TiVo Mini VOX on TE3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dougtv, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently have a 9300 Mini in our master bedroom. I never bother with streaming apps with TiVo because it's the obvious unreliable option with older Minis and Roamio Pro running on TE3 especially. I have always accepted to use TiVo (because I like TE3 and I am happy with our Roamio) just for Cable TV and use Apple/FireTV devices for our streaming.

I was wondering (two questions), if I upgrade to a newer Mini VOX, will it pair with Roamio on TE3 and use the TE3 interface? I understand voice search won't work and other TE4 features, but will a newer Mini VOX be capable of running TE3?

Second question, if Mini VOX will work on TE3, do the streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc) will run better on a Mini VOX TE3 than they currently do on an older 9300/9200 Mini?

I am assuming all the "Processing" and bandwidth handling for streaming is done on the Mini alone and never has to communicate to the Roamio to process any streaming or app requests. That it only talks to a HUB tivo for Recorded Shows, Guide syncing, and Live TV and other minor settings config syncs.

So would a TE3 mini Vox handle Streaming Apps better than my old Roamio or existing minis? I am basically looking to upgrade our bedroom TiVo Mini and it would be nice to eliminate our existing AppleTV so we can move it into the guest room. Would be nice to have only a newer Tivo mini in our bedroom since the only streaming apps we use on that AppleTV is Netflix and Hulu.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A95 Mini will work with TE3. It may not pair. Voice will NOT work. Streaming goes from Mini to router so it will be better.

3. regor101

regor101 New Member

May 5, 2012
    NJ (Phila...
    Joe, when you say "It may not pair." Do you mean the RF side of the remote?

I'm asking, because today, I just replaced my ailing 9300 with a 9500 and can't get the RF side of the remote to pair, and came here to find out if there was a way to get it to work. Unlike dougtv, I'm paired a bolt.

4. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    Actually I think it would make sense if it could not pair RF since the intention of the VOX and Bolt (moving forward) was BT for the VOX remotes etc.

If that's the case, then hopefully the USB adapter that came with Slides would still work for RF remotes?

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I don't know and I can't test it.

A few weeks ago I bought a new remote for my main Roamio. It's new, has a funny green triangle above Mute, but wouldn't pair. I cleared the remote: no effect. Then I cleared the Roamio (TE3) and was then able to pair the remote.
    1. Press TiVo + Red C until the activity light flashes red.
    2. Now press any button and confirm that the activity light flashes red with each button press (it should no longer flash amber).
    3. Press the Live TV button.
    4. Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear. (This will send a signal to clear any RF pairings on the DVR which puts it on New Pairing Mode. WARNING! If there are other TiVo DVR in range, you have to power them off in order to avoid inadvertent remote unpairing.
    5. Hold down TiVo + Back on the remote until the activity light flashes amber (the remote is now ready to pair with the DVR).
    6. Now press any button on the remote and confirm that the activity light flashes amber with each button press.
    The remote is now paired in RF mode with the DVR. You will need to pair the TV, AVR, etc.

I have TE4 also. I was never able to pair a VOX remote to a TE3 system.

6. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    I think Roamio you need the Vox dongle for the remote to work (TE3 as well) but I'm pretty sure the VOX remote works if it has a dongle for 90% its buttons, the only BT is voice search specifically from my understanding but I could be wrong I just remember needing a USB dongle for VOX remotes on TE3 mini or Roamio.

I know 9200 Mini you need RF dongle for any RF remote but the 9300 you don't need RF dongle just a dongle for VOX remotes.

My confusion was if the current 4K mini supported RF remotes *at all* or if it was 100% Vox remote support only whether TE3 or TE4.

TiVo instructions state: "The TiVo LUX Remoteā„¢ supports IR and RF mode on devices running TiVo Experience 4 but RF mode is not supported on devices running TiVo Experience 3 user interface. You can still use the TiVo LUX remote on devices with TiVo Experience 3 in IR mode." I dunno if this applies to all VOX or just the LUX tho but starting to make more sense

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Only TE4 supports voice. I have a Roamio with a dongle and VOX remote using TE4. It has a Mini VOX slave.

I have two TE3 Roamio boxes as hosts for A93 Mini. I was never able to pair a VOX remote to a A93 Mini with TE4. I didn't try very hard.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Should that say TE3? (And I assume the BLE dongle was involved.)

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This was a while ago. I wanted the A93 but didn't have an VOX remote. There was no thought to try a dongle on the Mini. I ended up buying an A95 Mini and VOX remote.

krkaufman likes this.