TiVo Mini VOX/4K reviews and comments thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Mikeguy, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Oct 28, 2017 #1 of 139
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

On this the eve of the TiVo Mini VOX/4K, I thought that it might make sense to establish a separate thread where users' reviews and comments on the new Mini could be consolidated. Feel free to use this thread for that purpose.

I separately have put up a TiVo Hydra/Gen4 User Interface reviews and comments thread and a TiVo VOX/voice remote control reviews and comments thread (both under the TiVo Coffeehouse - TiVo Discussion sub-forum), to try to make it easier for people to find what they might be looking for. Feel free to use those threads as well.

Exciting times!

2. Oct 28, 2017 #2 of 139
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    188E450C-E173-4119-925B-43104CE45F64.jpeg Taken from my post on the other thread: the voice control does not work.

3. Oct 29, 2017 #3 of 139
    Mike5454

Mike5454 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    MA
    Just installed TiVo mini with the Vox. Software loaded but continually crashes to a black screen or a screen with a right pointing arrow. I have two bolts that are the older version of the software is not uploaded on them yet. I ordered two vox remotes. Those haven’t arrived yet. Right now I have a TiVo mini on a black screen but is not doing anything and will not stay loaded

4. Oct 29, 2017 #4 of 139
    preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Just to confirm, I have a Tivo Bolt+, I have a Mini Vox arriving on Tuesday and a couple 2nd gen Tivo Minis. Once I upgrade the Bolt+ to Hydra, everything else should upgrade automatically and (hopefully) work normally, right?

5. Oct 29, 2017 #5 of 139
    BryanSD

BryanSD New Member

Aug 16, 2015

Advertisements

My understanding is that you'll need to update your DVR (Bolt/Roamio) before you update the Mini. Some details here (but doen't explain why your screen would be blank): Tivo Vox boxes launch/available October 29th

6. Oct 29, 2017 #6 of 139
    High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    I would suggest disconnecting the cable line (assuming you are using MOCA) or the Ethernet wire, unplugging the power from the Mini and plugging it back in. Let it fully boot up (and because I am old school, give it a few minutes to stabilize/finish doing it's thing for a bit) before reconnecting the cable/ethernet cord. Then give it a few minutes to reconnect to the network -- if it doesn't reconnect after a few minutes, do a regular reboot or disconnect the power for 5 seconds (do not disconnect any other cables this time).

I had a similar experience and resolved it this way when I tried to connect a Mini Vox to a Premiere XL4 -- since it failed, I decided to forgo the downgrade and resolved the black screen / white arrow by doing the above.

7. Oct 29, 2017 #7 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am experiencing a similar issue and have tried disconnecting the network cable and rebooting, but to no avail. It appears it is not connecting to the TIVO server - shows up as last connect June 12, 2017. If I try to force a connection, as soon as the download starts, about 2%, I get the grey arrow, and then the screen goes black. I am going to let it sit for an hour - hopefully it is downloading - before I try rebooting again.

8. Oct 29, 2017 #8 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Update - I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then restarted. It came up, and when I clicked Live TV button on the remote, I got a white error box - Error V66 - Cable Card needed! On a mini!. I rebooted again, and now all I get is a blue error across the screen - it won't respond to any buttons on the remote.

9. Oct 29, 2017 #9 of 139
    High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Just to clarify, do you have a host TiVo that is already on Hydra? You need that first, as the Mini needs something to connect to that is already on Hydra.

Assuming you already have a host TiVo with Hydra already on it, pull all of the cables again, then plug back in only the power and HDMI (not the cable / ethernet) and see what happens. If it comes back up, plug in the cable/ethernet and give it some time, and try what I suggested in the previous post.

If that doesn't bring it back, unplug again and this time plug all of the wires back in (including the network) and see what happens. Once you get back to the main menu go into Settings, and select a Host DVR that is your Hydra DVR. Even if you are already set to connect to that box, select it again.

If that error 66 comes up again, try going to the GUIDE and then picking a channel. If that doesn't solve the issue, try to enter a channel directly (one that you know you get).

10. Oct 29, 2017 #10 of 139
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm surprised it wasn't error V666. :eek:

11. Oct 29, 2017 #11 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    When I activated the mini, I received an email that said I needed to force a connection twice, supposedly to update the software, correct? The version of software I have on the host DVR is 20.7.4.RC2 Isn't that what I need?

12. Oct 29, 2017 #12 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have tried both scenarios that you suggest. I cannot get to a guide to select a channel - I get the BLUE ARROW screen right away

13. Oct 29, 2017 #13 of 139
    High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    No, 20.7.xx is not Hydra -- that's the Quattro interface. I believe the Hydra builds are 21.7.xx

What Mini do you have? The one that has been out for a couple of years, or the new Mini Vox with the voice remote? If you have the Mini Vox and are not planning on updating the host DVR to Hydra, then I THINK the Mini Vox can downgrade to the prior software, but the voice functionality won't work (since Hydra is needed to use the voice functionality and the host DVR and the Mini must be on the same version).

14. Oct 29, 2017 #14 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Okay, that's the issue then. The host has 20.7. I am surprised the product was even able to begin setup if that was the case. The only way I see how to upgrade to Hydra is to submit a form on TIVO.com and wait 48 hours

15. Oct 29, 2017 #15 of 139
    High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    If you want Hydra, yes. I think there is a link in the Coffee House, and people are getting it pushed pretty quickly (like an hour or two), but I haven't been following that thread.

16. Oct 29, 2017 #16 of 139
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    You can submit the TSN to Tivo, it hasn't taken more than 30 mins to an hour if you do a manual connection after submitting.

17. Oct 29, 2017 #17 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I will try that then. Thanks

18. Oct 29, 2017 #18 of 139
    CharlieC

CharlieC Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It looks like it may have been as simple as that. The update went thru, I rebooted the Mini box (the new VOX one) and it appears to be working properly. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

19. Oct 29, 2017 #19 of 139
    High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Cool, enjoy it. The voice functionality (what little I've used of it) is pretty cool. It seems to understand words far faster than my iPhone 6S does, and the accuracy makes Siri look daft.

I'm currently watching an episode of Madam Secretary on another box. I walked out to the kitchen to get a drink and picked up the voice remote and from LiveTV I asked "What shows was Tea Leone in", and then separately asked it "What movies was Tea Leone in". It got both perfectly, so I think (I didn't know she was in some much).

I then asked it to find movies with Han Solo -- which it transcribed as HANS SOLO, but it found all of the Star Wars movies (including the animated ones which have a Han Solo character).

Thinking about Harrison Ford, I asked it if Apocalypse Now is on (I didn't know if it was airing anytime soon, I just always remember a young Harrison Ford as a corporal at the beginning of that movie) -- it pulled up a option to record it on EPIX.

All pretty darn cool - I think I am going to need to buy one of these remotes for one of my Bolt(s) just to play with, even though I am a universal remote user. Heck, since the Mini Vox is in the kitchen, I might just steal the remote and use a Bolt remote in there since I'm not using the Bolt remotes.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. Oct 30, 2017 #20 of 139
    Nak

Nak Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    I had the same black screen issue. After hours of reboots, etc. I finally got a message allowing me to downgrade the mini software. (I did not want to go with hydra because of the loss of PC-->Tivo video transfers.) Anyways, I finally got it working with the old interface. I have only 3 apps, Youtube, Pandora and Netflix. Nothing else; no Amazon or xfinity or Plex or anything else is available; no option to manage apps exists. Other than that it seems to work well. Netflix and Pandora seem to be just as snappy as with my bolts. My older slide remote with a USB dongle works fine with the Mini Vox. I can not initiate PC-->Tivo transfers with the mini, but after initiating the transfer on the DVR itself, I can stream the show while it is still transferring.