TiVo Mini Vox Power Adapter Specs

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Agent86, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Agent86

Agent86 Registered Lurker

Jan 18, 2002

Advertisements

My A93 TiVo Mini got caught in the power up loop before the "Welcome" screen. TiVo replaced it for $40 with a "new" Mini. What they actually sent me though was a factory renewed Mini Vox without accessories - including the AC power adapter.

Looking at the back of the Mini Vox, the plug is labelled 12VDC 1.5A. Looking at the power adapter for my A93 Mini, it outputs 12VDC at 1.0A. Seems we have a mismatch!

Can someone look at the AC adapter for their Mini Vox and tell me what the output specs are for it? If it is the same 12VDC at 1.0A that my current adapter puts out then I'll just go ahead and use it. But if the adapter that ships with the Vox actually outputs 1.5A, then I'll go back and insist they send me one.

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It's 1.5A. Here's a picture of the power adapter label.

Attached Files:

3. Agent86

Agent86 Registered Lurker

Jan 18, 2002
    Glad I checked - looks like TiVo is getting a phone call on Monday! :smiley:

Thank you kind sir!

4. bjarmon

bjarmon New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    How did that call go? I think I'm going to be in the same situation. My 9300 mini just failed as well (green screen loop) and was offered the $39 Vox. No mention of being renewed or lacking accessories, but the shipping info sent to me via email stated TiVo-renewed Mini VOX w/o accy in the Item Description field.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

You can expect to receive the same "VOX only" shipment, as this is the same thing I experienced this week. After doing 2 replacements a month+ ago, and receiving seemingly new Mini VOX units as replacments, my third $40 replacement issued within the last week or so was marked as you describe, and I received just a generic white box with only a Mini VOX in the box (no power adapter, no remote, no cables, no quick start, etc.).

On the bright side, I was able to use another Mini VOX power adapter and remote I have on hand to get this new refurb online and tested, so now I just have to contact Tivo to get the proper power adapter. (I may try for a VOX Remote, as well, but won't push it, since I have a spare VOX Remote and this *is* a discounted replacement for a dead Mini v2.)

6. bjarmon

bjarmon New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Spoke with support today and was told that due to only the box being faulty that they only send a replacement box (even though this was actually a different box than what I had). The support tech assured me that the remote and power supply from the older mini would work with the newer device. I didn't get any further when questioning amperage needs for the new device, other than, "please try it with the old accessories and call us back if you experience any issues.". I'm sure it will power up and potentially function for a good amount of time before needing something CPU intensive that draws the excess power causing device instability. By then I'm sure whatever warranty was offered on this replacement device will be up and I'll have to pay out of pocket for a new power adapter. Something seems amiss here.

7. bjarmon

bjarmon New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    No luck with TiVo as of yet, but did find out that they sell the OEM power adapter for $6.99 on their site, however they want over $9 for shipping (cheapest option) which seems like highway robbery. For as much business as they do with shipping through carriers it looks like they are definitely lining their pockets with the shipping charge. Can't seem to find an OEM charger with free shipping for less that $10. Anyone have a free shipping promo code for TiVo.com?

krkaufman likes this.
  8. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Amazon has a bunch of what seem to be compatible adapters. I can't be sure because I don't know what the power input on the Mini VOX looks like. They sell two for $14 with free shipping fro Prime members:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JLUUMY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A38ZT5SX6TTZ4E&psc=1

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    fwiw...