TiVo Mini VOX Best Buy

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drober30, Nov 22, 2018.

1. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    $129! Just grabbed two!

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    In-store, I assume? Seems like an unadvertised special (I didn't see it listed in the BB BF ad, unless I missed it), and showing at $180 on-line.

Many available--or did you camp at BB overnight? ;)

3. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I was lucky enough to get a refurb mini vox from Tivo on the "mistake" sale a week ago for $130
    It has a new remote, hdmi cable and power supply..... and a Mini with all the protective wrap on it.... Other than being in a "white" packing box (and ID label)..... There is no way to tell it was a refurb vs new.
    I am very happy with my purchase (like I am with my refurb Roamio plus).

That is a great Best Buy Deal though!!

4. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Great price... thanks for the information!

5. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes, it was in store. I walked right in at 6:00pm(doors opened at 5:00pm) It’s safe to say nobody was even looking for TiVo Minis, especially since they weren’t advertised.

Someone on here mentioned there would be an unadvertised in store special on them Black Friday so I went Best Buy just for these.

I was shocked to see $129 as TiVo is only offering a $20 discount.

But it worked for Best Buy because I threw a 65” Samsung QLED in my basket too!...lol

aaronwt and Mikeguy like this.
  6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I purchased one for $129 too. I think best buy is open until 1AM tonight.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sadly, our lone Best Buy closed in 2016.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And a third one who purchased a Mini VOX at BB this evening. :cool:

Walked in, searched and of course couldn't find it, and after asking a couple of sales guys, finally found the area, with nothing there on the bottom shelf of the merchandise rack where it would have been (only 2 Bolt VOX boxes there); asked another sales guy if they had any, and he scrounged around and found one almost hidden at the back corner of the area, which I had missed.

The only pseudo-glitch: I asked the price, the sales guy looked it up, and he then told me $179.98. Ulp. I told him that I had heard that there was an unadvertised sale on the Mini, and he went off to check. In the meanwhile, I found a merchandise tag on the shelf and, lo and behold, it noted the price at $129.99--not a sale price, mind you, that was just the "normal" price listed on the label. And fortunately, the Mini rang up at that price.

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of an unadvertised and almost hidden sale on an item. Even the shelf label didn't note that this was a special deal and price, calling attention to that, or what the regular price is. I guess this was a special deal for TiVo's friends-in-the-know (or who bumped into the deal). :)

@drober30, thanks for posting here that you had gotten the deal today. When I hadn't seen it in the BB BF ad, I assumed that it would be in a Friday or Saturday ad (the BB initial ad said that more deals would be coming on Friday and Saturday) and thought that I would go over then if I didn't see the Mini in a sales ad before then, after the crazy BB Thursday sale was over (people here had been lined up around the building).

I don't know how long this pricing will last, but for whatever it's worth, other BB stores in my area show inventory. (No one really knowing that there is a special price probably helps, lol.)

Now to see if the little box works for me. ;)

9. js90

js90 New Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Another $129 purchased at Best Buy on Black Friday. I was there as the store opened. They had 3 on the shelf. Before going to the store, I confirmed that I could buy it online and pick it up in store today. I figured that at least gave me a sense that it was in stock at the store. Best Buy online still showed $179. So it does seem to be an in-store special.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    These work with a pre-Vox Bolt as the host, right? I know they won't do voice, just looking for the 4k.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    All Minis work with any 4- or 6-tuner TiVo DVR.

Voice control is only available if the host DVR (and the Mini, as a consequence) is running TE4. Note that the host DVR doesn’t need to have a VOX Remote paired for the TE4’d Mini to gain voice control; the Mini would just need TE4 and a paired VOX Remote*.

* Note: Roamios and older v1/v2 Minis require the VOX USB (Bluetooth/BLE) dongle for pairing with a VOX Remote.​

As for 4K, it was recently posted that HDR updates may only be available to those running TE4.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  12. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    aaronwt, Mikeguy, jfalkingham and 2 others like this.
  13. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    aaronwt and jfalkingham like this.
  14. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Hmmmm....So this Mini Vox will work with my Roamio Pro even though I don't have it updated to Hydra? No matter what, I do not want the Hydra interface and don't want something new to screw that up.

15. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Just FYI I checked out my local Best Buy, around noon they had one of those Mini Voxes for $129. Didn't buy it as I don't need one but there may still be some out there (store only I think). They still had plenty of those 10TB EasyStores (WD 10TB red inside) too, $179 plus tax, bit over $190 for me. I did get one of those. I think they still have them online too, at least they did early this morning (nice for someone who would not have to pay sales tax)

krkaufman likes this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, correct.

p.s. See the following thread if you were looking to have a consistent remote experience across boxes: Mini VOX, TE3, and RF Remote fails

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  17. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    It won't. Mini's go to whatever software version is on the main box. The initial setup will take a little longer since it needs to download the software, but then it'll be TE3/Encore like everything else.

18. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Thanks for the feedback. I just picked up 2 from my local Best Buy. Seems to be a very good deal. I need to see though if they are really that much better and more capable than a couple of my existing IR mini's that they would be replacing.

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Water resistant. Bad with fingerprints. :)

dmk1974 likes this.
  20. Sparky19053

Sparky19053 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Lower Bucks PA
    My feelings exactly $15.00 verse a trip to Best Buy is a no brainier for me. I ordered one from Amazon. Still running TE 3 and have o plans on updating anytime soon.