Tivo Mini "Startup Loop of Death"

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by MannyE, Jul 19, 2020.

1. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    My trusty old Tivo Mini in the bedroom suddenly started trying to boot last week and no amount of removing the power cord and waiting 15 seconds then reinserting would break it.

I replaced it with the less-used office mini, deliberately using the same power, ethernet and HDMI cable from the old one to at least rule them out and the replacement is working well, so it's for sure the Mini.

I waited a few days, then plugged the loopy Mini into the office, hoping that a long break would help, but alas, the loop continued.

I'm ordering a new one, as this one is many years old. So this means I can dismantle this one either to try to fix it, or to scavenge it for greeblies. Has anyone gotten inside this thing and figured out a fix?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I have a Roamio Pro and four 2nd gen (rf remote) Minis. In the last two or three weeks, two of the four Minis just went belly up.

One is in a constant boot loop, or else gets all the way through a guided setup, shows live images for a few minutes, then reboots. It also occasionally displays the green screen of death. After a reboot, it drops into guided setup every time.

The other can't get past the first TiVo logo (the low rez one) that comes up. The light on the front is on all the time, and it just sits there on the logo.

I'm a bit suspicious that both died within a couple of weeks of each other...

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd recommend contacting TiVo Support. I've had 3 Mini v2’s die within the last few months, all of them with the same logo boot-up loop, and TiVo has offered discount replacements for each (at $40), with a caveat. They replaced the first two with seemingly new Mini VOX units, but the most recent unit received was only the Mini VOX unit, itself, sans any power adapter or other accessories. I’m going to need to contact support, again, for the appropriate power adapter, but the latest post to a related thread has tempered my optimism.

TiVo Mini Vox Power Adapter Specs

dougdingle likes this.
  5. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So support was sympathetic, is sending me two renewed Mini Vox units for a total of $40. The way they put it is the replacement for the older mini is $40, the newer one is free. They don't want the old ones back.

My guess is renewed so no accessories. The Vox power adapter is 1.5 amps, the Mini is 1.0 amps. The bottom of the mini says nothing about how much power it draws. I guess the only thing to do is try the mini power adapter and remote with the Vox if they don't send one.

Also, I'm hoping the Vox doesn't force an 'update' to the new (TE4?) interface.

6. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    Wow, I had to Tivo take a dumb on me doing the same thing. Staying on the Tivo boot screen. I called, they said they could only replace one at a time, to make sure it was the MINI. OK, then it cost me $85 for just a new Reman Mini VOX, that's it. Nothing else, no power supply or new remote, etc. It fixed my problem and is working in that room now. So I called back to get the other one replaced and that was another $85 with tax and for the same thing. So getting 2 at once and only for $40 seems like a crazy good deal. I asked the first time about a lower price and they told me no. Mine were 5 years old if that changes anything.

Mine did get updated to the new Interface automatically.

7. bjarmon

bjarmon New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Honestly these things should last more than 5 years, but $79 is really a decent price for something that retails for nearly $200 (whether you believe that it should be that high or not). Not many companies that I've dealt with that will offer discounts for hardware failure after 5+ years with no additional commitment (looking at you Verizon Wireless).

8. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Well, if you consider no moving parts in the Minis, and usually being on 24/7 so no power surges, a 5 year life is indeed pretty short. Strangely, I've had four fail over the years, and they were all right around the five year mark.

The CS rep did make a big deal out of the fact I've been a TiVo user for about 20 years when he told me what my pricing would be. He did go off for a bit to get permission to give me that pricing, although for all I know, he went to get a coffee and play with his dog for a few minutes.

In any case, I hope the refurb'd units I'm sent are good. The last time I had a Mini fail, I had to send the first two replacements back for various issues, but the third one's been fine and is not one of the ones that failed currently.

9. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    I had one of my Tivo Mini's die about a month ago, and another died about 4 or so months ago. Both 5 years old. Is this a think of Tivo Mini's taking a dump around the 5-year mark?

The Refurb Unit I got, a MiniVOX without any accessories. I unplugged everything in the Tivo Mini, plugged it all into the MiniVOX. The remote I had still worked, though I rarely use it as I use a harmony remote which still worked. For some reason, I was getting these screen flickers, and popping noises here and there and thought, Umm, Maybe this refurb is bad. But just in case, I got another HDMI cable and plugged it into the MiniVox and directly into a free HDMI port on my TV and all was good. So I pulled the Original cable out and plugged the new one in its place into my HDMI splitter Box. Everything was still good. So a bad HDMI cable!!! Now that I think about it, I was having a bit of those Issues with the Tivo Mini. In no way did it affect the Tivo not booting up though.

When I called, they would only let me replace 1 of them to make sure that was the problem, a Bad Tivo Mini. So When I swapped and plugged everything in, it started booting things up. Even with the flicker and popping noises. Though it kept booting over again on the Startup screen. It would load each section say it's finished, click OK and then repeat the same thing over again and it did it 3 or 4 times before getting past that. I assume it was installing the new Interface, etc. Got tot he home screen and all was good except for that flashing on the screen, going blank quickly, and the popping noises here and there as which point I tried the new HDMI cable which cured that issue. Strange as HDMI cables really shouldn't just go bad like that.

So I have another TivoVOX Refurb on its way for the other bedroom. It'll take just over a week to get. This was Yesterday, Saturday that I called and got another one ordered. I guess these new VOX units support 4K? The Bedroom TV's are only 1080P. I did get a new 4K 75" Samsung QLED for the Familyroom, but of course the Tivo Roamio is not 4K. I know, none are $K for OTA recordings, just Streaming. Do you get 4K Streaming on a MiniVOX even though its using a Roamio? I do have a HDHomerun as a backup used in PLEX and I actually have Pre-Ordered a 4K HDHomerun for OTA 4K Recording.

HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Is your Roamio on TE3 or TE4?

I have a couple of miniVOX's coming as replacements, I'm on TE3, and I'd like to stay there for now. I'm hoping the replacements don't insist on having TE4 to function.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini Vox will adopt the version of its host. You will be given a choice. You may have to use the remote in IR mode with TE3.

13. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I haven't been here for quite a while. What's the buzz on TE4? Do people still hate it as much as when it came out? Have there been improvements?

Does it still look like the child of a web browser that married a cable set top box?

Has there been any talk of TiVo just forcing the migration to it at some point?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What Joe said, plus I believe that being on TE3 vs TE4 affects 4K/UHD streaming support for one or more of the apps in some way.

I'm being vague because I've forgotten the specifics; I think it may relate to HDR support? The following article confirms HDR may hinge on TE4, but I'm a bit concerned to not see Mini VOX listed as a compatible device.

TiVo FAQ: What is HDR?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 1:10 PM
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, tentative success. I finally got around to calling TiVo Support, and they're supposedly shipping me a TiVo Mini 4K Power Supply (free of charge, no S&H) to go w/ the accessory-less Mini VOX. I didn't have to cajole, beg or anything, so it may all be a matter of traditional CS roulette.

One note, though... I *did* have to confirm that they were shipping me the correct power supply: the CS rep initially said that she was shipping me the power supply at no charge, but I was concerned that she'd used the generic term given the variety of power supplies/cords/adapters that come with TiVo's. And I'm glad I checked, as she said that she was shipping me a TiVo Stream 4K USB Cable! I highlighted the compatibility issue and after giving it another try she came back with the correct product name, so fingers crossed.

Product Description
    A00390 TiVo Mini 4K Power Supply

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM
  17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL