I don't see how a mini helps here. I guess the best solution if you must stream in both directions is to replace the 4 tune Roamio. But I'm sure the other units can handle all the streaming needed.

3. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Mobile streaming) You don't need a Tivo Stream at this point, it wouldn't add anything because you already have access to one built in.

Network) You might as well use MoCA. You already have the hardware and wiring. This is more reliable that Wifi. Except for the 4tuner which doesn't have the hardware built in. If you get that one on ethernet, go ahead and do that. Or you can get a MoCA bridge for it.

I'm not aware of such a limitation. Could you elaborate.

4. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    If I'm on either my 6-Tuner Pro or Plus, I can watch a program recorded on the 4-Tuner Roamio without having to transfer it, i.e., stream a program FROM the 4-Tuner to the other two, by just selecting "Play" instead of "Transfer."

However, if I'm on the 4-Tuner Roamio, if I select "Play", I get an error message that the network isn't fast enough. If network speed was the problem, then I'd think it shouldn't be able to stream in the other direction either, to the other two (that is, from the 4-Tuner to the Pro/Plus), while it can, which leads me to believe, the 4-Tuner Roamio can stream out but not in, which is why tivo.com states the Premier's and 4-Tuner Roamios need the Mini, while this piece is built-in to the Pro and Plus.

And with that, I think I've answered my own question. I need the Mini attached to the same TV as the 4-Tuner Roamio if I want to be able to watch programs from the other two TiVo's (the Pro and Plus) from the same TV as the 4-Tuner Roamio without having to transfer first, because the 4-Tuner Roamio cannot stream in, only out; hence I would never be able to watch them through the 4-Tuner Roamio unless I transfer them instead of stream.

I could then just always watch all programs through the Mini when I'm on the same TV as the 4-Tuner Roamio, that way I could seamlessly watch programs from all three TiVo's without switching inputs or transferring first.

In short, The Roamio Pro and Plus would not need a Mini, because they can stream both in and out, built-in.; while the 4-Tuner Roamio cannot stream in, only out, to a Mini or a Roamio Pro/Plus. Which is where the Mini comes in for the 4-Tuner Roamio, while it doesn't give the 4-Tuner Roamio the ability to stream in, it's what's needed to be able to stream programs to the same TV as the 4-Tuner may be connected to. You just have to watch it through the Mini instead of the 4-Tuner Roamio.

Hope I've made this clear, and if my conclusion isn't correct, maybe someone can clarify further.

Thank you!

5. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You should be able to stream from your Pro/Plus to your base Roamio. Although probably a futile exercise, contact TiVo tech support and see if they have a fix for you. Or if it's an option, try a different network connection on your Roamio (ethernet or MoCA). It appears that you either have an esoteric networking issue or an esoteric hardware issue.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You're kind of lucky streaming works at all with wifi. Tivo strongly recommends wired.

The Mini is its own Tivo box, it won't help streaming between other boxes. All it is, is a streaming box to itself. And it wants a wired connection also, just as the other boxes do.

Your Pro is already connected by ethernet, so turn on moca. The Plus can connect to that moca network. Then connect a moca adapter behind the 4-tuner box (assuming it's sharing the same home coax and not using its own OTA line) and it'll be wired too.

7. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Okay, what I'm hearing then, it's supposed to work on the base 4-tuner Roamio in both directions. I've tried WiFi and Ethernet, but neither work when trying to stream into the base Roamio, only out of. Neither the Plus or Pro have a problem, whether both are wired Ethernet or WiFi. I've tried swapping the boxes around among each other's locations, connected all to Ethernet, but the base Roamio will only stream in one direction, out to them. If the Pro and Plus work fine on my network, and the base model is supposed to have this ability, there must be something wrong with the base Roamio hardware, as it won't even work on Ethernet. It shouldn't require MoCa if we have access to Ethernet, especially since neither the Pro or Plus have any problems, even on WiFi. I guess I'll call TiVo tech. support then. Thanks...

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, all Roamios and Premieres can stream to/from each other as long as they're wired. Wireless is always "iffy".

But if the base box won't stream in one direction or another, regardless of connection, there's some other problem with that box.

9. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Thanks everyone! Now it makes sense why it wasn't making sense, but makes complete sense now... ;)

10. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Do you have the model numbers of the networking equipment you've been using?
    That's switches, routers, hubs, or Wifi AP's.

Edit:
    Btw, wireless can have different signal quality in each direction. I can't say that's what's happening in your case, but what you're describing could be explained by differences in up/down bandwidth which is not impossible.
    Semi-reference: https://arsenb.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/wi-fi-the-unobvious-and-overlooked-details-part-1/

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Check your online account to make sure Video Sharing is allowed for that Roamio.

12. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Thanks for all the help, but I finally got it working! :up: :up: :up:

The day before I posted this, I had moved the base Roamio into the same room as my router, only 2 ft. away, but it still would only stream out, not in. So, I then connected it directly to the router via Ethernet. It still would only stream out, but not in. So I then began to think maybe the base Roamio isn't supposed to be able to, so I posted this thread. After being informed it should work, I tried it again yesterday, and now it streams in both directions just fine. The only thing that had changed from the one day to the next is the base Roamio had been restarted and made a connection to the TiVo Service. Maybe it just needed some time after being switched from WiFi to Ethernet, don't know for sure, maybe coincidence, but now it works.

I even streamed a few programs to/from the Pro, which is connected via WiFi, and still no problems.

I will continue to watch it, and if it seems pretty stable via Ethernet, I may even try WiFi again... I understand how it's "iffy", considering the many diff. configurations and WiFi signal strength variations in each of our individual homes, but since my Pro/Plus have never had problems, even connected WiFi, I'll want to give the base Roamio another try... we'll see; and if necessary, I may even try MoCa.

But, for now, the base and Plus are Ethernet, my Pro is WiFi, and I've been able to stream programs between all three boxes, in all directions, with no further problems.

Thanks again, much appreciated! :)