Tivo mini sound is very low via optical out from TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by houman, May 4, 2018.

1. houman

houman Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Redmond, WA

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Roamio connected to a Sonos system and the sound is excellent.

However in my Office I have a Tivo Mini connected to a Samsung TV (KU6300) and optical out from TV to a Sony HT-M300/B speaker and the volumes are very low. Comparatively speaking, my PC/Mac or PS4 have very decent volume to the same speaker. I tried different HDMI cables and connecting the Tivo Mini to different HDMI ports and it's the same issue. There is not much difference in volume between PCM or Dolby settings either.

So I pretty much have to crank up the volume on the speaker so I can hear the voices, etc every-time I switch to the Tivo Mini.

I was wondering if others have the same issue.

All Tivo's are on latest Hydra release version.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Sounds like a TV setting issue. As an alternative, what about going from the mini straight to the speaker with a breakout cable?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have no difference but my Mini use HDMI. I'm just posting to indicate I see no audio level difference between the Mini and the built-in tuner. I am sending DD. It drops to PCM when in menus since I can hear the sound effects which are absent in DD. If you can hear sound effects (you may need a restart on Hydra) then it's in PCM mode which is lower on all My TiVo boxes.

4. houman

houman Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    The mini doesn't have an audio-out, just HDMI out which goes to the TV. Also my PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, PC and Mac don't have any volume issues (they all go to the HDMI ports on the TV) and out to Sony Stereo using optical out from TV for sound.

So I disabled TV->Optical Out in the Sound Settings, so the Sound comes via TV's Speakers and I can change the Volume on the TV itself and the sound is fine. Again on my main Tivo which is connected to the Sonos Sound Bar, everything is fine, and I wondered if it's a Tivo Mini thing. I'll play around with the Sound settings on the TV, maybe it's doing something when it's sending TV sound out to the Stereo.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Ah, you must have the new mini. The first two versions have separate outputs.

6. houman

houman Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    So last night I noticed that the audio-effects (menu sounds) were not working and the Tivo mini is in DD (Main Roamio with DD has no issue) - So I changed it back to PCM and those effects started working, and I noticed the sounds were a little bit better from the TV. Then I went to my TV and changed the HDMI Sound from Bitstream (which allows DD) to PCM. And I have to say that the sounds were much better (at least 100% gain)

Maybe it's a Tivo mini issue with Hydra after all.

JoeKustra likes this.