Tivo Mini through a network switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JBB1972, Nov 23, 2015.

1. JBB1972

JBB1972 New Member

Nov 23, 2015

Advertisements

All of the ports are filled on my network router. I have attached a network switch for expansion purposes but my new Tivo Mini won't connect through the switch to the Tivo Roamio Pro. I've seen some threads that relate to this but never any specific instructions. Any help would be great.

As a side note: I spoke to Tivo support about this and even got to speak with a supervisor and got absolutely nowhere. My initial thought is that Tivo's engineering team needs to get this resolved. Instead of forcing the Tivo Mini to broadcast across all ports to find the Tivo Roamio, it should allow during the setup of the Mini to input the actual IP Address or Name of the Tivo Roamio master. Broadcasting across all open ports on the Network Router (essentially a network hub) is a pretty lazily contrived solution in my opinion. :thumbsdown:

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Tivo does not support the use of switches, which to me is ridiculous in this day and age, but that is their position. Anyway, a couple things to try, if the Roamio is now connected via the router, move it to the switch. Check your router and if the Tivos show up, try assigning a fixed/ static IP to each of them. Reboot everything, but it still no luck, consider getting a different brand of switch. If it comes to that, go for the 8 way and connect everything but the one port into that switch. Good luck

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo doesn't support troubleshooting with a switch, it's their prerogative to do so, that being said they work just fine on a switch so the issue may be related to the particular switch you have, if it's a "eco" or "green" switch that can be the core issue, myself I prefer the Netgear GS108's for the house and they've always worked.

4. cjgadd3

cjgadd3 Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I have my Mini connected to a Roamio plus through a Netgear FS105NA 5 port switch with no problems.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

They have to engineer this stuff to work for people who can't tell an IP address from the Gettysburg Address.

6. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    TP-Link switches work as good as Netgear for cheaper.

Stay away from Dlink or Belkin networking stuff.

7. duckman2000

duckman2000 New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Have the wireless router and an 8-port Linksys switch connected to one of the router ports. All the Tivo units (2 Roamios and 3 Mini's and a Stream) are on the separate 8-port switch with assigned static IPs of 192.168.10.20x and everything works fine. I can even turn off the router (leaving the 8-port switch on) and everything still works (of course no outside connection with the router turned off)...

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I haven't had any issues with Dlink green 5-port/8-port switches (3 of them all bought used) except for one power brick which I replaced.

A long time ago, I had a Dlink wireless access point which I preferred to the Netgear as it had better logging.

Scott

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    "192.168.1.1" - A. Lincoln, 1863

10. ferrumpneuma

ferrumpneuma fading fast

Jun 1, 2006
    Anhedonia
    Just do the initial setup with the Roamio and Mini on the same router then move the mini to wherever you want on your network.

11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Wow, just WOW. I can't help but wonder how many switches are involved in the path between TiVo servers and customers homes, when the TiVo phones home for an update, or when streaming from Netflix.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I don't think you understand the switch issue.

13. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Perhaps I don't. I'd appreciate a brief description. I do understand the differences between hubs, switches and routers (less so for details of WiFi). I'm also aware of issues that have been attributed to "green" switches. It this something else?

I think I do understand the extent to which TiVo CSRs sometimes blither ;)

14. andyman58

andyman58 New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Midwest
    All 3 of my Minis are attached to a "Green" switch for over a year now with no issues. Roamio is hooked up to the router.

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    While the router/gateway is a bit fancy, all my TiVo's and Mini's are behind switches and I use D-link because it is among less expensive available, and everything works PERFECTLY. As stated, TiVo just does not support troubleshooting with switches. TiVo always recommends MoCA simply because TiVo does not know how good or bad your LAN may be, so MoCA would be, in most cases, be exclusive to your TiVo devices.

16. goodday

goodday New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    This does not work. I have having the same issues as OP and have connected Minis via router then put them back in the switch. They work through the switch for a few hours, then go back to not finding the DVR.

17. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    One of the bedroom Minis I have runs through 3 Netgear gigabit switches and it works fine.

All of my Tivos and Minis run through at least 2 Netgear switches and I don't have any issues.

18. goodday

goodday New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Can people share the specific gigabit switches and the model number that work (5-8 ports)? It may be quicker to try a model that works and run a switch just for Tivos. Thank you.

19. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use 4 different ones, all Netgear...

I have 2 GS108
    2 GS105
    1 GS608
    1 FS105

My 2 Roamios and 2 minis all go through the GS608 first, then...

My Roamio Plus goes through a GS105.
    My Roamio Basic goes through a GS108 and then through the FS105.
    Mini 1 goes through a GS108 and then another GS108
    Mini 2 goes through a GS108

So all 2 of my Tivos go through 2 switches and 2 go through 3 switches.

I think to date, the minis have lost connection maybe twice and that was due to my router going down and it not picking the router connection back up when it rebooted.

20. goodday

goodday New Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Chuck - Thank you!:eek: Are you running Cat6 for your network? I noticed another poster at a different forum that had a new Cat6 network like mine that was having the same issue as OP.