Tivo Mini loosing connection to Tivo Bolt +

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brutal, Jan 13, 2019 at 9:21 PM.

1. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    Hello all,

I have a Tivo Bolt+ 3 TB and a Tivo Mini Vox. The Tivo Bolt+ was originally connected via Wifi to my 5G Wifi, but when I called Tivo about it, they informed me that it was due to poor Wifi signal as the Bolt+ was loosing connection. So I switched it to my 2.4 Wifi and have four bars on that unit now. The Mini Vox is connected hardwired via Ethernet.

But the issue is still ongoing. I'm not really sure what else to do except for run a hardline to the Bolt+. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Could you maybe give us a more complete listing of the components involved? Model numbers are helpful.

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Wifi bandwidth is too low to handle streaming video.
    Either go Ethernet or MoCA (ethernet on coax)...

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    I'm not really speaking regarding streaming video, my disconnects happen on Live TV or DVR'ed items.

Here is the exact items I have, including equipment from my ISP.

Modem/MTA: Technicolor/Hiron E31N2V1
    Router: Netgear R9000 X10 Nighthawk
    Switch: Netgear JGS524NA
    Main Tivo: Tivo Bolt+ 3 TB TCD849300
    Secondary Tivo: Tivo Mini Vox TCD9500

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes it is streaming video from the Bolt to Mini, even if its LiveTV.

Wifi is not supported for its lower bandwidth.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Who’s your ISP?

If you have a BOLT+, then you’re using it with cable, likely have cable for Internet, as well, and so should look into using MoCA to network the BOLT+, if an Ethernet connection isn’t feasible.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe the Hitron E31N2V1 is a MoCA-capable gateway, were it operating as a gateway; however, since you appear to have it configured in bridge mode, to function strictly as a modem, then its built-in MoCA bridging feature is disabled. So... you’ll need a stand-alone MoCA adapter installed at the modem/router location (effectively as a MoCA access point) to which the BOLT+ could then connect as a MoCA client. There are many options to choose from for a MoCA adapter, but the best value for maximizing the throughput to/from the BOLT+ is the Motorola MM1000.

You’ll also need a “PoE” MoCA filter; more info here. (A “PoE” MoCA filter should be included with a MM1000.)

p.s. An added benefit of getting the BOLT+ wired as a MoCA client: Extending wired connectivity at a MoCA-client TiVo DVR

8. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    I will look into these items, thank you. I may also just opt to run an Ethernet line, since I have the stuff floating around for it already. I currently have Spectrum and have their gigabit package.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the Mini connects via this switch, you may want to check/disable the IGMP Snooping setting.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’d recommend reviewing your coax plant, and reporting what you find. (How runs interconnect, through what specific components, etc)

11. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    Yes, it does. I will look into it tomorrow.

The way my coax goes is from the pole, to a signal booster/amp, than to main splitter, from main splitter it goes to the MTA, than one for each TV.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is this an in-line amp (1 line in, 1 out)? Brand/model #?

13. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    I will have to look tomorrow, Spectrum installed it.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Brutal

Brutal New Member

Sunday
    Here is where things come in to the house, best I can get without crawling under the house (it is zero out, I would rather not do that).
    20190114_092833.jpg 20190114_092805.jpg