Tivo Mini stuck in reboot loop

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chad73, Mar 27, 2018.

1. chad73

chad73 Tivoaholic Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Anderson, S.C.
    One of my Tivo mini's is constantly rebooting.. It is running Hydra. Have there been any recent updates that might have caused this? Anyone know a fix? Unplugging it didn't help.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had this happen once. The Mini never recovered. It just shows the logo for a minute, goes blank for a minute, then resets and does it again.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Try moving it to the other location, could bethe power cord. May help, may not.

4. Apr 1, 2018 #4 of 18
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    If you try a good power adapter and boot loops, you have one from a bad batch of mini 2's. If you call support and it's out of warranty, they will replace it for a discontinued price.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Running into the same issue with my Mini (TCDA93000). It's three years old this month. It’s connected to a Bolt Plus and a Premiere XL via MoCA. Until a few weeks ago it’s been flawless.

A few weeks ago when I'd FF it would suddenly reboot now and then. Recently I'd turn the TV on and it would reboot then work normally.

Today I turned the TV on and it displayed the “Welcome!” guided setup screen. I ran it through the setup process and it ends with the network connection screen, going through each step and at the “Verifying” stage it displays a caution icon and “Could not verify info”. Pressing select for more information takes it to the “Connection Problem” screen with the message “Your TiVo box can’t complete guided setup. (S308). I clicked on “Try connecting again now” and it went back through the “Getting Setup Info” once more.

On very the last reboot it temporarily flashed the “The TiVo Box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it“ green screen. That only lasted about a minute and it went back to the Guided Setup again resulting in the same “Could not verify info” on the last step of the Getting Setup Info. In my two-decades of TiVo experience the green screen (of death/kickstart) generally meant a failing HDD. Of course in the Mini's case, there's no HDD.

I’ve checked the connections, replaced the COAX and replaced the HDMI cable. Rebooted the Actiontec MoCA. Rebooted both TiVos.

Finally I substituted it for the Premiere which has an Ethernet connection and that resulted in the same “Verifying” error OR it never finishes that stage, reboots and goes back to the Guided Setup Screen.

Nothing’s changed with respect to my ISP, network, etc. I haven't called TiVo yet.

Time for a new Mini? Will TiVo swap it for a price? Thoughts?

TIA!

6. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yours seems to get the the network screen so maybe its not dead. If the premier does the same thing, try a factory reset of your gateway/router or try another one.

Also see if you got the new firmware where it asks you what moca channel you want to use. Try "automatic" and reboot, if it fails use the first default channel, I think its 12.

richsadams likes this.
  7. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Hey foghorn, thanks for that. Should have been more clear...just "substituted" the Mini for the Premiere to connect it directly via Ethernet to see if it was a network thing or if the Mini itself was the real issue. (The Premiere works fine). Turns out it was the Mini. It was in a continual reboot loop...no way to get to the network settings, etc.

Just got off of the phone with TiVo and after they understood that the Mini had experienced the GSOD (2x) they offered to exchange it.

A very nice CSR named Shelia put me on hold for a couple of minutes and when she came back she said that normally it would be $79 but since we had had a TiVo account since 2002 they would exchange it for $39. Woo hoo!

I'll post back with an update regarding the "new" Mini should there be any issues. If it lasts another three years, money well-spent I guess.

Cheers!

foghorn2 likes this.
  8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So probably a flash memory failure?

Scott

9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    With TiVo it is always a disk or power supply :) Even if there is no disk.

10. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Initially it was just the odd reboot, sometimes in the middle of a show, sometimes during FF or switching menus. Then it got progressively worse and worse until the reboot loop and a couple of GSOD. Guess we'll never know. ;)

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Heat related probably. They're not very well designed to dissipate heat.

12. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Hi Dan...long time no see!

That's possible. Although it was sitting out on an open wooden shelf with nothing around it, it always felt warm to the touch.

Cheers!

Rich

13. MitchV

MitchV New Member

May 26, 2009
    I had the same issue... I did some trouble-shooting and swapped connections with a second Tivo-Mini. I thought my unit was done.

I noticed a little reset looking button on the bottom and held it down as I inserted the power connector... I held it down for a good 30 seconds and voila!! It began booting without cycling.

Perhaps that was the trick or maybe I just got lucky. In any event, my TiVo mini is no longer cycling. Good luck to anyone else who finds this!

14. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    One of my TCDA93000's just suffered the same fate. Naturally, and seemingly as always, it happened while I was traveling out of town and I have to listen to my better half about something not working...ugh.

PS: The button on the bottom, seems to be for cycling through the various output resolutions.

15. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Mikeguy likes this.
  16. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    I was offered $39 for a swap, but only after saying $79 was too much. I declined and asked about the TiVo Mini Vox instead - transferred to sales and the best they could do was $160 for a refurb. Give the preroll crap, and how slow the mini 2s are...I'll pass. I'd rather put that money towards a Roku.

17. Nick Link

Nick Link New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Adding in another recent update:
    I had the same rebooting issue, and the green screen of death, called Tivo and they tried to sell the replacement Mini for $79, but eventually offered $39. (btw, I bought the Mini in March 2015, it died in November 2019)

18. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    I'm guessing these failures are the result of the soldered-on flash chips going bad, but that's just speculation. Has anyone bothered to try to troubleshoot these?