1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Mini MOCA stopped working C33

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jbs42, Apr 13, 2018.

1. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I have a Roamio+ and 2 Minis (9300 and a 9200) on FIOS all connected over MOCA with no issues since I set it up 2 months ago. This morning I watched some TV on the 9300, then this evening it won't connect over MOCA. I reset all the devices (router, DVR, mini) and it won't connect. The 9200 was fine so I swapped the locations to see if it was cables and the 9200 was fine and the 9300 was still broken. I did a full factory wipe on the 9300 and it was still broken. I moved the 9300 to a cable right off the splitter and still no connection (C33 error). It seems to work fine with Ethernet but that isn't an option. Any advice? I don't know if there was a SW update recently or how to easily check that.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Worst case use a MoCA Adapter and ethernet the 9300 through it?

-KP

fcfc2 likes this.
  3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Was it able to boot up? Sounds like it did, so the Moca is working. Make sure you do the reboots in ascending order. Everything off. Power up starting with the router.

4. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    The Roamio+ and 9200 talk fine over MOCA. For some reason the 9300 won't join the network.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    UCLABB's full power reset suggestion (i.e. all devices off) has been seen to remedy odd MoCA problems. I *do* recommend giving it a try before giving up on the A93's MoCA.

6. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I disconnected all devices from the LAN and turned everything off. I then powered on the FIOS modem, FIOS router, Roamio+, then the 9300. Still no connection. I then used Ethernet and got the 9300 working fine. I then switched to MOCA and it worked for 10 minutes. It would then disconnect/connect at random and finally this morning it won't connect at all on MOCA. I tried entering a static IP/DNS but it won't take the configuration. Not sure what to do with it.

There is one other device on my LAN that won't connect either. I have a USB/Ethernet print server that won't get an IP when connected via powerline in our office. The VoIP connected to the same powerline works fine, just not the print server. When the print server is directly connected to the FIOS router, it works fine.

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Any firmware update for the USB/Ethernet print server.
    If you give the USB/Ethernet print server a fixed IP address will it work with your powerline adapter?

8. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I cleared out the old DHCP entries in the FIOS router and assigned it a static IP in the router and on the Mini. It works for about 2 minutes after a reboot and then stops. It only seems to work after rebooting the Mini and only for a short period of time.

I'm not sure what is going on with the print server. There may be underlying DHCP issues but I'm not worrying about it now.

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know exactly what is going on with the troublesome mini, it does sound like there is something wrong with it's MoCA circuitry. If that is the case, options include contacting Tivo support, sometimes they offer "refurbs" for a good price in cases of failure like yours. Another option would be to live with the mini and use a MoCA adapter with it and a final long shot would be to try and install a MoCA filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home. MoCA filters are not needed on Fios for security purposes but it will do no harm and you will get a slightly stronger MoCA signal on your coax network and it might help given that your mini's MoCA works occasionally....but I still suspect a bad mini.

10. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    It sounds like the MoCa circuitry has gone bad. I agree with the above advice.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

fcfc2 likes this.
  11. tvcc

tvcc New Member

Apr 17, 2018
    New I have two tivo's on a MoCA network on cox cable. 3 weeks ago they installed a mandatory digital phone modem and wiped out my internet. they solved the internet problem for wifi but the MoCA is not working with my tivo's. Cox says they have never seen a MoCA. They know nothing about tivo it's all tivo's fault.
    Has any one else had this problem?
    Do you know of anyone in Omaha, NE who knows MoCa's and tivos?
    HELP!!!!!!!

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  14. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I picked up this MOCA adapter for $15 on Amazon and everything was back up and running in under 5 minutes. MOCA to Ethernet and Boom, all good. I guess the MOCA adapter in my 9300 is just shot. Bonus is I now have a wifi repeater upstairs to boost my signal when I'm in the bedroom on my tablet. I determined the print server is just shot as well and seemed to die by coincidence.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow--congrats! I wonder if there's any downside of the linked Actiontec wireless extender/MoCA adapter (great price there and nice to have the extra wireless benefit) over the "standard," significantly-more-expensive MoCA adapters typically recommended. Any difficulties in the setup or operation?

16. jbs42

jbs42 New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    There was zero setup to get it to work out of the box for Ethernet. I had to login to the device to configure the WiFi to be the same SSID and password as my main FIOS router but that only took an extra 60 seconds.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Great to hear, thanks. A nice deal, and especially relative to the "typical" $50-$75 TiVo MoCA adapters (and with the dual ability, both MoCA and wireless, besides).