Tivo Mini moca encryption key

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Richard Adams, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Richard Adams

Richard Adams New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    I have a Tivo Bolt that I got a couple months ago and it works fine. Have one mini that was working ok through a moca network, but then it would lose the connection after a few minutes, saying that it couldn't find the network. I fiddled around with the settings on both the mini and the Bolt, but accidently clicked the "No Encryption" option at one point and now it won't connect at all. I don't know what the encryption key is or where to find it. Any help?

Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hardly anybody ever uses MoCA Encryption with TiVo.

I've never seen a TiVo device have Encryption enabled by default.

What device is your Mini connecting to via MoCA?

Or, log in to it and copy/paste the Encryption Key.

-KP

3. Richard Adams

Richard Adams New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Thanks, kpeters59. I just have a Tivo Bolt. I'll look in the setup for encryption -- haven't found it before but the menuing system can be a bit opaque.. Do you have any hints where I can find it? I have the mini disconnected right now and the coax connected directly to the TV so I can at least watch that (it's an antenna system, no cable service). I'll reconnect and reboot everything, see if that helps.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    You can't "just have a bolt"...MoCA requires a device at either 'end' of the wire.

Maybe it's your Router that is the 2nd MoCA device? Can you log in to it? The Motorola/ Arris devices sometimes have Encryption enabled by default, but if your TiVo was using it, somebody would have had to enter it in to the TiVo. Did somebody else set it up originally?

The TiVo MoCA settings are in Settings>Network.

-KP

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe knowledge of the Mini was assumed. (“Other than the Mini, ...”)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Assuming the BOLT is acting as the MoCA bridge*, the OP could just disable MoCA on the BOLT and then reconfigure the BOLT as the MoCA bridge, either leaving privacy disabled or setting a new password.

I’d confirm a “PoE” MoCA filter was properly installed before disabling privacy, though.

* p.s. If the BOLT isn’t the MoCA bridge, what device *is* bridging between your coax/MoCA segment and your Ethernet LAN?