TiVo Mini Freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by kes601, Oct 11, 2015.

1. kes601

kes601 Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Now that they have pushed out the latest updates to my Minis they freeze every few seconds watching live tv and I have to unplug them and plug them back in, wait 10 minutes for them to boot only for the cycle to happen all over again.

Any suggestions? Was digging the TiVo setup but at this point I'll take the painfully slow FiOS Quantum boxes, at least I could watch TV with them.

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You don't mention what type of connection you are using for the mini, but usually that type of issues is network related, instead of rebooting the mini try setting static /fixed IP'S on all of your Tivo devices. Then reboot the router and any switches you are using. Good luck

3. kes601

kes601 Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. The roamio did have Ethernet straight to the router. I've tried both moca (coax straight into the mini) and Ethernet using an actiontec moca bridge. Both setups yielded the same results. I ended up switching the roamio and mini between rooms and it seems to have stabilized. Will go in and set dhcp reservations for the roamio and two minions.

4. mjcxp

mjcxp Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Rebooting the Roamio usually resolves the freezing issue.

5. kes601

kes601 Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Tried that first, didn't help. Not really sure what was going on, but seems ok at this point.

6. lct4000

lct4000 New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Just wanted to mention that just in the last couple of days I've had the same problem appear on my Mini's. I also happen to be on Verizon FIOS. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm using powerline gigabit ethernet adapters, and my 2 Mini's had been working without a problem for 2 months, until now. (Moca is not an option for me)

Live TV and recorded playback are fine for a minute, and then go into stuttering and skipping. I've tried resetting the Roamio, the Minis, and the powerline adapters, and haven't had any success yet.

EDIT: Are you using powerline ethernet by any chance?

EDIT 2: Doing some more research, I found this thread, which I am going to try out: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=531635

7. kes601

kes601 Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Not using Powerline, have tried both Coax and Ethernet, doesn't seem to matter which I try. The problem came back again yesterday. Kind of a PITA if I have to reboot the Roamio every few days just to watch TV in another room. This is my only complaint with TiVo at this point.

8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi again,
    If you have a spare Ethernet cable to try on the Roamio and mini, I would try that.

9. kes601

kes601 Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I did realize yesterday that the Ethernet switch I was using was "Green" so I've removed that from the equation, if it doesn't permanently fix it I will try swapping Ethernet cables on both devices.

10. Cori

Cori New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I am having the same issue on a two week old mini. I called tech support today about this and their answer was to either try swapping it out or buy a bolt. So far this mini has cost me all new ethernet cables, a new router, and a twin pack of moca adapters. I don't know what else I can do but the freezing is irritating to say the least. Is this feezing a new issue or has the mini always suffered from this?

11. bfwk122

bfwk122 A Tivo owner from the beginning.

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    I experience the freezing with the Mini for the first time last night. The first thing I tried was unplugging the Mini and that did nothing, so I unplugged the Roamio and that did fix the problem, but this is the first time anything like this has happened. The units are moca network. I hope this is not going to be a ongoing problem...

12. cpgar11

cpgar11 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
  13. Cori

Cori New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I chose to RMA my Mini today. I couldn't deal with the freezing issue anymore or the inactivity timer. Its a cute product and I wish it had worked out for me. I'm getting a Roamio Plus w/ free slide remote and $99 lifetime service to replace the Mini with. I think this will be a better setup for me overall. I hope tivo deals with this freezing issue for all of you that can't rma your mini's.

14. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Just an FYI, I have two mini's connected to a Roamio Pro Via MoCA and have never had a freeze up on either one.

15. Cori

Cori New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Thats great to hear. I too was using moca, but I tried ethernet as well. Same problem, perhaps I got a bad unit?

16. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Sounds like a bad unit to me. Especially if you've tried it on MoCA and Ethernet. What does TiVo Tech Support say?

17. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    I am having this same problem. Bought this mini used from ebay a month ago. I have requested to return the mini. But, I do not have high hopes on being able to do so.

The specifics of my problem are: after some period of time (hours?) of inactivity, the tivo mini stops responding to remote control buttons including the TiVo Button and the live tv button. When the freeze happens, the video emitted by the mini (from HDMI) can be the image of a paused tv content, or a black screen. When it is in this state, I have seen a message posted on the video output indicating to press the TiVo Button or the live tv button to resume using the mini. When I press the remote buttons, nothing happens, but the light on the remote flashes. The only recovery I have found is a power cycle, and then the cycle repeats. It may take a week to repeat though. The mini is connected to my Roamio OTA over Ethernet cable. How to further trouble shoot this problem? I have not tried assigning a static IP address for the Roamio and mini yet. Is it likely that is the problem?

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't address the specific problem, but every Mini will drop its connection to its host after about four hours. It will return to Home or TiVo Central. After about 20 minutes the screen saver you described kicks in.

If you have the time, you might test a timeout issue by hitting any key every three hours. I don't use fixed IP addresses per se on my Mini units, but I do use reservations. I don't think they matter so much anymore. On your router, you might disable IGMP Proxying, which seems to help some people.

19. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If your remote is set to 'RF', you might try switching it to 'IR' after it fails to determine if that's the problem...I've seen the RF portion be flaky and require a reboot to work properly again.

-KP

20. Paul Reger

Paul Reger New Member

May 6, 2018
    How to switch between RF <-> IR? I have a Roamio remote.