TiVo Mini Network Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ben_Jamin75, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI

Advertisements

Hi networking gurus, I need some help.

Problem:
    TiVo Mini comes up as "lost connection" after watching about 15 minutes of a recorded program. Able to stream an entire movie from Hulu Plus, and several episodes of a TV show from Netflix on the mini without losing connection

Equipment:
    Roamio Pro, Mini, Arris Cable Modem/Wired & Wireless Router/Home Phone (Model TG862G), Netgear Power Line Adapters (Model PL1200).

Setup:
    In an apartment, Roamio in living room, mini in bedroom.

Roamio is attached directly via Ethernet to Cable modem, showing a 1000 Mbps connection

Ethernet cable from router to Netgear power line adapter showing a 1000 Mbps connection

Mini is attached via Ethernet cable to second Netgear powerline adapter.

Troubleshooting performed:
    Connected an old laptop to the Ethernet cable used by the mini, (turned off wi-fi), LAN connection status shows 100 Mbps (laptop not capable of more).

Temporally connected mini via moca and had a stable connection. (not really a long term option due to where the cable jack is vs. furniture layout)

Questions/Thoughts:
    Is my issue the power line adapter connection?
    Is the Arris modem/router the issue? (maybe it can't handle the traffic between the 2 ports, but can handle the traffic from the internet?)

Something else I haven't thought of?
    Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I use the Arris modem router combo with no problems. But I run straight from the Arris to the mini. Same with the Roamio. Why involve the extra Netgear adapter?

3. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    The Roamio is in the same room as the Arris, the mini is not.

The power line adapters (made by netgear) are how I am getting the signal from the living room to the bedroom.

4. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    I was having the same problem using Ethernet over Power adapters. Once I switched to coax all is fine.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

"Is my issue the power line adapter connection?
    Is the Arris modem/router the issue? (maybe it can't handle the traffic between the 2 ports, but can handle the traffic from the internet?)"

Hi,
    I would bet the issue is with your powerline adapters. These may do the job for things that do not require sustained high speed data transfers but not reliable for you.
    The best option is to use the builtin MoCA on your Roamio and Mini. The only problem you are going to run into is getting a couple POE / Whole Home DVR filters, on on the input to the first splitter coming into your home and probably one on the cable gateway. In an apt, you may not have access to the location where your first splitter is and you may need to get your cable company out to get one properly installed.
    You could just enable MoCA now though and see if you can get it to work but it will generate noise/ interference for one or more of your neighbors and needs to get resolved before longterm use. The filters are also inportant to secure your network.

6. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    I'm familiar with MoCA, I've used it in the past.

Living in an apartment, I'm limited by what I'm allowed to modify. The apartment is pre-wired for cable, but the wall that the bedroom jack is on is on the other side of the room. I would have to run coax past the door, over the door, or go three fourths of the way around the room including across the front of the closet. None are practical options.

7. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    I believe that I have found a solution.

I bought a gigabit switch. Roamio & Mini (mini via powerline adapters) are the only 2 devices attached to the switch. (And of course a patch cable over to the router for Internet access).

So far in my testing I haven't had any signal lost errors.

I suspect that serving as cable modem, home phone server, wi-fi and gigabit switch was just too much for the Arris to handle. Normal computer traffic would be more forgiving of some lag, unlike a TiVo to TiVo Stream.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The "100 Mbps" is just the link rate, not what the connection will actually deliver. If you had another PC, you could test the actual communication rate using a program such as LAN Speed Test.

Also, Netgear provides software for monitoring the connection rates for their Powerline adapters. Have you tried running their software to see what it says is the effective connection rate between the Powerline adapters?