Tivo Mini over WiFI

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Whoever58, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019

Advertisements

I just bought a refurbished Tivo Mini. It's my understanding that this has only Ethernet and no WiFi.

I bought a WiFi/Ethernet bridge. I plan to use this to bridge from my WiFi network to my new Mini (when it arrives). My TiVo is connected via Wifi.

Will this setup work?

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    No. Your setup will successfully fool the Mini into thinking it is connected to your network via ethernet, but the TiVo also needs to be connected by ethernet for this set-up to work.

Additionally, even if you then connect the TiVo to your network via ethernet, then the answer becomes "Maybe" because it will all depend on the robustness of your WiFi/Ethernet bridge.

3. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    I'll try with another WiFi/Ethernet bridge, to fool the Tivo into thinking it is on Ethernet.

If it doesn't work, then I will have to consider the effort to extend my wired network, or perhaps set up another WiFi network on a different frequency or channel just for the TiVo devices

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That has a good chance of working. It depends if you have a good router and decent bridge. What model TiVo?

I have been using a basic Roamio connected to a EX7000 that is a host for a A93 Mini using (at the moment) a WUMC710. I can stream or watch TV forever without disconnects or dropouts. I use the same band/channel/frequency for all TiVo units. My other stuff can use a different channel if it wants to, plus a printer using 2.4GHz.

5. zubinh

zubinh Active Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

If you wait 6 months, you'll be able to buy the Wifi Adapter for Tivo Minis

TiVo Mini Wireless Adapter Slated For Midyear Release @ $60

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^This^

Obviously not a Premiere, but chance of success are best with a BOLT and least with a 4-tuner Roamio.

Just for completeness sake, is MoCA (networking over coax) not possible — for either the DVR or Mini? (What’s your Internet connection type? Is the DVR tuning OTA or cable? Where do you have coax outlets available? ...)

It’s correct that TiVo Minis lack built-in Wi-Fi, but they are capable of either Ethernet or MoCA connectivity.

7. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    My Tivo is a Roamio. Currently with a Cablecard installed, but we do so much streaming that I am considering installing an antenna.

My cable comes into the house at multiple places, getting the appropriate filter or filters in place could be difficult

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And I expect that compatible wireless bridges can be had for less than $60 per. The soon-to-be-released TiVo wireless adapter will offer benefits over a generic wireless bridge (direct wireless cnnxn to a BOLT DVR, configurable via TiVo UI), but no reason to wait if the user is capable of the simple steps of configuring a generic wireless bridge.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have multiple coax runs to your home from the provider pole, or do all the coax runs emanate from some junction box on the side of the house? The former would be a speed bump to a *whole home* MoCA network, but may not preclude MoCA connectivity for one or the other of your TiVo boxes.

For the improved performance, and to free-up the wireless spectrum, exploring a MoCA connection would be worthwhile. Wireless is entirely doable, given the right gear and environment, but Ethernet and MoCA are preferable.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I expect to buy one as soon as it's available. It will be the first USB adapter, since the wireless G, that will work with a TiVo. What did I say? Stop speculation. I need to follow my own advice.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    All the coax runs emanate from a box on the side of the house.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  14. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Thanks.

I am going to try to use the Ethernet bridge/WiFI approach. I have one bridge installed, another on order plus a new WiFI router (will be configured as an access point, not a router). There should be plenty of bandwidth available with the new Wifi access point (supports b/g/n). I needed a new access point anyway.

We do a lot of streaming over Wifi, using both the Tivo and Roku boxes. It works well, even with the old, slower access point (WRT54GL) that we have.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sounds like you were due for a wireless upgrade, so good to hear.

Of course, another good way to upgrade wireless performance is to shift traffic that can be wired off the wireless spectrum, leaving the wireless spectrum to those devices with no other networking option.

16. Whoever58

Whoever58 New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    My second Wifi/Ethernet bridge arrived, so I continued with the setup of the Mini. The Mini saw the Roamio, and then put a screen that the Mini had the "New Experience" version of software, but my Roamio did not. I opted to downgrade the Mini.

Unfortunately, the attempted downgrade resulted in a boot loop on the Mini.

The Wireless spectrum is quite crowded here. I had already moved my access point to CH 11.

17. skibum80906

skibum80906 New Member

Aug 3, 2019
    What kind of wireless adapter are you using? Will the standard Tivo wireless adapter work?

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TiVo wireless N adapter will work, given that it has short range and crap for a UI.
    There's no silver bullet here. Can't you use MoCA, Ethernet or Powerline? In that order. Do you have a wireless laptop that can stream well? But here's my list, in no special order:
    DAP-1650
    RE6500
    WUMC710
    TEW-800MB
    Use Google to see the manufacturers. I also run 5 devices off a EX7000 and RE580D. The most important part is the router, since without a good router nothing else matters. My current router is a Netgear R8300. I have used a R8000 also. The R8200 and R7500 are full of bugs.

The DAP-1650 is the most modern looking. It's used for my Mini VOX at the moment.

krkaufman likes this.
  19. mikeatx

mikeatx New Member

Sep 2, 2019
    This works fine as long as your wireless network is relatively modern. I've been using Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO Access Points for my Tivo Mini's for 11 months without issue.

20. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Hi Joe,

Just curious. Why did you list Ethernet after MoCA? If you have Category cable to each TV, and a good network, wouldn't that be even better than MoCA?