Tivo Mini Vox Connection Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aztecfury, Nov 4, 2019.

1. aztecfury

aztecfury New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I have a Tivo Mini Vox connected to a Tivo Bolt that is dropping connection constantly. My setup is as follows:

Mini connected to Moca network.
    Tivo bridge connected to router.
    Splitter between router and TiVo bridge.
    Bolt connected to router via WiFi.
    Bolt has antenna attached for OTA programming.

I had tried to connect the Bolt to the Moca network by splitting the antenna and the Moca coax in, but had bad antenna reception.

My questions are:
    1. Can this setup work, with the Mini talking to the Bolt over Moca>Router>WiFi?
    2. Is there a better way to have the Bolt connected to both antenna and Moca network?

I am using splitters rated for Moca communication.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Wifi does not have the bandwidth needed for the Mini. Only ethernet cable or MoCa.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Don't tell my three Mini boxes that use wireless bridges. I have used all three on one bridge just to see if my router could handle it. No problem.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. aztecfury

aztecfury New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Interesting...I may try to repurpose an old router as a bridge and see if this works for me. I've never understood why we need a MoCa or Ethernet connection to stream video content between TiVo boxes when WiFi works fine for streaming from the web. Are the TiVo boxes streaming uncompressed video?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. The heart of a wireless system is the router. If you have some 10-year old router with no antenna and only 801.11n, then go with MoCA. I allocate 20MHz per Mini. I can stream Prime or YouTube all day to my A93 or A95 Mini from a basic Roamio. My main TiVo is a basic Roamio feeding a TP-Link RE850D to a Netgear R8300 on a lower floor. BUT this is not my best system. It's just the one I'm using now. I had better power with an R8000 to an EX7000. But it was ugly. And I like to buy new toys. Router as a bridge? I use RE6500, DAP-1650, WUMC710 and one or two others. I have never gone the mesh route which is what my cable company uses, along with a TiVo from Arris option.

I never suggest wireless. I suggest MoCA, with Ethernet a close second. But no matter the choice, the router is where you start.