tivo mini vox as main box in living room?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by celtic pride, Feb 9, 2019.

1. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Anyone here use a tivo 4k vox mini as your main viewing box in the living room and your tivo roamio pro dvr in the bedroom?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Possible difference makers:
    • better channel surfing on DVR
    • DVR is noisier

3. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I see, i am thinking of using the mini because of the 4k for netflix ,my tivo pro dvr only does hd. so i was curios if anyone else was doing this. the dvr noise doesnt bother me in bedroom but i do a lot of channel surfing.

4. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    If you channel surf you won't like it, especially if you watch more than one tuner at a time. There will also be times no tuner is available without canceling a recording.

Go ahead and try, the worse that can happen is you don't like it and switch back.

5. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    tempted to try this ,but the more i think about it,I think i might just get a bolt vox dvr because i do a lot of surfing and recording.

6. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Hmmmm ... interesting idea. I did something similar ... I wanted modular and compartmentalized so I ended up with a Roamia OTA, then added a 6 tuner bolt (the idea being to minimize the guide service overhead) ... I then added 2 Tivo Mini's to the bedrooms. As I see it, this gives me fairly low recurring cost (only one guide service), light room Tivo service (with 4 tuners for ongoing records) and a surplus of local channels with local redundancy ... should the cable go out. Note that I am running this at 1080p 60 due to the distance from the tvs involved (not to mention lower bandwidth).

7. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    I am using a roamio as a headless unit because its HDMI port is broken and a mini vox in the bedroom, which is where we watch most tv. My wife loves it because the apps are much faster. Other than that we see no difference. I also have a bolt and I see no difference between using the bolt and roamio as a host. I have a pretty good network so YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk