Tivo Mini stuttering issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by NatasNJ, Apr 11, 2018.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

Tonight after months of a setup that has been working fine I started getting major sound and picture stuttering on my tivo mini. I tried power cycling my router and both tivos. Still having issues on all live or tivo recorded shows. I am able to stream Netflix fine though. Any ideas? My hard drive possibly going? My roamio was working fine all night so not sure why I am only seeing this on the mini.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You rebooted the tivos and router, but not the Mini?

3. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I have two tivos. A tivo roamio and a single tivo mini. Both have been rebooted.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good news... if the host DVR is playing everything fine, then it's not a hard drive issue.

I'd start by trying a full power reset -- distinct from rebooting or just cycling power on each individual device. See this post:

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

A 4-tuner Roamio, or a Roamio Plus|Pro?

And what software version are these boxes running?

And how are the TiVo boxes networked, via Ethernet (distinct from Powerline), MoCA, wireless or Powerline?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How are they connected? ethernet and/or MoCa, I hope.

Did you cold boot everything?

7. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    4 tuner roamio.

The tivo mini is running 20.7.4.RC29....

The connection type is ethernet. I have my roamio connected ethernet into my router. I then have a sonos speaker connected to same router which is chained to tivo mini. This has been working with no issues for the past 6 months uh until tonight.

8. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I did a system restart on tivo mini and did a power cycle by pulling power on router and tivo roamio.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you have everything powered-off at the same time, for a few minutes, including the Sonos speaker? (It doesn't sound like you performed the full power reset, as suggested/detailed.)

Speaking of the Sonos speaker...
    How does the Sonos speaker connect to the router, also via Ethernet or wireless? What's the model number of the Sonos speaker? Can the Mini be wired directly to the router via Ethernet?

Also, what brand & model # is your router?

10. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Sonos is connected via ethernet. It has two ports in back so you can pass through an ethernet connection. It is a play 5 older model.

The router is the Verizon Fios modem/router combo unit. I don't know model of top of my head.

I will try powering everything down tonight. I never power cycled the speaker. Didnt think of that. Though I tried TV this morning and still have same issue. Works for about 10 seconds then the sound starts to cut out every few seconds then the picture starts to stutter. Making it unwatchable.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    So just tried a quick test. Bypassed the sonos speaker and it is working fine now. Will try power cycling sonos speaker later and see if old setup works again. If not I used to have a router split my ethernet into my tivo mino and sonos that I can use instead of the sonos speaker.

Weird the sonos speaker would just now get funky.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It happens. Devices can just get confused, if a firmware update wasn't the root cause.

A simple Ethernet switch can substitute, if the power cycle doesn't correct the issue.